It is currently 16 Dec 2019, 08:30

What if you fish WPB and fall out?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby laneends » 28 Apr 2019, 12:24

The ideal of course the ideal is fishing with a mate, then they can cut the rope on your anchor and drag your kayak back to you so you can remount. But then that seriously restricts your trips for most people
User avatar
laneends
Vyak Addict
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 15:59
Location: Melbourne, Bundoora
kayak: Quest 11, Quest 13, Adventure 16, Revo 16, ORSki
Real Name: Keith

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby maverick » 28 Apr 2019, 14:21

laneends wrote:The ideal of course is fishing with a mate, then they can cut the rope on your anchor and drag your kayak back to you so you can remount. But then that seriously restricts your trips for most people


One of the reasons Winga made the video was that we were discussing the the young bloke who drowned at Somers, he was fishing with a mate and still drowned. Obviously a PFD would have saved him, but even so, his mate was fully aware that he fell in, but still couldn't rescue him.

I think we need to make sure we are self reliant, but fishing with a mate is more fun. I just wish I had mates. :roll:
Last edited by maverick on 28 Apr 2019, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
User avatar
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
 
Posts: 10072
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 21:49
Location: Mornington
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign
Real Name: TopGunPete

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby Joshua » 28 Apr 2019, 18:56

His mate was already on the shore when he fell in, so he was no more help than any other bystander. With the weather the way it was there was no way he was going back out.

I'f I'm anchoring in WP I'm with a friend.

Gummies and snapper aren't even worth the swim to shore let alone your life.
Yak bests ~ 108cm Gummy ~ 64cm Pinky ~ 60cm Flathead ~ 49cm Whiting ~ 31cm squid. No pelagics, yet.
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
 
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Feb 2015, 21:35
kayak: 2011 AI - 2010 PA
Real Name: Joshua

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby laneends » 28 Apr 2019, 19:21

maverick wrote:
laneends wrote:The ideal of course the ideal is fishing with a mate, then they can cut the rope on your anchor and drag your kayak back to you so you can remount. But then that seriously restricts your trips for most people


One of the reasons Winga made the video was that we were discussing the the young bloke who drowned at Somers, he was fishing with a mate and still drowned. Obviously a PFD would have saved him, but even so, his mate was fully aware that he fell in, but still couldn't rescue him.

I think we need to make sure we are self reliant, but fishing with a mate is more fun. I just wish I had mates. :roll:


I am certainly rethinking the tethering option in tide flow at anchor as its the only alternative to having someone who can go retrieve your kayak for you. Regardless of having all the other gear, remount ability, and calm conditions, you are in a heap of trouble, especially in winter, if you fall in.

For the gippsland paddle challenge for sit on top kayaks having a leash is an entry requirement
User avatar
laneends
Vyak Addict
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 15:59
Location: Melbourne, Bundoora
kayak: Quest 11, Quest 13, Adventure 16, Revo 16, ORSki
Real Name: Keith

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby cheaterparts » 28 Apr 2019, 19:33

maverick wrote:
laneends wrote:The ideal of course the ideal is fishing with a mate, then they can cut the rope on your anchor and drag your kayak back to you so you can remount. But then that seriously restricts your trips for most people


One of the reasons Winga made the video was that we were discussing the the young bloke who drowned at Somers, he was fishing with a mate and still drowned. Obviously a PFD would have saved him, but even so, his mate was fully aware that he fell in, but still couldn't rescue him.

I think we need to make sure we are self reliant, but fishing with a mate is more fun. I just wish I had mates. :roll:


this leads to another question - who has done an assisted re entry or practiced it - we all know and have practiced how to re mount our kayaks ( or should have ) but how many have had to help some one else back on or practiced how they would go about it

the reason I ask is I may one day need help back on and wont to know who I should fish with :lol: - I have to help 2 back on there kayaks one that couldn't get back on and Lee Jo who probably could but had a set of dry pants full of water after a bit of a swim waiting for me to go get his kayak out in the Clealand Bight surf so it was easier to assist him back on than him spend a lot of energy getting back on carrying a sh!t load of water with him

the easiest way I have found to do this is to park on the other side of the kayak than the kayaker you are helping grab there hand and drag them up on there kayak
even if they are pulled up a bit to far your kayak is being used as a raft with this extra help both cases they were able to plant there bum in the seat fairly easy
something worth practising
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length


cheater
0402 208 657
User avatar
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
 
Posts: 5534
Joined: 29 Mar 2010, 07:04
Location: Cranbourne
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.
Real Name: Stephen-The Mud King

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby Gunna » 28 Apr 2019, 21:15

Having a kayak stirrup for many kayaks would help even if placed at the rear.
User avatar
Gunna
Apprentice
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 08 Nov 2016, 10:33
kayak: Ocean Kayak
Real Name: Dick

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby laneends » 28 Apr 2019, 21:39

Gunna wrote:Having a kayak stirrup for many kayaks would help even if placed at the rear.


Problem with aids is that you can become depedant on them. Then one day they are not there, cant be accessed or tangled in some way and you are not proficient in doing it unaided
User avatar
laneends
Vyak Addict
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 15:59
Location: Melbourne, Bundoora
kayak: Quest 11, Quest 13, Adventure 16, Revo 16, ORSki
Real Name: Keith

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby peatop » 29 Apr 2019, 07:12

laneends wrote:
Gunna wrote:Having a kayak stirrup for many kayaks would help even if placed at the rear.


Problem with aids is that you can become depedant on them. Then one day they are not there, cant be accessed or tangled in some way and you are not proficient in doing it unaided

I mentioned this the other day mainly for the PA , however it would/could be useful for any kayak, as you say though Keith don't become complacent you should practice re entry using all possible combinations as choosing just one could leave you stranded :o

Interesting that a tether is a requirement for sot in the gippy challenge.

Thanks for your answer Shane, would it be an idea to put another ss clip on the PFD end for a possible quick release if needed?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated )do we count toadies?
><(((*> J
<*)))><
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: 17 Sep 2017, 19:34
Location: Clifton springs
kayak: Dragon pro, lovig maverick and dune PA14
Real Name: Peter

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby cheaterparts » 29 Apr 2019, 09:05

peatop wrote:
Interesting that a tether is a requirement for sot in the gippy challenge.



it is a surf life saving club running the event - might have something to do with it

I dont need one this year as I'm in a sea kayak it's only sit on tops/skis that need the leg rope
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length


cheater
0402 208 657
User avatar
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
 
Posts: 5534
Joined: 29 Mar 2010, 07:04
Location: Cranbourne
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.
Real Name: Stephen-The Mud King

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Postby Reeling » 29 Apr 2019, 09:21

cheaterparts wrote:this leads to another question - who has done an assisted re entry or practiced it - we all know and have practiced how to re mount our kayaks ( or should have ) but how many have had to help some one else back on or practiced how they would go about it

the reason I ask is I may one day need help back on and wont to know who I should fish with :lol: - I have to help 2 back on there kayaks one that couldn't get back on and Lee Jo who probably could but had a set of dry pants full of water after a bit of a swim waiting for me to go get his kayak out in the Clealand Bight surf so it was easier to assist him back on than him spend a lot of energy getting back on carrying a sh!t load of water with him

the easiest way I have found to do this is to park on the other side of the kayak than the kayaker you are helping grab there hand and drag them up on there kayak
even if they are pulled up a bit to far your kayak is being used as a raft with this extra help both cases they were able to plant there bum in the seat fairly easy
something worth practising


You should have just used your gaff :evilgrin: and seen how the humans liked it

#vegans4life :lol:
Tuna 20.5kg ---Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
User avatar
Reeling
Square eyes
 
Posts: 962
Joined: 22 Nov 2016, 20:20
Location: Altona
kayak: Stealth PF 525
Real Name: Nath

PreviousNext

Return to Safety

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests