Self rescue in Geelong?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Camo pom
Apprentice
kayak: Outdoor expedition camo fish 2

Re: Self rescue in Geelong?

Post by Camo pom »

Thanks again guys for all the great help! Just beginning to look in to the clothing for winter yaking thinking about shark skins? But they seem a bit pricey! But like elm says you need to know your clothing can do the job and keep you warm when you are out at sea, very important when you've took a dunking!!
Camo pom
Apprentice

Post by Camo pom »

BIG THANKS to Blahger!! Went out this morning and did half hour of falling out and getting back in again! good times!! Got some good advice and idears. Good to know if I do fall out I can get back in again! Once again thanks Blahger!! :up:
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Well done Camo pom on takeing a dip and learning how to survive:clap:and extra brownie points for blah for being there to help out and advise :thumbsup: .Sharkskins might be a bit on the pricy side but apart from my pfd they are must have for me on the yak in the cooler weather ,also consider Probe for they have a good range as well ,I have probe pants sharskin top, sharkskin socks ,thermal gloves ,probe wetsuit boots and the one word that comes to my mind in the middle of winter is heaven ,look forward to your fishing trip reports

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Yes agree, well done for getting out and to Blahger for helping out. The thing with any "GOOD" clothing is its going to cost, if you shop around you can do it cheaper but it is not as always as good. I have heard a lot of good things about the Sharkskinz, Scuba Doc just got some probe gear in which I got to have a look at, it is not bad stuff and reasonably priced if you shop around. Buy quality the first time and it save's in the long run as you get to use your investment (kayak) more and stay comfortable while you do it.
While most of weather and water temps are on the cooler side I think more is better and specially if it is layered properly. I would rather get warm and have to try and cool off than get cold and have to pull the pin, that way I know if I hit the drink or the wind blows up cold + wet wind chill, I will have a better out come.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Camo pom
Apprentice

Post by Camo pom »

I think you are right! Now I'm that bit older i have decided that getting cheep kit is false economy I'd sooner wait and save up for the good stuff that I know will last. So I'm filling the piggy bank ready for the winter! Plus I'll look dam good!!! :evilgrin:
blahger
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Leyland P76 Island of Adventure

Post by blahger »

Helping out? This bloke just kept falling out, I thought i better hang around....... :)
Affiliated with the badger protection league
http://www.badgerprotectionleague.com/
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

blahger wrote:Helping out? This bloke just kept falling out, I thought i better hang around....... :)
Need some training floaters does he blahger ?
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,

Cheers
Eddie

swit
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Espri, Kingfisher

Post by swit »

Thanks for all that info Elm, it was all very helpful. I did the swan dive from the yak the other week and had great trouble getting back in even though I could do it 2 years' ago...I'm afraid the old muscles aren't what they used to be! So, short of getting some male hormone injections to boost my girlie muscle mass, I'm getting myself set up with a paddle float and stirrup to see if I can do it that way.
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Hi Swit, good to here you are staying safe as well and trying new ways to cope. Be careful using a stirrup that it does not become a tangle point. Make sure you are with help (Buddy) when practicing and good luck.

Cheers
Eddie

Camo pom
Apprentice

Post by Camo pom »

Yep I need training floats! Thinking of getting two more yaks to use as outriggers!! :lol: