Storing your safety gear

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Storing your safety gear

Post by laneends »

Where do your store you safety gear, especially if you have all the requirements for offshore, so you can access them easy as required.
Opening hatches and rummaging around inside the hull is probably not advisable if you are in trouble.

Saw this and thought it a cool idea. apparently developed from being left with only an esky to hang on to
http://bla.com.au/default/lifecell.html ... l?___SID=U
Maybe big for a yak, but great principle
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Storing your safety gear

Post by 4liters »

You could attach something that size to the back of a kayak seat pretty easily I reckon. Pity it costs almost as much as all the safety stuff put together.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

Also seeing as the topic of storing safety gear has been bought up, is it safe to keep flares on your person, or should they be kept separately in the hull or something?

I don't know if they are capable of going off unexpectedly but I can't imagine too many things worse than a flare burning in the pocket of your plastic spray jacket.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I have a red satchel attached to the back of the skipper seat on my PA. It contains some terminal tackle and leader but also my EPIRB, flares, compass & whistle, mirage drive and VHF radio (when not in my PFD). It also contains spare parts and tools for the mirage drive. I take this with me on virtually all trips.
0408 565 763
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

I might do that then. I wasn't sure if it was sensible to have the flares on me in case I got separated from the yak, thats all.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

shane wrote:I have a red satchel attached to the back of the skipper seat on my PA. It contains some terminal tackle and leader but also my EPIRB, flares, compass & whistle, mirage drive and VHF radio (when not in my PFD). It also contains spare parts and tools for the mirage drive. I take this with me on virtually all trips.
How big is your bag if it's got a mirage drive in it :shock: and what tools & spare parts do you carry for the drive?
Thanks
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Yako wrote:
shane wrote:I have a red satchel attached to the back of the skipper seat on my PA. It contains some terminal tackle and leader but also my EPIRB, flares, compass & whistle, mirage drive and VHF radio (when not in my PFD). It also contains spare parts and tools for the mirage drive. I take this with me on virtually all trips.
How big is your bag if it's got a mirage drive in it :shock: and what tools & spare parts do you carry for the drive?
Thanks
No, not a mirage drive, just the spares that typically break. The bag is a work satchel from a conference that would normally store a laptop, papers etc. The mirage drive parts I carry are a spare drive chain (with spare nuts), spare idler cable, spare fin mast and spare fin retaining pin and ring. I also have a 7/16 ring/open spanner to remove the nyloc nuts on the drive and use my normal fishing pliers to unscrw a fin mast if required. I've needed all of these parts and tools out on the water at one time or another in the past. :roll:
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

shane wrote:
Yako wrote:
Thanks
No, not a mirage drive, just the spares that typically break. The bag is a work satchel from a conference that would normally store a laptop, papers etc. The mirage drive parts I carry are a spare drive chain (with spare nuts), spare idler cable, spare fin mast and spare fin retaining pin and ring. I also have a 7/16 ring/open spanner to remove the nyloc nuts on the drive and use my normal fishing pliers to unscrw a fin mast if required. I've needed all of these parts and tools out on the water at one time or another in the past. :roll:
Hmmm I guess I'll have to get a few bits n pieces for my yak :cry: more $$$$, I guess it's better to have a few bits n pieces rather than getting stuck. What handheld VHF do you use and so you use your epirb in PPB & WPB?
I was thinking of getting some rocket flares so I could practice my distress secquence/moves on/if the wave runners get too close :twisted:
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

I carry the EPIRB with me as I do a lot of solo fishing in areas and at times that could get a bit tricky if things go wrong. My radio is a Lowrance but I'd go with the Icom M23.
0408 565 763
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

shane wrote:
Yako wrote:
Thanks
Aside of getting anxiety attacks about when the spending stops for getting SAFE when going fishing in a yak ( and I do think it is important to get prepared BEFORE) This thread has heaps of thought provoking content. Had not thought about carrying Mirage drive spares, tho had plugs and cables etc for Offshore motor boats, so why not the Mirage!
When last I carried a Marine Radio we HAD to be licences through the Coast Guard.....is that still the case?

Thanks
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...