Man overboard western port 16th Jan 2016

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: Man overboard western port 16th Jan 2016

Post by bjspinner »

Well done Pietro, keeping a cool head has saved a life.

Many may not have acted the same way, I hope you are well for the experience and take the advice of Gus as I could have been very traumatic.

Once again well done :clap:
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

Legend stuff Pietro. In my opinion it is a natural instinct for some people to react in a positive manner in that type of situation. The person involved will no doubt will be very grateful that you are definitely one of those people. :thumbsup:
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Hey Pietro;

Well done. Awesome reaction from a true hero.
You can't help all the world's dickheads, but you definitely helped one this time.
Hopefully he gathers his thoughts and lets everyone know what a mistake he made.
But importantly, what an effort you made!
And his mate has a lot to answer for as well!
I got goose bumps reading the report, and could see where it was all heading.........
I want to thank you for your decision to 'make a difference', and let you know that if you have a problem replacing the fin on the mirage drive or the rod, let me know and I'll pitch in for you. Every bit helps.

Well done, and if you need someone to talk to, I'm available.

Once again, well done.

Regards

erik the viking
0407 168816
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Great work mate, the same reason I don't lash rods, I don't care about gear, it can be replaced.

So did you get to them, and the guy in the water that was rescuing the mate help him into your yak and then you hammered it in. Sounds like a bloody stressful situation.

I wonder if that's a situation you pull an epirb if you have one, or is 000 better
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
leap
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Stealth 575

Post by leap »

Well done Pietro. Excellent work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had a similar situation few months ago when Mr Tangle was trying to pass me a gummy on a windy and choppy day. He ended up in the water and the gummy was lost too. Thinking about it, now I laugh but I really really panicked that day. I just did not know what to do. It was towards the end of winter so that water was a bit cold. Mr Tangles tried re entering the kayak twice and failed. Choppers was close by, I was screaming for him. I just could not figure out how to help him. I was scared that if I got to close to him, with wind and chops what if the kayak hits him on the head or some thing.
Any how no one was hurt that day :). It took me a few launches after that to recover from that.

I have the same question hammertym's raised. Would this be a valid reason to use EPIRB?

Once again, very well done Pietro good thinking and execution. Proud of what you did :yahoo:

Cheers,
Leejo
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

hammertym wrote: I wonder if that's a situation you pull an epirb if you have one, or is 000 better
000 would definately be better in that situation. Setting off an EPIRB goes via the satellite to the rescue services in Canberra. They will initiate search and rescue operations - not an ambulance. In this situation an ambulance is what was needed straight away so the right choice was made to call 000. If you were waiting on an EPIRB call out it may take 30 minutes plus before rescue services found you, then they'd have to call in an ambulance.
0408 565 763
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Well done pietro, you not only saved a young mans life, but saved his family from a lifetime of heart ache. You have done one of the best things a human can do, and hopefuly the sea gods will reward you accordingly :evilgrin: i hope your doing well with it all

Tim
leap
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Stealth 575

Post by leap »

shane wrote:
hammertym wrote: I wonder if that's a situation you pull an epirb if you have one, or is 000 better
000 would definately be better in that situation. Setting off an EPIRB goes via the satellite to the rescue services in Canberra. They will initiate search and rescue operations - not an ambulance. In this situation an ambulance is what was needed straight away so the right choice was made to call 000. If you were waiting on an EPIRB call out it may take 30 minutes plus before rescue services found you, then they'd have to call in an ambulance.

Thanks Shane, makes sense. :-)
But if Pietro wasnt in a situation to bring him to the beach for what ever reason. I assume it would be EPIRB isnt it?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

An EPIRB ma6 be useful in that situation but I'd still look to other options first. Remember an EPIRB is essent8ally calling in the cavalry - search and rescue choppers, planes and boats. All they know is that the vessel registered to the EPIRB is in trouble in the location where the EPIRB was set off. There's no way to communicate the nature of the emergency through an EPIRB.

My first preference in that situation is 000 to get an ambulance on the way. 000 can also be used to get the water police on the scene to assist. The next option I would also go to is VHF channel 16, that will bring in water police, coast guard and also any boats in the area able to render assistance. Both these options allow you to communicate what the emergency is and specify the type of assistance required. If you're out of mobile or radio range and in trouble then there's no replacement for an EPIRB.
0408 565 763
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Good call Shane. Makes sense too.

Hopefully I never have to make that choice but it's the risk we take every time we go out

Stay safe everyone
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona