Which PFD?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
gidget
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Malibu mini-x

Which PFD?

Post by gidget »

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advise on which pfd to get when I get my kayak. The budget is <$150.
So, please tell me which one you think would be best for the money, as I don't really have an idea of what to look for.
and if it helps, I'm 6'2".

Cheers!
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: Which PFD?

Post by Babylon »

I like the ultra trek pfd its comfortable and has pockets for storage.cheers jimbo :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

The Type 1 PFD has the greatest flotation, are truly classed as a life vest and there are 2 types, inflatable and foam filled. The foam filled you will probably find two bulky to wear on a kayak, the inflatable, while very comfortable and minimalist is only any good if it is inflated. With the risks of cold shock or a blow the the head from a kayak hull in a capsize, IMHO are also not suitable for a kayak.

The Type 2 PFD is a buoyancy vest not a life vest, it will only help keep you buoyant and they are a foam filled vest and IMHO these are probably the best option to wear when on a kayak. The foam is not s bulky as the Type 1 so a little easier to wear with the least bulky discomfort. Having pockets while being handy can also make it more difficult to swim with the vest on and also make it harder to do a wet re-entry. Having a good idea of what safety equipment you will be carrying on your PFD will help you decide on the amount of pockets you will need. Minimal amount of safety stuff attached to or inside your jacket IMHO should be a mobile phone, torch (waterproof), knife or line cutter, line scissors, whistle, water dye, mini flare, V sheet, and non glass reflective mirror, you may wish to add VHF/UHF radio, PLB/EPERB, aerosol horn, sealed mini first aid kit, chemical light stick etc etc sure there is something I have missed.
It should also pass Australian standards. There are many different models but while they are comfortable and have a great name in the USA, have not been accredited under Australian standards and if caught wearing them, will be found to be not conforming with the regulations and possibly fined, Stolquist Fisherman to name one. The Ultra Tech do have a very good name also Storm (I think it is) they Are Australian made, Hobie also have a nice PFD which I think is made be Storm on there behalf (but don't quote me on it).

IMHO Type 3 are not an option, definitely not suitable.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Post by SurfanFish »

I have 2 ultra trek's. One that came with a yak I bought second hand and was a tad too small. Liked it enough to buy the next size up. I think I paid about $130 for it a few years back.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
gidget
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Malibu mini-x

Post by gidget »

Thanks for the replies, Brilliant post also Elm.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Timely thread this as after having an extreme vertigo attack on the water recently and also being diabetic, I'm going to change my PFD when it comes due for servicing in a couple of months. I might not always be able to pull the inflation toggle before hitting the water!

Has anyone had a Hobie PFD?

Dig
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

Post by momunny »

Hi Guys,

A post that i Placed earlier in the year also ask some of the questions and answers. PDF inlfatable vs non inflatable and what they do, but definately Type 1 in what to aim for.

http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=151

Hi Digger,

I have a Hobie type two PFD for that reason...get knock unconcious and no chance to raise the manual type 1 PFD. They are ok to use, designed to be used with the hobie seats and are flairly unobtrusive for kayak fishing. Only issue is it gets very warm in the summer months.
Cheers,

Momunny
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

question ....has anyone tried getting back on a yak witha fully inflated PFD1 ? I could imagine that it could be quite difficult..
I wear a type 2 on the basis that it will help me stay afloat when I become exhausted trying to get back on and is not so restrictive as to prevent me from hauling myself across the beasty.

(did come off a while back and had no problem getting back on the Prowler - it does have a low freeboard which helps - rentry onto an aircraft carrier could require winches!)

I reckon though it if your'e wearing cotton/denim/or other restrictive clothing you are going to struggle getting back on - recent issue with yakker coming off in the Barwon river is a point to note.

:!: Does'nt matter how good the vest if the clothing is inappropriate :!:
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

YEP!!
There can be issues getting back on with an inflatable.
I had to help a bloke a few months back for that very reason, also he must have had it too tight and was gasping for air when I got to him.
You can read the full story here:
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... NGHANISTAN
I reckon we should avoid the inflatables, comfortable but maybe not so safe.
I go type 2.
Good topic fella's.

Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

Digger wrote:Timely thread this as after having an extreme vertigo attack on the water recently and also being diabetic, I'm going to change my PFD when it comes due for servicing in a couple of months. I might not always be able to pull the inflation toggle before hitting the water!

Has anyone had a Hobie PFD?

Dig

When im comp fishing i use a PFD type 1, light and doesnt get in the way, but when its rough or going offfffffshore i use the Hobie type 2 foam one.... feels a bit safer if i get knocked out...if i fell out whilst wearing an inflated or foam one, just take it off to get back in its heaps easier, mind you with the PA i can get in from the back quite easily with a pfd on.
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au