Safety Concerns

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Safety Concerns

Post by 4liters »

Kingo wrote:
Jordo wrote:So to try and get more exposure for these safety issues ive posted about itfon the victorian kayak anglers and victorian kayak fishing facebook pages. I've so far been surprised by how many experienced yakkers beleive that flags aren't important, or just don't bother using them. It's no surprise then that people getting into the sport are recieving mixed messages. I know a lot of people have gotten to the point where they dont bother trying to tell people how to best go about it anymore, but its the experienced anglers that the new guys are looking up to and take the most on board from (even if they take on very little). I think its vital that the kayaking community be very vocal about the safety requirements, whether it be on the forum, on facebook, or in person.

Great thread - the more we talk about it the better!
Im dumbfounded by the responses on the facebook post i cant believe people throw around S#!^ like that on a public forum that has a heap of very inexperienced people with no clue
Put yourself in their shoes and it probably becomes clearer. For a lot of them getting a kayak for fishing is a short cut to doing away with landbased fishing without needing to buy a boat. They've already cut one corner in buying the yak in the first place, cutting a few more by not getting proper safety equipment isn't a big deal to them.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Also Mav, I have to apologise for questioning you before, I was getting a bit rolled up and couldnt see where you were going with your comment. Its clear that we are both on the same page about the bigger issue of safety though.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

4liters wrote:
Put yourself in their shoes and it probably becomes clearer. For a lot of them getting a kayak for fishing is a short cut to doing away with land based fishing without needing to buy a boat. They've already cut one corner in buying the yak in the first place, cutting a few more by not getting proper safety equipment isn't a big deal to them.
yep for most folks who have never been on a yak and are dipping their toes in the water to see if they like it even a $350 ebay cheapie is a big step. Let alone all the $$ involved in all the 'ideal" gear, just to to see if they like it. people dont spend big until they have the bug.

Then of course there are all the once a year holiday makers. Not all kayak users are fishos who exoect to have a lot of gear.

Watch all the campers heading off over the hols, decent yaks will be in the minority compared to the holiday specials. These folks may stretch to a PFD but that will be about it. That is about as much as they will need anyway. If at least thy have the PFD covered it will be a big step. The other is adults dinking toddlers on these things, especially with no idea about rentering, or boat traffic in the estuaries such as werribee south and barwon.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Never have to apologise to me, I give as much as I get. :thumbsup: i think it is important to discuss safety, what ever the individuals opinion is. Sometimes a persuasive discussion can lead to mind set changes for the better.

I just like the fact we as a group actually may have some input into what may happens with yaks going forward. So the reason for the poll was to try and get a consensus of opinion, even if it is divided - and not just pass on my thoughts.

The more input the better from everyone :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (just as long as you agree wiith me :roll: joking).
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

I was talking to someone today and I said I would fit a flag to their yak for them.
I was told," but I'm not going far, I don't go out where the boats go, and Gee you're taking the fun out of it.
Wow go figure :!: :!:
I was trying to explain that some boats or wave runners some times stray into no go zones, or what if you saw a few dolphins and wanted to go out further to look at them (yeah I know I couldn't think of anything beter to say at that point :D )
I was trying to explain that prevention is better than cure and hi visibility is good for everyone and one can still have a good time (I wasn't talking overkill for them - Good job I didn't tell them all the stuff i have and am still to fit for safety :lol: )
John 3.16/17
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

I certainly think a small air horn is an excellent idea. When a powerboat is racing towards you with the wind behind them and the driver not paying attention (as happened to me recently), it doesn't matter how much you wave your arms around and yell at them, they won't hear or see you. I'll definitely be investing in an air horn now!! Thanks guys for all the great safety advice on the forum. Paul
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

I ride a motorbike that's quite tall, wear all the proper protective gear and have a white helmet. People still don't see me. My protective gear and my own observations of what's going on around me is my insurance. my helmet is higher than most car roofs(read flag). fact , a flag is only visible for skippers looking for dangers. if its that choppy that I disappear in the troughs then I'm going in or not going out. I seldom anchor so can quickly move out of a boats way, which I have done twice, both times when I used a flag. NO I don't use a flag anymore, You want one, good onya. My choice.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
gdog
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Pro angler 14, Blisstik RAD

Post by gdog »

outback paul wrote:I certainly think a small air horn is an excellent idea. When a powerboat is racing towards you with the wind behind them and the driver not paying attention (as happened to me recently), it doesn't matter how much you wave your arms around and yell at them, they won't hear or see you. I'll definitely be investing in an air horn now!! Thanks guys for all the great safety advice on the forum. Paul

I had this same scenario on my last trip out to Rickets. An 18 foot Fizz boat with skipper and crew all watching someone play a fish and heading straight towards me at anchor. The boat was not quite on the plane and was riding bow high, they came within 3 feet of striking my hull- some choice words were used along with some frantic whistle blowing :shock: pretty lucky, this was is broad daylight, I think im going to buy an air horn- that was to close for comfort.
Cold blooded
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I have a safety horn that I bought from the Aldi sale last year. It's a red tube with a hole on the side that you blow into. The sound that comes out is low but extremely loud. Anyway I wnet to try it recently and it seems the diaphragm that makes the noise has now deteriorated so it doesn't work.

So just a reminder to anyone else who has one like this to check it as it may not work when you really need it. A small air horn sounds a better idea.
0408 565 763
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

Why not just paint your paddle blades blaze orange and wave it around above your head. Higher than a flag and moving then put it away when dangers gone. Another thing worth thinking about with a flag is if you're at anchor and a boat approaches from directly upwind or down wind your flag is about a millimeter wide and hardly more visible than the stick its on.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411