Self rescue in Geelong?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Camo pom
Apprentice
kayak: Outdoor expedition camo fish 2

Self rescue in Geelong?

Post by Camo pom »

Hi folks so I need to practice self rescue can anybody suggest a safe place around geelong? Just don't want to get in any bother,although I won't be doing it on my own but I really need to be in about 2m of water so I can't cheat and just push off the sea bed!
brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Self rescue in Geelong?

Post by brettrobo »

just get a mate with a boat or another yakker for standby.

ive done my Scuba rescue course and the best thing i ever did was choose a day that was high wind/swell and low vis.

take along a life jacket and give it to your buddy to throw you in case you need it.

as for good location, anywhere with water really and close to land
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Indented heads is a great initial place, you've got a fairly large sand bank to practise without any real risk and it's generally pretty sheltered you can then push out to slightly deeper(over head) water but still sheltered, and then a bit further again you get some nice chop and some truly deep water. Plus if things go pear shape you can hang onto the yak and as long as it's not a NE wind you'll get blown to shore.

I take the kids there for their annual practise each year.
Camo pom
Apprentice

Post by Camo pom »

That sounds like the go ratfish! I might have a go this weekend if I can get my mate over for support. After being out when the wind really picked up last Wednesday I think it would be a very good idear!
FECKIT
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outfitter with twin 200HP Mercs ;)

Post by FECKIT »

Camo pom wrote:Hi folks so I need to practice self rescue can anybody suggest a safe place around geelong?
just avoid doing it near a pub, centrelink or any shop that sells moccasins - you should be pretty right

HTH
:evilgrin:
J
Image FECKIT... Let's go fishing Image ImageImage
Camo pom
Apprentice

Post by Camo pom »

Lol! Warning taken,don't want to find my yak up on bricks with my fish finder missing!!!!!
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Great to here you are doing this, should be more of it :clap:

Make sure you have a buddy and your PFD on and practice shallow and calm water to start with. Not only yourself but both together, one assisting the other. No good going out deep if your buddy cannot help and you cannot get back on. As your technique progresses so can the depth and the conditions you practice in. Practice draining techniques, you may have an SOT but it still helps to know if you take on water or find someone with an SIK in trouble. You can do this by forming a T shape, run the bow of their kayak, up over yours so you can then lift it break the seal and drain some of the water. Once you turn it back, they can then mount the kayak from the stern and shimmy forward to the seat while you help stabilize the kayak or then move side on to the kayak and brace/stabilize as they remount that way. Often if someone cannot get on from the side, they can get back on from the bow or stern as they can be pulled down below the water line making it easier to get on top of.

Practice side entry which with an SOT, rod holders etc stopping bow or stern entry and is probably more likely to your personal scenario.

Practice if approaching someone already in the water, keep their kayak between you and them so it is harder for them to pull you over if panicked. Stabilize their kayak from the opposite side by laying your paddle across both and then laying (while still seated) across both kayaks and with a firm grip (Not as easy on an SOT). Get your mate to try and pull you over as if panicked.

Don't just practice getting on, also learn how to right the kayak, if you can get some old stuffed rods etc, stick them on to help protect your good gear and make it as realistic as possible.

Practice taking control of the scenario if you are the one on the assisting kayak, be the one in charge and control. Communicate instructions clearly so you both understand whats going on.

Have a good look at your PFD's etc, do you have a knife/line cutter/scissors in case you become tangled in fishing line or leashes. Do you have a mirror or whistle to get someones attention if separated from the kayak.

You can practice poor form a million times and still be poor, you can have a few quality practices and become quite proficient.

Some good links and quality reading;
http://www.canoe.org.au/site/canoeing/a ... escues.pdf
http://www.useakayak.org/recoveries_res ... roach.html

Some good Vidoe's, the first one's are SIK's but the techniques are good to watch;
http://www.broadbandsports.com/node/27339&gvsm=1

This one is a stern mount, Note how low the stern goes and how easy it is to get on top.

This one is an SOT, he demonstrates a line tangle his PFD both off and on water so you get a clear picture, very good to watch.

Having trouble righting your kayak, do a stern mount with it upside down, then roll it.

All different scenario's but handy to know just in case. Hope it helps.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Camo pom
Apprentice

Post by Camo pom »

Thanks Elm! All really helpful hints and tips. I have 4 kids so its important that I stay safe.hopefully get out with my mate this weekend and have a go at the different techniques ,we both have SOTs but the vids were really good makes it much easier when u can see it being done properly! Just finished fitting my nav light ,just need some reflective tape and I think All my safety gear is in order thanks again for your help.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

My pleasure completely Richard, the more quality practice we all have the safer the sport and people involved in it will be.

There is a lot of info out there but most is for sea kayaking and white water with clean hulls. If you watch them all you soon see it is all quite similar and we can use some of that info, but for us with rods etc attached to the hull we need to think more about it.

Most of the fishing kayaks don't have safety grab ropes the full length on both sides of the hull but we do have an anchor trolley on one side that can be used if needed. We need to be attuned to entanglements more because of all the leashes, fishing lines with hooks/lures attached. Creates etc also make the kayaks harder to right. I remember when I first started to learn and all my practice was with a clean hull, then I capsized kitted up, confident I knew what I was doing I soon became aware that was not the case when I could not get the kayak back over. I ended up copying the technique in the last video to get the kayak back over.

After that I started doing things a little different, got rid of the create and access weight off the top of the hull and stored inside where it has a lower center of gravity. Changed my line rigging to clips so all leaders with hooks/lures etc are easily removed and started to practice re-entries with the gear on the kayak.

While I do recommend practicing with rods etc, see if you can get some sh!t ones from the market or better still the tip so you look after your good stuff. Chuck them in a old bag and take them in the car every third trip fishing and when the day starts, start with the S#!^ rods for a quick dunking. Why the start? That tests whether you clothing is up to scratch and going to keep keeping you warm even after a dunking ;) . Anyone can take a dip, then dry off and change for the trip home, it's when your out there that your clothes also have to be up to the task.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

doddsj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2009 Hobie Outback

Post by doddsj »

G'day,

If you know someone with a decent sized swimming pool you could practice in that.

Cheers, Steve.