Kayak storage under the roof

Show off your DIY project!
brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Kayak storage under the roof

Post by brettrobo »

Jef wrote:Very impressive!
I've googled it and there is a south Aus company 'Lifespace' that will deliver to metro Melbourne for $250.
It's a little more, well a lot more than I'd planned but looks an excellent system.
It's attached to a ceiling in all the photos but in my case it would need to be attached to the rafters [around 30 degrees].
Would that still work or would I need to make a bit of a framework for it to be attached to?

Also, I still would like to try and find out what I'm doing wrong or if it's the materials.
rafters would work fine, it would of course reduce the width of the load by a couple of centimeters but as there is no ratio on the pullies they would go up and down at the same rate still and thus have a stable load
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Have a look at this video, it might also give you some idea of how to get it to the side easier ?

Edit: seems I forgot the link :oops:
try again :lol:

Also a simple cheap option for loading/unloading from the car ?
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Both great invensions, but i love the second one, how simple is that. very clever.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

bilby wrote:Both great invensions, but i love the second one, how simple is that. very clever.
Bilby.
That's what I thought when I found it, how easy and cheap would it be to make and fit to your tow bar, make it from alloy tube so the rear lever section is telescopic and you could leave it fitted and just lay the lift boom on your rack next to or on top of the kayak.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Jef
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Mission Flo, Hobie Revolution 13 & AI

Post by Jef »

ELM wrote:Any chance of posting some photo's of how you have done it, how you have routed the ropes through the pulleys etc?
Sorry, I have to get myself sorted in that area! I'll take a photo of the pulley system anyway and when the IT side is together I'll put it up with the excellent sliding track system that I'll have . Probably the most expedient for the moment is to drop back to two groups of pulleys.

A big thanks for the vidio clips. The first one would exactly fit the bill for our circumstances. Absolutely outstanding idea and execution, I'll just have to work out a simple and reasonably priced way to accomplish it. Some more bunnings visits and googles I would think.

I've rarely used pulleys and when I have its been only one or two groups of them, so I'm looking to find out if my approach is flawed [as I'm beginning to suspect]. Everywhere I've looked there have only been two groupings of pulleys. Anyway, if I can get the sliding track operational the pulleys will default to the bikes.
azzo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 010 Outback in Pappy (ole man) Yellow

Post by azzo »

Hey Bozz,
is it heavy to pull up into position
cheers
Azzo
Azzo
Party is on in November be there!
Jef
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Mission Flo, Hobie Revolution 13 & AI

Post by Jef »

It shouldn't be he uses the roller door remote :D
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

azzo wrote:Hey Bozz,
cheers
Azzo
No, because it is a gearbox and you use a 'wheelbrace' type handle. The only problem I have is that I installed it do the hoist is alligned to the yak. When you get it up past half way, you have to move the handle so far to the left, that you need a uni joint to use it. I just climb up a 3' ladder and use a spanner for the rest of it. I am thinking of putting a small 12 volt DC motor on it (a drill would even work)
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

azzo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 010 Outback in Pappy (ole man) Yellow

Post by azzo »

Bozzie wrote:
azzo wrote:Hey Bozz,
cheers
Azzo
No, because it is a gearbox and you use a 'wheelbrace' type handle. The only problem I have is that I installed it do the hoist is alligned to the yak. When you get it up past half way, you have to move the handle so far to the left, that you need a uni joint to use it. I just climb up a 3' ladder and use a spanner for the rest of it. I am thinking of putting a small 12 volt DC motor on it (a drill would even work)
Nice. So let me get this straight
U r gunna pimp the yak holder as well as the yak. Dedicated or fanatical ???
Hehehe
Azzo
Party is on in November be there!
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Dedicated, Fanatical and anal. :lol:
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439