Bought myself the following

-Cuda 300
-12v battery (9800mah)
-ram mount for sounder

plan on buying
- Light pole
- odds and ends for sealing holes ect

As above,

Got myself the cuda 300 and want to do a PROPER install on my kayak for battery run items i.e gps, sounder, 12 deck light ect.

here is a pic of the battery
this thing is the size of 2x small cigaret packs
9.1cm x 8cm x 3cm

as i dont use the tackle box hatch and its sealed i plan on placing the battery in there (and calved out) as well as the toggles for accessories on the lid of the hatch (waterproof switches of course)
something like this

i just need to find a quiet weekend to start the install really
mango13
Apprentice
kayak: Ocean Kayak prowler 13

Re: Running Accessories

Post by mango13 »

Sounds good brettrobo, I'd like to see some pics when you finish the job. :)
The lithium battery looks great, nice and small and light, tell us how it goes when you use it. :idea:
It should be a really neat set up. :D

Cheers
mango13
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Hi Brettrobo, Hmmmm go careful on the electrics front, almost all (including myself) that go full on installing fitted lights switches etc revert to pre-manufactured sealed/waterproof units and pulling all the wiring back out because of corrosion and water ingress. As for the battery, it looks the bee's knee's and be very interested to here of it's charge longevity, nice and lite that's for sure.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Yuz
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revo, of course :)

Post by Yuz »

ELM wrote:Hi Brettrobo, Hmmmm go careful on the electrics front, almost all (including myself) that go full on installing fitted lights switches etc revert to pre-manufactured sealed/waterproof units and pulling all the wiring back out because of corrosion and water ingress.
I second that, the simpler the better. What works for me are the gold-plated RCA plugs, don't think there's a need to complicate things 8-)
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Yeah mate agree with the others keep it simple, i find simple terminations and a spray of inox every trip keeps everything in shape, plus if something does go wrong i can diagnose it quickly.
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
maccayak
Square eyes
kayak: A clean one with no fish!

Post by maccayak »

No need for all that switch panel stuff, it will last a couple of months and you will be doing it all again. I had to replace my wiring in the outback once already and i heatshrinked and soldered everthing. Just keep it really simple. If you are near Frankston, the battery shop next to Jaycar sells a battery in a nice carry bag and a 12v recharg lead that plugs into your ciggy lighter, cost about $50 and is fairly water resistant. Perfect for kayaks, and I can get a weekend of fishing with a similar sounder on one charge.

Geoff
Geoff Mobile 0438 383 764

VYAK Member No 0003
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Yeah like a few of the others have mentioned, I did the same thing and went down the full electronics route on my first kayak and within 6 months found I was replacing everything while I'm not the greatest it certainly wasn't a slap together job either, kayaks are just downright brutal on metals. Dgax did a killer job on his though one day I might have enough free time to put together something like what he did.
http://forum.kayak4fish.com/viewtopic.p ... %5B/url%5D
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

G'day Brettrobo,
Some good looking gear you have there mate. Not sure if you are aware of it but you need to be extra careful with lithium batteries around water. Lithium is a very reactive metal and will explode if it gets wet; actually has more explosive power, weight for weight, than TNT. Be sure to install the battery in a rugged, water proof box and you'll be laughing.
Cheers
Yacker
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
agrojim
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ocean Kayak - Pacific Angler 3.7

Post by agrojim »

2nd that on being careful with lithium batteries. After a few years playing with radio controlled cars and choppers I've learned about the potential for these batteries to explode. It's a good idea to take the precaution of making sure you charge them in a safe place like out in the garage or even make up a box for it.
More so than other types of batteries, if you see any sign of swelling replace it!
Having said that, lithium batteries are a great battery, and from what I hear, people are having less trouble with them these days.
Cheers,
Jim
My new ride - Seak Mako 3.9
My old ride - Ocean Kayak, Pacific Angler 3.7
brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by brettrobo »

I think you guys are referring to lithium polymer, these are lithium open and the new lipo4 batteries are not as dangerous (to my knowledge)
I will be housing the electronics in a pelican case with fuses so that water/shorts are not an issue.