Malibu mini-x

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
davelow
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA 12

Re: Malibu mini-x

Post by davelow »

Great review mick.

Bought one about 1 month ago, love it mainly because of its weight (18-20kgs). I have a longer Malibu X13 as well, whilst it is a great sea kayak, it can get a little heavy to lug around especially if its for a short 30 minute paddle at the local lake.

Otherwise love both my yaks :)

cheers,
Dave
jessejaay
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by jessejaay »

Love the mini x, had one for about 6 months now and love it, very very stable and plenty of room in it :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Jesse.

vaporboy
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: malibu mini x

Post by vaporboy »

perfect yak for me :clap:
pigs jigs
Allan
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Allan »

Great review Windknot.

Given the factory rod holders are so close to the water, would you say it's worth paying extra for the fish and dive version or just get the base model? Is there any other differences between the two?

I like the idea of one of these for the river.

Cheers,

Al
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

The biggest difference between the two is that the fishing model has a bow hatch, whereas the base model has just the middle hatch. I suppose you could easily install your own 6 inch front hatch into the base model. It wouldn't cost anywhere near the extra the fishing model costs over the base model either.

I certainly wouldn't pay the extra for the fishing model if it was just for the fitted rod holders, as they're not well designed or placed. It would actually be an advantage to be able to fit some Scotty compact mounts into the flat areas molded into place where the rod holders would otherwise go on the base model. Compact mounts would fit there, I believe and you would then be able to use Scotty height extenders to lift your rod a safe distance above the water.

I have fitted some Scotty flush mounts to my mini - x and they're all I ever use.

They're a great little yak Al. They're ideal for anywhere you don't need to paddle long distances and yet they're still okay to paddle reasonable distances when necessary. You won't be disappointed if you get one.

Mick
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Allan
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Allan »

Thanks Mick!

I've been thinking of getting a (second) smaller yak for some river missions but struggling to justify another seeing i'm not getting the time to get out in the one I already have.

I saw the MiniX at BCF and thought it looked perfect though.

Hmmm... maybe I could buy one for the wife! ;)
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Interesting review...

I used to have a Revo, but sold it due to lack of use (I couldn't justify having a $2500 yak sitting unused for 95% of the year). I'm thinking about getting something a bit smaller and much cheaper as an alternative.

The Mini-X looks like it might be a good choice, although at the moment $899 is just too much.

I might keep my eyes open for any that are on sale...

Cheers,

Mike.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

mingle wrote:but sold it due to lack of use
So why didn't you use it Mingle? just curious..
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

We had (unexpected) twins, then to make matters worse, we discovered that they both have autism, so between therapy sessions, kinder, etc. there's bugger-all time left for anything...

$2.5K can cover a lot of medical expenses...

Mike.
maverick wrote:
mingle wrote:but sold it due to lack of use
So why didn't you use it Mingle? just curious..
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

I've had mine for 4 odd years now, bought it back before bcf were importing them, I wouldn't recommend the extra cost for the fisherman model, the rod holders need extenders anyway so may as well just do it right once, and i've never needed a smaller round bucket hatch when you have the monstrous rectangle hatch between your legs(once you get used to lifting them out of the way to open it) Great fun in the surf and massive load capacity, prefer to take the kids out on it rather than the tarpon if we're messing around 2 up. Just need to remember to take my smaller paddle because even a tiny push from my carlisle will send it sideways, great rocker for playing in surf and turning on the spot, but not really what you're after if you have long straight distances to travel against wind or chop. Bit of hull slap compared to other kayaks but very little if any water coming over the sides.

Great little creek yak and small water kayak, taken it out in some nasty conditions on the bay, handles them just fine but can be a bit of a pig to paddle against current and cross winds, the fish bandit is very similar and an aussie model, but I hate camo coloured kayaks so passed on that one.