Paddle thumbs

Show off your DIY project!
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Paddle thumbs

Post by Ghurkin »

Got a question that some of you more seasoned paddlers might be able to help me with, Ive been out both days this weekend and done lots of paddling, now maybe Ive got girly hands but right at the base of both thumbs is getting a tad sensitive, is there some sort of tape or anything else that I can put on the pabble to stop this :?:

Cheers Ghurk
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Re: Paddle thumbs

Post by bilby »

Buy a Hobie :D Sorry mate any chance to sink the boots in to a fellow "traditional" yakker is a chance worth taking.:lol:
Bill 0409139460
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Could be your paddle, better ones tend to be lighter and more comfortable on your hands. Easiest option I've found is a pair of fishing gloves, I've got a pair that came from Rays outdoors I think, the thumb and index finger are fingerless which makes tying knots and other things easy and they're thick enough to offer a bit of protection from spikes and other pointy bits you come across while fishing.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

bilby wrote:Buy a Hobie Sorry mate any chance to sink the boots in to a fellow "traditional" yakker is a chance worth taking
there goes your deckie job. :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

bilby wrote:Buy a Hobie :D Sorry mate any chance to sink the boots in to a fellow "traditional" yakker is a chance worth taking.:lol:
wouldnt mind a hobie its just having to get half my brain taken out coz thats all ya need to operate one that bothers me :D :D :D :lol: :lol:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

ratfish wrote:Could be your paddle, better ones tend to be lighter and more comfortable on your hands. Easiest option I've found is a pair of fishing gloves, I've got a pair that came from Rays outdoors I think, the thumb and index finger are fingerless which makes tying knots and other things easy and they're thick enough to offer a bit of protection from spikes and other pointy bits you come across while fishing.
gloves are the go then, off to BCF tonight, thanks ratfish, wonder if they come in ghurkin green :lol: :lol:
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

it could be just a as simple as relaxing your grip on your paddle. if you are gripping to hard your hands and forearms will fatigue quickly. I have had the same problem and found that i was gripping my paddle to hard and with a bit of practice have not had a problem since.

This may may not be the problem

Here is some information on correct technique
Paddling a kayak Power in paddling does not come from the arms . It comes from trunk ( torso ) rotation matched with leg drive ( or leg pressure ) , with the arms little more than linkage between the power source and the paddle . Control of the kayak does not come from brute force . It comes from the right stroke being applied in the right direction at the right time - it ’ s all done with coordination and balance . The Kayak paddle Kayak paddles have two blades , usually set at an angle to each other ( called offset) between 60 ° and 85 ° apart. The following notes assume right handed paddlers and paddles . The old method of determining the length is to stand the paddle vertically alongside you. If you can curl fingers over the top blade, the paddle is about the right length . This method is not ideal and often results in paddles that are too long. The correct length paddle for sea kayaks , flatwater competition boats , skis and similar ( longer vessels with reasonable directional stability) will be such that the bottom blade is just fully submerged as it passes the paddlers '' knee whilst the top hand is at around eye height . This is a function of torso height and seat height and can be very different for two people of the same height with different body dimensions and different vessels . Whitewater paddlers & nbsptend to use shorter paddles that fit in with their lower seating position and smaller boats . The best starting point is to talk to your local AC National Training Provider or AC Instructor , Guide or Coach to get an approximate length to start with . A paddle shaft that is too long creates too long a lever , excessively loading the muscles that are providing the force . The length of the paddle should be chosen carefully as a paddle that is too long can cause injuries and make it impossible for the paddler to perform the correct technique Hand placement Key points With the paddle horizontally placed on the head and the elbows at right angles ( the ‘ surrender ’ position ) , the hands will be at the correct spacing . The hands must be symmetrically placed , with the same hand to blade distance on each side. With the paddle held in front of the body , the right hand blade will be vertical , the left hand blade face up . Keep the hands relaxed . Hands tend to wander along and around the shaft , and the positions should be regularly checked . Placing some electrical tape on the shaft just inside the hand positions can help to maintain your position . Wrist Movement Key points The right hand remains fixed to the shaft : it should not be allowed to rotate ( slip on the shaft ) during normal strokes - however do not throttle the paddle , a light grip should be sufficient. The right wrist is straight for a stroke on the right ( i .e . when the hand is pulling ) . The right wrist is rotated backwards ( dropped ) for a stroke on the left . The paddle shaft rotates in the left hand . * Terminology * o The Bottom Hand is the one closest to the blade in the water o The Top Hand is the one closest to the blade out of the water o Often people put locators or indexes on the paddle shaft on the control side or on side of the shaft A locator ( index ) is a bulge on the front of the shaft , indicating the back of the blade. The control side is the side which retains a firm grip on the shaft ( does not rotate on the shaft ) - in this case it is the right side.
http:/ / www . canoe. org . au / default . asp ? ID= . . . %2 F 17 % 2 F 20
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Defintely as Kelly said it could be technique.
I had the same problem at first.
I used to wear gloves when I first started out but have found that I dont need or use them any more.
As Kelly suggests try relaxing your grip a little bit and practice correct technique.

This video kind of explains the technique:

Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

SDJ wrote:
bilby wrote:Buy a Hobie :D Sorry mate any chance to sink the boots in to a fellow "traditional" yakker is a chance worth taking.:lol:
wouldnt mind a hobie its just having to get half my brain taken out coz thats all ya need to operate one that bothers me :D :D :D :lol: :lol:
I think i just got grilled by the Ghurken. Oh and sorry Mav about all paddlers being weak, (i like your boat).
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

bilby wrote:
SDJ wrote:
I think i just got grilled by the Ghurken. Oh and sorry Mav about all paddlers being weak, (i like your boat).
Bilby.
Would'nt feel to bad mate, He did post coz he was having trouble working his stick thingo. Then has a crack about us. There is something a little bit cool about the ghurkin tho. I like it a lot.
By the way Mav, All paddlers are weak (and i dont like your boat) :D