It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 10:16

Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?

Re: Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Postby DaveCandy » 10 Nov 2018, 13:10

I'm Tim's brother, with the RTM K-Largo.

I opted for a larger kayak for stability purposes, with the trade-off of being more difficult to maneuver out of the water.
It's been anything but. Loading it onto the roof of a lifted dual cab ute was easy, and in the water you have good stability, to the point of being able to stand up in some cases.

As Tim mentioned, I'll knock it down to 650 for a forum member, at least I know it'll still be getting around on here.

Sorry, trailer not included ;)
Attachments
Kayak 2.png
DaveCandy
Apprentice

kayak: RTM K-Largo

Postby clintos » 10 Nov 2018, 14:08

Hi Dave, as stated earlier I'm after a pedal yak sorry, best of luck with the sale!
clintos
Apprentice

kayak: none yet - looking to purchase

Postby choppers » 10 Nov 2018, 15:27

Good buy right there for someone :thumbsup:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
choppers
PHD in Yakology.

kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Postby 4liters » 10 Nov 2018, 17:11

clintos wrote:the effort that comes along with such a craft.

You will find this isn't nearly as much effort as you think and a lot of it comes down to how you organise you gear. All the stuff I take out with me lives in the milk crate I chuck on the back of the yak so packing/unpacking is pretty straightforward - the crate has a drift chute, EPIRB, flares, anchor, rod holders, tackle trays with gear for targeting everything from squid to bronzies, bilge pump, rope and a ruler.

This afternoon was a case in point, my yak weighs more than twice as much as ecoronad/Erwin's (he mentioned earlier his hull weighs 20kg, my Slayer 13 is 47kg empty or something ridiculous like that); we both car-top our yaks and we started packing at the same time. We finished at pretty much the same time despite me spending time talking S#!^ with Peter and having a lot more fish to put away on top of all the gear.

The only time I think a smaller yak would be nice is when dragging the fucker over soft sand, but those balloon wheels would make pretty light work of sandy launches. I find there's enough solid launches like minor boat ramps or beaches with hard packed sand that this isn't an issue.
4liters
Lord of the fish

kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Postby laneends » 10 Nov 2018, 18:01

I have a hobie quest 11 mainly for rivers etc often where you are launching down awkward banks etc. Ok for mild days on the bay but if it chops up it gets real squirrelly and the nose buries in the waves due to lack of forward bouyancy, and I would rate it as one of the most seaworthy yaks at that size. I also have a quest 13 and the difference for bumpy water is a huge contrast. It comes down to increased safety margins. Flat water, not much difference. Used to have a typical ebay 3m yak and the quest 11 is infinitely better than that was
laneends
Vyak Addict

kayak: Red Quest 13, Ivory Quest 11,Ivory Revo 16

Postby DaveCandy » 10 Nov 2018, 19:36

clintos wrote:Hi Dave, as stated earlier I'm after a pedal yak sorry, best of luck with the sale!

All good, no rush to sell. Has been a good first yak, will wait til the right home comes along :thumbsup:
DaveCandy
Apprentice

kayak: RTM K-Largo

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions