BUYING A KAYAK

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
FISHKEEN
kayak: None

BUYING A KAYAK

Post by FISHKEEN »

Hi

We are complete newbies !! In our 50s and my husband is an extremely keen fisherman. Friends told us a little bit of kayak fishing. We are interested but do not know where to start apart from the fact we should buy a stable Hobie or any other kayak that both of us can go out in. Life jackets. A trailer to pull it etc etc. Should we buy a new or secondhand kayak ? Buy it in now and practice during winter to get ready for next summer ? Lots of silly questions but we would really like to know.
Would appreciate some advise or direction as to where we could have a look at kayaks etc. Thanks
rayso
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Adventure Island

Re: BUYING A KAYAK

Post by rayso »

I'd suggest dropping into your nearest Hobie dealer and discuss with them your expectations and go with their advice.
It's more fun doing it on a yak and even more fun with a sail
0429 622004
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

rayso wrote:I'd suggest dropping into your nearest Hobie dealer and discuss with them your expectations and go with their advice.
We prefered seperate yaks - a hobie outback and a sport. Was great advice from our dealer (SLHobie). Then I don't have to compromise whe she doesn't come out :)

Book a demo and be guided by your dealer on what suits your situation best.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

I'd suggest working out whether you need foot power before letting a Hobie dealer convince you of the advantage of pedal power.

Make a rational decision, not an emotional decision. Start with the ideas:
- pedals will add $1000 to cost.
- pedals require maintenance.
- sitting pedalling can aggravate a sore back.
- pedalling may aggravate joint injuries in the legs
- pedal kayaks are generally heavy kayaks
- paddling with the correct stroke uses core muscles (good for sore backs) and is more maintainable than pedalling.
- paddling may not suit people with arm or shoulder injuries
- using pedals, you reasonably stay in one spot in a current or sind without an anchor (major fishing advantage over anchoring)

I am unaware of any unstable fishing kayak. The widest Hobe (PA) is heavy and probably harder to correct if it starts to tip in bad conditions. Narrower Hobies (like Revolution) are more suited to ocean conditions than PAs.

Not sure if you are thinking dual seat kayak. They are OK but heavy. Singles give flexibility when only one person wants to go out.

There's probably more to think about but that should get you started.

New or used? If you haven't been in a kayak before, the right 2nd hand kayak will lose less value while you make up your mind whether kayak fishing is for you. It's a great feeling loading your brand new kayak for the first fishing trip.

I own a Hobie Revolution (has pedals). I like it as a fishing craft but occasionally suffer knee twinges and sore back. I also suffer Golfer's elbow which makes it incredibly difficult to load the kayak on roof racks.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Steve_R wrote:I'd suggest working out whether you need foot power before letting a Hobie dealer convince you of the advantage of pedal power.

Make a rational decision, not an emotional decision. Start with the ideas:
- pedals will add $1000 to cost.
- pedals require maintenance.
- sitting pedalling can aggravate a sore back.
- pedalling may aggravate joint injuries in the legs
- pedal kayaks are generally heavy kayaks
- paddling with the correct stroke uses core muscles (good for sore backs) and is more maintainable than pedalling.
- paddling may not suit people with arm or shoulder injuries
- using pedals, you reasonably stay in one spot in a current or sind without an anchor (major fishing advantage over anchoring)

I am unaware of any unstable fishing kayak. The widest Hobe (PA) is heavy and probably harder to correct if it starts to tip in bad conditions. Narrower Hobies (like Revolution) are more suited to ocean conditions than PAs.

Singles give flexibility when only one person wants to go out.

I own a Hobie Revolution (has pedals). I like it as a fishing craft but occasionally suffer knee twinges and sore back. I also suffer Golfer's elbow which makes it incredibly difficult to load the kayak on roof racks.
I agree with Steves post above

I have only pedaled a short distance in a Hobie Revo and found it Slow and hard work , Compared to my own Paddle yak I would struggle to cover the same distances
I also agree with paddling working your full core as my back cruncher get very little work from me these days - I use to be in for some back adjustments 3 or 4 times a year
I was in to see him the other day and it was 4 years since my last adjustment
So my old Engineers Back has got stronger

I also thought the pedals take up a lot of room where a well designed paddle yak would have storeage --
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Before we start anther pedal versus paddle conversation, I like many on here I have both and my paddle yak hasn't been on the water for 3 years. But others use both regularly. It may also depend on what sort fishing you wat to do and whether you want to roof top a yak or trailer it.

Here is a poll of how people started in kayak fishing that might help you lean towards where you want to start your enquiries. Keeping in mind, many of the pedal yaks come in a paddle version, so you can test both versions at one of the SLH test mornings.

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18326
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

As "complete newbies" you might also want to consider whether you are prepared to learn correct paddle technique or not. You need to learn correct technique to paddle efficiently or you may tire quickly, risk injury and contribute to instability. With a pedal yak, once you have the drive and your seating position correct it requires very little learning other than gaining fitness. You also need to consider your own capabilities, it's not a sport to be taken lightly though many (more and more) do. Are you reasonably fit for your age, could you right the yak in the event of a spill and remount in deep water ?
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Golden rule:

Dont get a yak if you don't believe you have the fitness to climb back in from falling out. That takes fitness and practice.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

We have owned 2 Hobie doubles (Outfitter & Oasis) and 2 Hobie single yaks ( PA14-PIG of a thing & Outback) and we too are in our 50s although sometimes I feel 70.
IF you go down the path of a Hobie double I would suggest you try both as they are very different to each other.
Outfitter is wider, very stable, slower to turn, wetter ride as the sides are low & they are slow.
Oasis is narrower, still very stable, dry ride and are easier to maintain speed than the Outfitter. (and in my opinion the better of the 2)
A lot will depend on where you are going to use the yak too....lakes, rivers, out in the bay?
As suggested, go to a Hobie dealer and go for a test ride.

While 2 yaks can be better if one doesn't want to go out, 2 yaks and all the gear take up a fair amount of room.
I found that after buying 2 yaks that my wife didn't want to go out as far as we used to in the double, whereas when we had the double she was fine with going long distances (although I caught her napping on a few return trips). This was a confidence thing mainly, plus the first time I talked her into going further out, it ended up getting a bit rough and she was tiring, so I ended up having to hold her yak and help her peddle back.

Go thru the previous posts and make a list and head off to your nearest Kayak dealer for the answers.....exclude the knobs at BCF and Anaconda
Cheers Gary

PS, Hobie peddle power is no harder to use than walking once adjusted properly.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

I am also in my fifties (shhhh) a few years ago we purchased a Hobie outfitter tandem. We both suffer a bit from the middle aged spread and were both newbies to Kayaks at the time. My wife is no boat person at all but we found that this rig was stable and safe for the clumsy. The only downfall was that My wife is not a keen fisher either so I spent a lot of time in the Yak by myself. I found that I had to put a couple of sand bags in the front to counter balance my weight in the back. Having said that I believe the 2016 PA tandem has 3 seating positions so that it is very capable of coping with one up or two up...ask your Hobie dealer about that. The other alternative is two kayaks which may end up being a little more expensive but may suit if one of you are not a regular participant. As for the Peddle V's Paddle debate you are the only one that can decide which is better for you however our experience proved the peddles a far better choice. If you can ride a bike you can peddle a Yak. Your leg muscles are far stronger than your arms and therefore can keep going when the going gets tough. Also the hands free fishing is an extra bonus.
Seating positions can be an issue for us oldies but I have sat in both the outfitter and now the PA for up to 10 hours at a time. The Pa is much more comfortable but the outfitter was ok too.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo: