Malibu mini-x

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
delboy1203
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Mailbu Mini-X

Re: Malibu mini-x

Post by delboy1203 »

anacondayak wrote:can a rudder system be put on one of the normal mini x or is it just the stealth with the pedals? and when i say fit im sure its possible for one to be put on, but with relative ease lol, also with the rec and fishing one, is there much difference or mainly storage space? i cant see the point in spending 200 extra if its something i can do myself with minimal fus and cost, i noticed on the rec one it even has the actualy circles where the storage is at the front and back its just filled in? the stealth seems like a good little yak too but with the main difference being a bit of extra storage and a load difference i cant justify getting it if thats all the differences? can you guys try to answer any of this jumbled mess of questions to help me out and make sure i dont end up paying 300 more than i really need too? cheers lads
Not sure it is worth paying the extra. I have never used the 2 extra rod holders up front (can't reach them from a seated position, so prob never will) and to add an extra bucket up front wouldn't cost $200!

Just my 2cents...
TackleBoxHQ to feed your fishing addiction!
anacondayak
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Malibu Mini

Post by anacondayak »

Yeah thanks for your help, so far I've read the front rod holders are rubbish when you use them your gear gets soaked and in the salt water that's no good... And yeah xtra storage seems stupid unless for the sole reason of transporting somewhere plus I'll be mounting am xwing which has extra storage anyways, thanks for your help :-) much appreciated...

P.S anyone wanna do a mini review type thing of the xwing console? Lol just let me know if it's any good/worth mounting? So far I'm leaning towards yes? But any help would be great!
Cheers Lads

PM me for some fishing!
delboy1203
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by delboy1203 »

anacondayak wrote:Yeah thanks for your help, so far I've read the front rod holders are rubbish when you use them your gear gets soaked and in the salt water that's no good... And yeah xtra storage seems stupid unless for the sole reason of transporting somewhere plus I'll be mounting am xwing which has extra storage anyways, thanks for your help :-) much appreciated...

P.S anyone wanna do a mini review type thing of the xwing console? Lol just let me know if it's any good/worth mounting? So far I'm leaning towards yes? But any help would be great!
Depends what you want it for. Mounting rod holders? I looked at the X-wing but then considered the Railblaza Dash instead - better value for money. Also saw in a post that the X-wing offers quite a bit of wind resistance on bad weather days.

Have a look at this topic: http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5382
anacondayak

Post by anacondayak »

Oh really? I guess I can imagine it would provide a little resistance, I like the idea of the extra storage and all that which is provided by the xwing, but yeah I guess that might be an issue, do you know how easy it is to just yank off the xwing? Okay now I guess I'll have to really start thinking haha :? :? :? Brain hurts already :?
Cheers Lads

PM me for some fishing!
delboy1203
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by delboy1203 »

anacondayak wrote:Oh really? I guess I can imagine it would provide a little resistance, I like the idea of the extra storage and all that which is provided by the xwing, but yeah I guess that might be an issue, do you know how easy it is to just yank off the xwing? Okay now I guess I'll have to really start thinking haha :? :? :? Brain hurts already :?
No idea. You'll have to check with somebody that has one. Or maybe one of the guys that works at BCF and frequents these forums.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

anacondayak wrote:Oh really? I guess I can imagine it would provide a little resistance, I like the idea of the extra storage and all that which is provided by the xwing, but yeah I guess that might be an issue, do you know how easy it is to just yank off the xwing? Okay now I guess I'll have to really start thinking haha :? :? :? Brain hurts already :?
The X wing just slides on and off, there is a locking clip either side of the X wing to lock it into place. Some say they catch the wind and some say its not as bad as what people make out. It will catch a little wind, how much it affects the kayak I dont know as I dont have a Malibu/X wing, but looking at them I think it would be marginal.
Perch76
kayak: Malibu Stealth 12 & Wavedance Sierra

Post by Perch76 »

I don't reckon the wind would be an issue with the x-wing, well no more than rocket launchers or a livewell. A head or tail wind isnt an issue as the console is no bigger than your torso and sits in line, in a side wind it would only have a small surface area so it shouldnt cause any drama's.
Perch
THE FORMAL BIT
THIS BLOG IS NOT SPONSORED OR SANCTIONED BY SUPER RETAIL GROUP.SUPER RETAIL GROUP IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF THIS BLOG.
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

I've heard mixed reports on the xwing, some say lots of wind others not so big, those that said lots tended to have x13's which whilst longer sit lower in the water than the mini. Those that aren't worried tended to have the big boys like the extreme or x factor, they're going to catch plenty of cross wind regardless. Can't imagine it'd be much worse than a crate in the back but I've never bothered with one for my mini
anacondayak

Post by anacondayak »

Well cheers lads Given me something to seriously think about :thumbsup: thanks for all your input
Cheers Lads

PM me for some fishing!
luke_warni
kayak: malibu mini x

Post by luke_warni »

in sore at bcf warrnambool myself and the bossed pimped out a yak and it included an x wing. overall it is a neat looking unit and i think it would be a great work station for rod holders and a sounder. it also has a screw out hatch that offers additional storage which is awsum as whe in the yak the centre hatch is not quick to access. well worth a look at one. and very easy to install.
A DAY SPENT FISHING IS A DAY BETTER THEN WORKING!
this blog is not sponsored or sanctioned by super cheap auto group. super cheap auto group is not responsible for the content of this blog.

Whos keen for a fish? 0411316500