UHF Handheld Radios

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

UHF Handheld Radios

Post by momunny »

Hello All,

I am hunthing around for a UHF radio so that i can keep in contact with fellow yakker on the water and also tell the missus to go buy fishn chip for dinner or not :laughing1:

Questions that might help me decide base on your experiences.

Model:
Watt:
IPX7 or not
Pros and Cons
Out of x/10 what would you give it as a yak UHF Handheld.

Look forwards to some feedback and some advise. :up:
Cheers,

Momunny
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Re: UHF Handheld Radios

Post by HaTTerS »

This is the one I got and was telling you about the other week.

Uniden UH076sx
5 Watt
JIS7 (which is the same as IPX7 (1 meter of water for 30mins))
Haven't used it for long enough to find any cons... and I don't think I'll find any anyway. Works really well, nice and small. Battery never ran out when I used it at Marlo. Some days it was on from 7am to 6pm before I got back to the cabin and put it on the charger.
http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh076sx_index.asp
Poised on the edge of sanity.
MitchT
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by MitchT »

Model: UH720SX
Watt: 2
IPX7 or not- No
Pros and Cons-Pros- Good unit, not waterproof, doesn't really matter in the PA .
Great unit and a great brand.

This is the one I own-
(not waterproof)http://dicksmith.com.au/product/D1974/u ... ck-uh720sx

Out of 9/10 what would you give it as a yak UHF Handheld. I like my one, not waterproof I just keep it in a zip bag. 2Watts and up to 10kms.

Cheers Mitch :up:
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Mobile phone and a list of yaker phone numbers. Works almost anywhere a kayak will go.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Having had quite some time in the radio industry particularly dealing with UHF CB radio, I have to mention that 10 kilometres range H'held to H'held is not common even across water. IMHO You should expect distances far less than that as as average operating radio to radio.

UHF CB's usually offer duplex operation and the country is now covered fairly well by repeater networks which means that the 10 k distances (or more) are available as effectively you are using an antenna on a mountain somewhere to expand your range. I expect that repeater stations are fairly busy busy these days so perhaps conversations through a repeater might/might not be tenable.....emergency messages should however be responded to.

I suggest you familiarise yourselves with repeater channels for the area you are fishing and perhaps get a radio check before setting out. You could agree on a primary talk (simplex) channel after listening for one that isn't in use in that location, and agree on a fall back repeater channel (duplex)if you lose contact on the other. Repeater channels have input and output frequencies so please identify these in your operating handbook and avoid using both sides for normal operation. Repeaters operate on channels 1 to 8 and 31 to 38. http://www.uhfcb.com.au/UHF--Channel-Infomation.php

You need to understand the limitations of a small battery operated radio before trusting your lives fully to it. Some thought should be given to marine VHF radio as an alternative.

Digger
doddsj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2009 Hobie Outback

Post by doddsj »

Dig,

Thanks for that URl you posted. Some interesting information on that site.

Cheers, Steve.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

My pleasure Steve.

Dig
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

Post by momunny »

Hello Dig,

Thanks for the information. Very useful and some handy tip there. I understand the purpose of the UHF radio...I definately will not depend my life on it. :)
However my intention is to find one that I can stay in communication with other fellow yakers at a distance instead of wondering their waving arm gestures and enuendos.

Just another form of communication. Where I kayak usually dont have mobile reception and hence most mobiles dont like salty water.
I know VHF is an alternative but to use it requires a license and also from what I heard the channels get cluttered if all the stinkers are out there. :down:

The only alternative I can think off is a dual band handheld but these are getting up in the $$$ and their size makes them cumbersum in a kayak.

So for the purpose of communication I gather UHF would be sufficient....else i have to dump the revo and buy a PA for all the stuff i have to carry.
With your experience do you recommend any model and what to look out for?
Cheers,

Momunny
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Hey Mo,
You are correct the UHF is better as a 2 way radio, but I think it becomes more cluttered with boat chat than VHF.
I got a VHF because it has a longer range, Weather broadcasts, and is monitored 24 hours by coast guard.
The only downside is the licence but im going to get that done ASAP.

FYI, its not illegal to make a distress call if you dont have a licence, or be in possession of one.

At the end of the day you probably are better off with UHF than VHF for general chit chat between yaks.

Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Firstly it's been 12 years since I last worked so my knowledge of product isn't much help to you.....I certainly don't think that cheap is the way to go and myself I would try to buy a name that is synonymous with such products. GME, Uniden Icom?? (I worked for GME so I am prejudiced I admit)

As far as range goes, if you see them you should be able to talk.

UHF is great for just nattering to one another and you can search around for a clear frequency as in country areas it shouldn't be too bad. Might be a problem around the bays where you guys live and I haven't an answer for that as there are just too many people for the bands available.

Myself I would be buying a VHF, the licence isn't a bad thing as it might filter out some of the dills. There are chat channels on that and at least it is a fair dinkum emergency radio. Also the help should you need it will come from where you are, on the water! Some of the VHF handhelds are slightly higher power than the CB's and all the things you want, waterproof, floating and such are easily available. I'm favoring Icom here. So you can talk amongst yourselves with similar or better performance and you have access to other watercraft in the area and of course the coastguard. You need to think in terms of $300 to $400 for a fair dinkum radio like an Icom.

As to dual band handhelds, not a direction I'd want to go....too many compromises, but each to their own.

Digger