Dry pants for big people

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Nuts
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA14

Dry pants for big people

Post by Nuts »

Hi all,

I was looking at dry pants and as I'm one of the heavier examples I'm just wondering what the bigger people use to keep dry/warm (other than not get wet... not go out when it's cold... etc ;) :P )
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Re: Dry pants for big people

Post by Anthony »

I'm 5' 11", 105kg and I wear a pair of XL Kokatat dry pants that fit well.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

i think the lovigs come in bigger waist sizes
gdog
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Pro angler 14, Blisstik RAD

Post by gdog »

I'm 6ft and 100kgs and fit nicely into the Scott Lovig waterproof trousers, the Lovigs have quite a few fit options and are a little cheaper than the Kokatats
Cold blooded
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

+1 on the lovigs. I've got a pair of the fat sizes as well :lol:
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Lovigs are heavier material than the kokatats, The kokotats dry faster so you have to make sure you unpack the lovigs when you get home to dry them.
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

laneends wrote:Lovigs are heavier material than the kokatats, The kokotats dry faster so you have to make sure you unpack the lovigs when you get home to dry them.
Does this effect their performance on the water or just mean you have to unpack them to dry, looking at getting some dry pants soon.

Cheers Alex
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

With kokotats I take them off and hang over car door and by the time I've packed the yak up they are dry enough to just roll up and store in car until next time. Lovigs wont be dry in this time so I have to unpack and hang to dry otherwise they stink the car. My car is a yak car so everything stays in the car between trips.

Lovigs may be slightly warmer in winter, and maybe hotter in summer, but thats not so big an issue. I found the velcro gave way on the lovigs, similar thing is happening to a lesser degree on kokotats.. I think that is due to the hooks being on rigid fabric and hooks on elastic causing differential strain. lovigs being heavier material probably put more strain on velcro.

As for water proofing they are similar in performance. If you have a sit in a puddle type yak you will end up with a damp butt eventually. I hang my feet over the side a lot and eventually both get a bit of seepage.

On a vantage seat on an outback you should be pretty much dry most of the time with either.

For footwear i found a pair of old runners one size bigger than normal was the best. I did try wet suit booties for a while, but I found with hanging my feet in water the compression increased water seepage. In short my feet now stay dryer, and hence warmer. They are also best when you have to drag your yak up and down rugged launches
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

I usually rinse them in freshwater then leave them to drip dry in the shower before bunging in the dryer for a fluff up :)
Good for the DWR coatings I beleive
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I wore out a pair of kokotats, tried patching several times and now have the Lovig dry pants that I won at a competition. Overall I am much happier with the quality, toughness and look of the Lovigs. The pocket is a bonus as well for things like keys. I'm 6'4" but moderately lean and find either pants offered plenty of room, the kokotats were more baggy in the legs though. Best thing is to go to SLH and try both till you find the right fit.

On the feet I've found a cheap ($15) pair of oversized black runners with velcro straps from Kmart to be the best so far. When doing a lot of pedaling I find having proper footwear makes a big difference and these cope very well with the water plus won't come off in mud etc.
0408 565 763