What The?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

What The?

Post by Rhino »

This is what we're dealing with?

Maritime Safety Officers came across this guy over the weekend.

No pfd or any other safety related equipment. Tied up to a navigational aid and using a shovel as a paddle. Yes, you read that right, a shovel. Perhaps to dig his own grave.

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: What The?

Post by laneends »

A bonzai kayak to boot
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Geez! Maratime Services ask some really curley questions, Did anyone find two yet? :lol:

On a serious note would it be polite/necessary to inform Maratime Services as well as Water Police, Local Police and Altoma Life Guards (if on duty) of my intention to test tip my yak, activate my PFD and flood then evacuate water. Plan to do it with supervision of a boat and crew.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Hvalross wrote:Geez! Maratime Services ask some really curley questions, Did anyone find two yet? :lol:

On a serious note would it be polite/necessary to inform Maratime Services as well as Water Police, Local Police and Altoma Life Guards (if on duty) of my intention to test tip my yak, activate my PFD and flood then evacuate water. Plan to do it with supervision of a boat and crew.
I did this last week. First time with supervision of my father in the law on the boat next to me. i did it 300m off the beach on an onshore wind so worst case hitting the beach if I couldn't get back in. I wouldn't bother telling authorities if you have others in the water near you. I also tried it again on 20 knots (on shore) with no anchor. Was harder however it has given me the confidence to do it in an emergency situation where help wasn't around.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

From the shallow end of the gene pool no doubt.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Comeing in through the river mouth at Barwon Heads sat arvo I came across 2 yakkers ,one was towing the other kayak as its owner did not have a paddle ...against a incomeing tide to boot ..dickheads every where nowadays
mob 0423 492 759
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

vicyak wrote:
Hvalross wrote:Geez! Maratime Services ask some really curley questions, Did anyone find two yet? :lol:

I did this last week. First time with supervision of my father in the law on the boat next to me. i did it 300m off the beach on an onshore wind so worst case hitting the beach if I couldn't get back in. I wouldn't bother telling authorities if you have others in the water near you. I also tried it again on 20 knots (on shore) with no anchor. Was harder however it has given me the confidence to do it in an emergency situation where help wasn't around.
Good onya! How did you go?
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

What a spanker. Hope he copped a fine for being such a dickhead.. Lucky to be alive.
This pisses me off, stupidity like this jeopardize our sport
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

lol, what an idiot
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

"Its ok guys, theres a lanyard on my shovel" :shock: