Hobie 2015 Vantage Seat Mod

Show off your DIY project!
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Hobie 2015 Vantage Seat Mod

Post by Jay »

One of my biggest (and only) gripe with my new 2015 Outback was the retracting rear pegs.

For those who are not familiar, on the 2015 Hobie Mirage yaks, the Vantage CT seat has pegs in the rear. These pegs are on a retractable cord and when you lift the rear of the seat, you need to pull on the cord at the same time in order to extend the pegs out so they rest on the tabs in the seat well and thus allowing the chair to stay in the high position.

The problem is if you lean forward enough or stand up, the pegs retract (they are spring loaded) and therefore reset to the low position. So you go from being up in the high position to having the rear sink all the way down. Really annoying and also if you are like me and store tackle under the seat then you risk damaging the tackle box.

After some searching around I found a fix on the Hobie Forums and basically works a treat.

Normally, the pegs are by default, retracted in via a loaded spring like so :

If you are like me and you fish almost exclusively from the high position, then what you have to do is unscrew that black philips head screw where the spring meets the peg. The screw will pop out. You need to twist the eyelet of the spring in the opposite direction and screw the Philips head screw back in.

By doing this, the default load of the spring is in the opposite direction and therefore forces the pegs out.

The default position should now look like this:

Note: this becomes the default and ONLY position. You cannot retract the pegs back in with this mod.

You can always go back to the previous configuration at any time but for me this really makes my fishing a whole lot more enjoyable!

Cheers!

Jay
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 hobie revolution 13

Re: Hobie 2015 Vantage Seat Mod

Post by squidgyflicker »

sounds like a good way to void your warranty
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

squidgyflicker wrote:sounds like a good way to void your warranty
By unscrewing a screw and reversing the spring that it holds? All this does is reverse the tension on the screw to allow the pegs to stay extended.

I don't think you quite grasp the process :roll: however this is for those with a 2015 Vantage CT seat none the less.

Also the process was posted on the Hobie Forum. The explanation wasn't as clear I thought so I took some pics and tried to go into a bit more detail. The person posting the mod originally tests Hobies and has ties with them.

In any case, you can simply ignore
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 hobie revolution 13

Post by squidgyflicker »

no need to twist your panties up in a bunch....i was simply pointing out that by partially dissembling an item such as that could potentially void your warranty if for example a certain hobie dealer didnt like you doing that...but what do i care it's not my kayak.....my 2015 revo with the exact same seat (minus the mod you made) is in my garage .
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

squidgyflicker wrote:no need to twist your panties up in a bunch....i was simply pointing out that by partially dissembling an item such as that could potentially void your warranty if for example a certain hobie dealer didnt like you doing that...but what do i care it's not my kayak.....my 2015 revo with the exact same seat (minus the mod you made) is in my garage .
If you don't care why comment? :roll:

I put this up to potentially offer a solution to what I feel is an issue for me and perhaps others and try and help.
Rather than troll posts try putting up something constructive.

I am happy for you that your revo is in your garage and felt the need to mention that :thumbsup:

And on a further note: would the Hobie dealer also have an issue with you unscrewing a pad eye, or perhaps any other screw only to screw it back? Seriously I think you should re read the post, look at what I have actually done before making such a statement
neale
kayak: 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by neale »

Works well, thanks.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Jay, I think its a rather clever solution to what is obviously an annoying and potentially unsafe set up.

:thumbsup:
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Hvalross wrote:Jay, I think its a rather clever solution to what is obviously an annoying and potentially unsafe set up.

i think that auto defecting to low setting is a double edged sword. If it reset to high when it should be on low then it would be dangerous with potential instability issues, rather than just a nuisance. On a revo 16 they should just get rid of the option and have it more securely attached, You would have to be nuts to attempt using on anything other than low. It would be like walking a tigthrope on stilts..
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:
Hvalross wrote:Jay, I think its a rather clever solution to what is obviously an annoying and potentially unsafe set up.

i think that auto defecting to low setting is a double edged sword. If it reset to high when it should be on low then it would be dangerous with potential instability issues, rather than just a nuisance. On a revo 16 they should just get rid of the option and have it more securely attached, You would have to be nuts to attempt using on anything other than low. It would be like walking a tigthrope on stilts..
Aside of the seat issue, I am blowed if I can understand the well under your chair.........I guess its there to allow bumsag :lol: but as you pointed out its really a great trap for all manner of stuff a person would not want there.

It sort of beggars the question " are Hobie just not properly researching these "UPGRADES" and following Apple, Microsoft and others into a first to the market race 'cos they can" seems to me more and more products and their performance is being compromised in this chase to the bottom.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Hvalross wrote:
laneends wrote:

Aside of the seat issue, I am blowed if I can understand the well under your chair.........I guess its there to allow bumsag :lol: but as you pointed out its really a great trap for all manner of stuff a person would not want there.

It sort of beggars the question " are Hobie just not properly researching these "UPGRADES" and following Apple, Microsoft and others into a first to the market race 'cos they can" seems to me more and more products and their performance is being compromised in this chase to the bottom.
Hey Andrew,

I beg to differ slightly on the fact that on my outback I use the space under the seat to store one or two large tackle boxes so I do actually find a use for it. Though on the Revo 11,13 and 16 I'd say it would be near useless having multiple positions for reasons already stated.

But I do agree that (Apple is a good example) that when a company has a stronghold on a particular industry/field/Product they can put out what they want without fear of being challenged.

All that being said I really enjoy the seat on the outback. It stays in high position permanently and have never once felt like tipping even in meter chop.

Read somewhere from Hobie that they seriously contemplated whether to default to high or low position however low won out due to the safety on the narrower models