Thoughts on outback price

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Fishingmad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Thoughts on outback price

Post by Fishingmad »

After passing on the cheaper yaks now looking at hobie outbacks what price could I get a few year old one reasonably set up. Looking to pay anything up to 2k. What r u thoughts and does anyone know of one for sale
Fish aholic
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: Thoughts on outback price

Post by Fish aholic »

G'day fishingmad , have you check the classified section under selling stuff there is one for 2k i think good luck.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Fishingmad wrote:After passing on the cheaper yaks now looking at hobie outbacks what price could I get a few year old one reasonably set up. Looking to pay anything up to 2k. What r u thoughts and does anyone know of one for sale
Also check out the upgrades in the 2015 model from the 2014..... the seat in the 2015, in my opinion makes it worth the extra cash... you may also be able to pick them up slightly cheaper as the 2016 model will be out in november... not saying its the best thing, but worth looking at....
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

On a second hander you are looking at $1800-$2200 depending on condition and extras.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

hammertym wrote:
Fishingmad wrote:After passing on the cheaper yaks now looking at hobie outbacks what price could I get a few year old one reasonably set up. Looking to pay anything up to 2k. What r u thoughts and does anyone know of one for sale
Also check out the upgrades in the 2015 model from the 2014..... the seat in the 2015, in my opinion makes it worth the extra cash... you may also be able to pick them up slightly cheaper as the 2016 model will be out in november... not saying its the best thing, but worth looking at....
Whats new for 2016 except for a price bump?
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish

Post by Hammertime »

Not sure to be honest, haven't seen it yet.

So maybe the bump will be significant given the usd value?

Have they announced the price yet
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Not as far as I have seen.

A few places mention the rectangular hatch as standard but there seems to be alot who love the round as it is. Some h rail would be nice, along the rear well maybe but then storing upside down would be a problem.

Honestly the standard setup seems like a good vanilla option. Its got the new seat, st fins (which suits alot of people) and heaps of storage areas. It's nice and stable. A more hydrodynamic hull maybe as I find myself sometimes wishing for more speed (then I look behind me and realise my lures are skipping on the surface LOL). If I changed anything it would be probably the hull with a little tweaking to make 8km/h paddling possible with not such a huge effort but who knows if they could even do that? Cruising at 4km can be done almost non stop and 6 feels good.

Back on topic. 2000 seems to be the figure, more if its new with more, less if its older or has less. Remember the wheel cart is worth a chunk of $$ as well. If you can stretch the budget for new you won't look back either.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish

Post by Hammertime »

Wind Waker wrote: If you can stretch the budget for new you won't look back either.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It does hurt though. My setup before I added holders was about $3500 I think including wheels and sounder. Which is almost double the $2000

But as my uncle says, and probably other people as well.... quality is remembered long after cost is forgotten
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

2nd hand 2009 model in 2013 with ram rod holder, sounder, battery charger, trolley, anchor trolley, anchor, home made rocket launcher & net cost me $1850.
Back then a brand new one with no accessories was $2400.
I thought it was worth saving some coin and buying 2nd hand 4 year old model.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I bought our outbacks new but negotiated the trolley and anchor trolley (fitted) in the price.

Their cost is less than RRP of course so you're not asking them to give a great amount.