New just saying hey

New? Say G'Day here!
Kris33
kayak: Hobie pa17t

New just saying hey

Post by Kris33 »

Hey all how are ya my names kris just joined up yesterday im farely new to kayak fishing i own a tetra10 been out a couple times with no luck as of yet i was actually thinking of going to pykes creek later this week for some trout any advice on soft plastics or spots would be awsome have a great day....
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Re: New just saying hey

Post by Franko »

Hi mate welcome this is a great place to get knowledge and meet new yakkers
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Hi Kris, welcome to VYAK. Have a good look around and I'm sure you will learn heaps to help you out, especially in the safety section.

I've found the bank on the far side of Pykes from the ramp works well. Troll tassie devils or 5cm trout minnows at walking pace close in along the bank, low light is best. Otherwise the deep water on the far side of the island is worth a look for reddie schools to jig on. Speed boats at Pykes can be a real pain and if they're there in numbers its generally best to press on to Wendouree, which generally fishes a lot better.
0408 565 763
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Welcome Kris, usual drill be sure to read the safety section lots of usual tips in there even if you know what you're about.

As for pykes been a few years but I've done well fishing the shoreline past the island Ballan side in the top NW corner or straight along the shore toward the playground/bridge from the ramp, depends on the wind and what your chasing, alternatively there's some solid trees just south of the island that often hold some Redfin around them if you've got a sounder.

For trout I like black/gold paddle tails, Redfin, anything with red in it.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

As per others I have managed trout out of Pykes, try to stay away from "recreation hours and weather" As it is a speedboat playground, and being small its hard to get away from them.
Kris33

Post by Kris33 »

Hey thanks for the advice looks like ill be going bcf to get some plastics haha thanks for some locations to try out hopefully when i figure out how to add some pics ill have some up from the trip haha and yes i have been reading the posts on the safety side of things...in saying that does anyone have a cheapy way to leash rods to the yak i lost a new rod n reel yesterday forgot to leash alwats a learning experience haha... thanks every one
R3dY@k
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Heritage RedFish 12

Post by R3dY@k »

Welcome to the forum Kris, was good to meet you at Altona yesterday... even though it was too rough to fish.
R3dY@k
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Heritage RedFish 12

Post by R3dY@k »

Kris33 wrote:Hey thanks for the advice looks like ill be going bcf to get some plastics haha thanks for some locations to try out hopefully when i figure out how to add some pics ill have some up from the trip haha and yes i have been reading the posts on the safety side of things...in saying that does anyone have a cheapy way to leash rods to the yak i lost a new rod n reel yesterday forgot to leash alwats a learning experience haha... thanks every one

There is some instructions on making these out of line trimmer wire, have a search on the forum although there is heaps of info online. :up:
Kris33

Post by Kris33 »

Haha cheers guys i will get to reading
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Bunnings go to rope ailse grab some shock cord and some anodised carabiners tie em up and away you go. Many can be made at minimal cost i like the shock cord stretching so you ca run shorter leashes.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes