It is currently 19 Jan 2019, 23:27

Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.

Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby clintos » 14 Dec 2018, 09:26

Hi all,

picked up the new kayak yesterday and was interested in thoughts on safely transporting. It's a bit over 3 meters and if the photo has uploaded (attachment) correctly you'll see the set up.

I will on occasion be heading down the hwy from Point Cook to Geelong so not sure how important bow/stern lines would be in 100kms? I know a lot of people dont worry about doing this?

Also I dont have a hard point so brought a couple of loops that attach to the engine mount, I'm pretty clueless with this stuff so was going to use a bungee cord if I did use the bow, is this a bad idea as it has give in it?

Sorry for some stupid probably common sense questions.

Cheers

Clint
Attachments
yak sized.jpg
clintos
Apprentice
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 25 Oct 2018, 11:05
Location: Point Cook
kayak: Pedalfish 10
Real Name: Clint

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby 4liters » 14 Dec 2018, 10:13

It’s a good idea to have the yak secured to something that isn’t the roof racks in case they give way mid trip. I just modified a couple of the blue Bunnings tie down straps with some loops and carabiners so I can run them through the handle at the bow or stern of the yak, clip onto the loops on the front of the car or the tow point at the back and tension using the buckle on the tie down.
User avatar
4liters
Lord of the fish
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 11:55
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500
Real Name: Ian

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby mingle » 14 Dec 2018, 10:48

I'd also suggest transporting the yak upside-down (unless you have nice, conforming cradles). It's much better for the hull and also makes it much more stable and 'planted' on the racks.

Cheers,

Mike.
User avatar
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
 
Posts: 2138
Joined: 14 Feb 2010, 16:39
kayak: one
Real Name: Martha Farqhuarson

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby clintos » 14 Dec 2018, 10:52

mingle wrote:I'd also suggest transporting the yak upside-down (unless you have nice, conforming cradles). It's much better for the hull and also makes it much more stable and 'planted' on the racks.

Cheers,

Mike.


I have some of the rhino rack kayak cradles to put on so not concerned about this too much, the store also helped me load on and advised the best way to transport was right way up - otherwise I would need to remove the vantage seat each time.

My journey yesterday was about 30ks in 80kms speed with pretty wild weather, no movement. I've also grabbed a pool noodle to cushion the yak.
clintos
Apprentice
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 25 Oct 2018, 11:05
Location: Point Cook
kayak: Pedalfish 10
Real Name: Clint

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby frappa11 » 14 Dec 2018, 12:23

You leave the vantage seat ON the kayak when you rooftop it ?!

I asked the question from the hobie deal and they said "no no" to that !

clintos wrote:
mingle wrote:I'd also suggest transporting the yak upside-down (unless you have nice, conforming cradles). It's much better for the hull and also makes it much more stable and 'planted' on the racks.

Cheers,

Mike.


I have some of the rhino rack kayak cradles to put on so not concerned about this too much, the store also helped me load on and advised the best way to transport was right way up - otherwise I would need to remove the vantage seat each time.

My journey yesterday was about 30ks in 80kms speed with pretty wild weather, no movement. I've also grabbed a pool noodle to cushion the yak.
frappa11
The force is strong in this one
 
Posts: 198
Joined: 14 Feb 2011, 01:41
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13
Real Name: ron

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby peatop » 14 Dec 2018, 13:01

Im in the middle of building a T loader from scrap i have, i was hoping that i could put the PA on upside-down but with the H rail being so long i don't think its possible, so im looking at using 75mm pvc. I leave the seat in while using the trailer however most of my trips are very short, i would remove it when roof topping, as for the front and rear straps/rope, straps can and do become loose, if you don't have it tied from front and rear it coud very easily catapult from your vehicles. I think that a load restraint requirements for a rooftop load states that there must be front and rear restraints for overhanging loads.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, do we count toadies?
peatop
Lord of the fish
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: 17 Sep 2017, 19:34
Location: Clifton springs
kayak: Dragon pro, lovig maverick and dune PA14
Real Name: Peter

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby Tim399 » 14 Dec 2018, 14:27

I have had a rope tied to the front of a mates kayak save it when it was on my trailer. One of the tie downs had come loose, and if it weren’t for the front rope holding it straight until I noticed it there would have been a big plastic missile going down the highway. It’s cheap insurance.

EDIT: I also transport my PA with the seat in - mine is a boat seat in a pre-vantage model PA. The backrest folds forward and I put an occy strap over it holding it down, reducing the amount of wind it catches. Not sure about how the pedalfish seats work though.
User avatar
Tim399
Lord of the fish
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: 29 Oct 2014, 06:49
Location: Bacchus Marsh
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14
Real Name: Tim

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby Seasherpa » 14 Dec 2018, 14:40

clintos wrote:Hi all,

picked up the new kayak yesterday and was interested in thoughts on safely transporting. It's a bit over 3 meters and if the photo has uploaded (attachment) correctly you'll see the set up.

I will on occasion be heading down the hwy from Point Cook to Geelong so not sure how important bow/stern lines would be in 100kms? I know a lot of people dont worry about doing this?

Also I dont have a hard point so brought a couple of loops that attach to the engine mount, I'm pretty clueless with this stuff so was going to use a bungee cord if I did use the bow, is this a bad idea as it has give in it?

Sorry for some stupid probably common sense questions.

Cheers
Clint



Hi Clint,
Extra tie downs are never a bad idea, the front is security under acceleration and the rear under emergency braking. Even if you aren't using front and rear ties you can loop the centre straps trough a handle or scupper to help prevent a wet hull squeezing out from underneath the straps like a whiting. I wouldn't recommend bungee or ratchet straps for kayaks, use cambuckles for the cradles and either a rope with a truckies knot, or a purpose made tie down (avail for <$50 from Anaconda) will do the job.
Image
User avatar
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
 
Posts: 2716
Joined: 28 Sep 2012, 11:31
Location: Newport
kayak: Lots of glass ones
Real Name: Eoin (Owen)

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby clintos » 14 Dec 2018, 14:42

frappa11 wrote:You leave the vantage seat ON the kayak when you rooftop it ?!

I asked the question from the hobie deal and they said "no no" to that !


Yes - this surprised me also! I went to remove it and the guy said they are fine, you just lay it all the way backwards and tie it off. It actually makes sense when you see it.
clintos
Apprentice
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 25 Oct 2018, 11:05
Location: Point Cook
kayak: Pedalfish 10
Real Name: Clint

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Postby frappa11 » 14 Dec 2018, 15:04

I will give that a shot - the hobie dealer who sold me mine may just have been covering his ass. It would save a bit of work.

clintos wrote:
frappa11 wrote:You leave the vantage seat ON the kayak when you rooftop it ?!

I asked the question from the hobie deal and they said "no no" to that !


Yes - this surprised me also! I went to remove it and the guy said they are fine, you just lay it all the way backwards and tie it off. It actually makes sense when you see it.
frappa11
The force is strong in this one
 
Posts: 198
Joined: 14 Feb 2011, 01:41
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13
Real Name: ron

Next

Return to Safety

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests