DIY Downrigger for SWR

Show off your DIY project!
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

DIY Downrigger for SWR

Post by CrazyChenski »

Lesson learned over the weekend. Never try to speed up knife sharpening, just because you got the hang of it....... Else end up like me, with a deep cut to my finger tip which took me close to 45 minutes to stop the bleeding completely. Not to mention, grounded for the rest of the long weekend, not allow fishing.

Since I have time on my hand, I made the decision to make some pre-SWR re-adjustment to my fishing crate on revo, as well as installing the DIY Down-rigger.

Mande it up with an ebay cheapo OH reel spooled with some left over 20lb red mono line, paired with my old broken shimano Sonic Pro rod cut into size as swing arm. As I have a surplus RAM C Ball mount and rod holder, it is easy to just mount it onto my crate, and voila !

Now just need to think of how heavy the sinker I need for this downrigger .......
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: DIY Downrigger for SWR

Post by shane »

Looking good Steve.

I use either a 3 or 4 lb bomb for my downrigger. I've got both with me but may need the spare if the wahoo fire up. I'd suggest you get a 20 or 24oz bomb sinker as the slow speeds with livies shouldn't need too much weight.
0408 565 763
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Forget the downrigger, what are you creating with the push bike?

Good job though. Nice and simple
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Looks good.
Shame u cut yourself sharpening a knife lol rookie mistake :evilgrin:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Might want to think about 20ib line.......50-80lb better, I used to be able to source a down rigger bomb shaped like a torpedo ( should still be available) with a fin to which a person could attach a line release (not too heavy, more like a half kilo) . Gotta keep the setup from spinning, or you will just end up with an awful tangle and bugger up the release.

Imagine the scene.. tangle, tuna, and a big long run ..........( :evil: :evil: ) :shock: .... :twisted:
Last edited by Hvalross on 27 Mar 2016, 21:13, edited 2 times in total.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Post by isportfish »

Wind Waker wrote:Forget the downrigger, what are you creating with the push bike?
I think just a pair of dry pants hanging in front of the bike.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Have you got a release clip Steve? Try to source one if you can, otherwise you can use rubber bands but will need them thin to break at the right weight. Get a very large egg shaped sinker (24oz) and screw an eylet into the side of it. Then attach a large snap swivel to it via a splitring. Test to make sure it won't spin too much. One of my downrigger balls is just a sphere with no rudder and it seems to track straight with the release coming off its middle.

You take a very light rubber band, loop it over the line, tighten then put it in the snap swivel. When a fish takes the bait the rubber band will break and you can raise the sinker and fight the fish. :up:
0408 565 763
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Yep, got a release clip :thumbsup: . Bought that awhile back when I saw it.

I have only 10oz sinker at home, so might pop into BCF to get one. As for the torpedo shape trolling sinker, I did saw one in BCF a few weeks back. but quite expensive........ and big .......
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

CrazyChenski wrote:Yep, got a release clip :thumbsup: . Bought that awhile back when I saw it.

I have only 10oz sinker at home, so might pop into BCF to get one. As for the torpedo shape trolling sinker, I did saw one in BCF a few weeks back. but quite expensive........ and big .......
Steve I used 3 pound ball last year but am going to try a 1 pound weight this year - it would take a pretty strong slimmy to swim that up and I think at the slow pase we troll liveys it should do the job

I have also modified my downrigger for this years trip
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657