Which PFD?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Re: Which PFD?

Post by paddlepop »

Good story Widsa - guy was lucky you were around.

I don't about others but I reckon an open day session when its verging on too choppy to fish - we get a group together with a zodiac or other back up as a safety and we go out without fishing gear and find out just how hard things can be when it gets a bit choppy. Its fine practising when conditions are good but I would like to see what happens in rough and you need to have someone around to help in those conditions. I'm sure you'd get a good turn out fron others....

we could even swap PFDs around so people can see how each perform ?
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

paddlepop wrote:Good story Widsa - guy was lucky you were around.

I don't about others but I reckon an open day session when its verging on too choppy to fish - we get a group together with a zodiac or other back up as a safety and we go out without fishing gear and find out just how hard things can be when it gets a bit choppy. Its fine practising when conditions are good but I would like to see what happens in rough and you need to have someone around to help in those conditions. I'm sure you'd get a good turn out fron others....

we could even swap PFDs around so people can see how each perform ?
G'day Paddlepop
While I agree it would be a good training exercise, I doubt you would get many turn up for one, but the biggest killer would be the insurance and safety issues which most of us are not covered for. To run something like that you would need qualified rescue personnel on hand, someone like surf lifesavers, and they would make you use the zodiac to mount (which they are trained for), and not your kayak I would think. Unless you get individual insurance the only other way to get it is through a club and that idea seems to get pulled down as quick as it gets started each time it is mentioned so I cannot see it happening anytime soon.

The best any of us can do, is share experiences, both good and bad, and hope that others that read them, learn from them and then make a more informed decision. While I personally will always use a Type 2 because I think the Type 1 (even though it has more flotation) is more dangerous, the regulations stipulate they are both fine, at the end of the day, anything is better than nothing and it comes down to personal preference.

I would much rather non of us ever needing to know if and how they work, but the truth is someone will and it is best that they do at least train to some degree before that time comes so they have some idea.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

I agree with what Elm said about the issues with insurances etc.. :evil:
It sucks because all we want to do is train and encourage safety.
Unfortunately these days people can and will sue for stubbing their toe on the way to launch, thus we are careful with what we organise.

I do think it is a good idea as you mentioned to go out when it is choppy and without the fishing gear.
Its a great way to learn how your yak handles the chop, there will come a time when it chops up out there and the last thing you want to do is learn the hard way.
Its also great fun surfing some waves.

A couple of quick tips:
1) Always try to keep the waves to the front or rear of your yak, side on is a very bad idea.
2) If your surfing a wave in, dig your paddle in to the side that you want to turn (eg. dig the paddle in to the left side to turn left and vice versa.)
3)When surfing a wave, paddling in a forward direction has very limited or no effect, your best to dig in and try to paddle backwards to keep your nose straight down the wave, definitely don’t go sideways when surfing a wave you’ll be lucky to stay upright.

I don’t have a rudder on my yak but have been advised it doesn’t work when on a wave, so if your in a hobie make sure you have your paddle ready before approaching the surf zone.
4) If a wave is going to hit you side on, lean into it.

Its also a good idea to familiarise yourself with the different types of waves that can appear.
For example a wave over the shallows is a lot different to waves caused by winds and tides.
When you get wind against tide it can make for the worst conditions, the wave tend to stand up.

The above is my own opinion and is by no way definitive and possibly incorrect.
Others will probably have their own methods, so take care and be safe!
If your thinking about trying out the chop, put in a trip plan.
Some members may have a crack with you, I enjoy it.

Cheerz, :thumbsup:
Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

PDF 1 inflatable pump up realy quick when you get the handle caught on a seat belt buckle in the car
road tested mine in the back of the car last night bugger it - fitted a new canister today
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

What were you doing in the back of your car with PFD on the mind boggles :yahoo: :yahoo: Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

cheaterparts wrote:PDF 1 inflatable pump up realy quick when you get the handle caught on a seat belt buckle in the car
road tested mine in the back of the car last night bugger it - fitted a new canister today
Now that would have been funny to witness. :lol:
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

:lol: :lol:
What are you trying to turn your car into submersible?? :evilgrin: :clap:
Or is it a prototype for a new racing type airbag?
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Camfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie outback and Pro Angler

Post by Camfish »

i like the stormeys
the hobie ones are nice tho
Image My Weapon of Choice
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

I have one of the Stormy Kayak PFD's and rate highly. Plenty of storage pockets for bits and pieces, reflective strips on the shoulders and back. Granted I have not tried a re entry with it on yet I dont see it being a hindrance especially on the prowler with its low freeboard (I think thats the right word :oops: ..)
Now this is where my opinion on PFD's differs from a lot of others. My view is it is highly unlikely that you will be knocked out by capsizing your kayak. I used to surf my first kayak down at Ocean Grove in some decent surf, and yes I did cop a couple hits to the head but nothing that would knock you out. In the bay I would, and this is only my opinion read what you want into it, think a strike to the head even less of a chance. The way I see it the chance of getting hit by a boat and being knocked out is more of a risk. In saying that I have read stories of kayakers who have been run over by boats and one in particular was lucking to come out with his life. He was wearing a PFD2 and it was lucky for him that the kayak actually kept him from the props of the boat. All the others that I have heard of used a PFD1 and where able to get down away from the props. I may be completely wrong here and I'm not saying which is better it is just how I see it.
Now saying that with the Hobie Islanders I would use a PFD2 as there is a higher chance of a heavy knock to the head by the mast or a ama.
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

I think you mean that the other way around Kelly, pfd 2 would let you dive under/avoid things, whereas a type 1 would keep you afloat if knocked unconscious. Canoe Victoria run training sessions and accreditation and would certainly be an option for someone looking for people in the know, not that they fish out of theirs so slightly different issues you'd be facing once the kayaks loaded with gear. Keep your freeboard(I think thats the right word :D ) clear!