Thoughts on outback price

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: Thoughts on outback price

Post by Wind Waker »

The dealers will also sometimes kit up 1 year old stock then knock some dollars out. Keep am eye on thie web and facebook pages.

They also sometimes get trade ins as well.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

I loved my out back and probably never would have sold it if it had horizontal rod storage like the PA's.
I definitely think you should try and get as many extras as possible cause thats where the extra cash goes.
One thing I would look at is trying to buy 2012 and later as thats when hobie started reinforcing the scupper holes and it also means that you are getting newer hardware like the drive.
Also I would be getting on to outback sooner rather then later cause summer is getting closer and people will be chasing the higher dollar.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

I'm yet to get out of the 2015 seat sore, even after fishing for 5+ hours.

Buy once, buy right...... :)

Most of the dealers will do a demo day for you if you want one, and by buying new you're supporting the industry, getting the warranty and after sales support.

When I was buying I thought if Hobies were 1/2 the price of new for one that was a couple of years old, it might be worthwhile, but they generally range from $1800 - $2300 depending on extras and even more for the newer model which I'm yet to see sold secondhand. A base model Hobie is $2850, see if you can get an anchor trolley, anchor and trolley for $3K.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

Hey buddy,

My experience is I started on a 9ft yak, soon realised it is not good for fishing the bay (and fell out as a result) and moved onto a paddle Hobie (Quest 13) as Hobie know what kayak fisherman want when they build a yak !

Now I have a 2015 Hobie Outback with the Vantage CT seat and I honestly don't think I will need to upgrade, even to a pro angler.

The outback is versatile as it is still light enough to man handle and car top if you want to, but has enough room and is stable enough to stand (I tried it out in a bit of chop last week).

If you breakdown the cost, a Mirage Drive (the new Glide Tech) is about $920 new, add in the seat probably worth around $400 and that it comes with seat and paddle (quite a few other brands don't come with either, you have to buy as optional extras), it starts to look like good value.

Go the Outback, I wish I did the first time round...
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

And add a larger sailing rudder, makes turning quicker on the flats but also tracking and turning better when punching through chop.

Everything else can be added as you have more budget but the Vantage seat is true happiness to sit in - hour after hour!
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Fish4Fun wrote:Now I have a 2015 Hobie Outback with the Vantage CT seat and I honestly don't think I will need to upgrade, even to a pro angler.
Technically that is not an upgrade :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

maverick wrote:
Fish4Fun wrote:Now I have a 2015 Hobie Outback with the Vantage CT seat and I honestly don't think I will need to upgrade, even to a pro angler.
Technically that is not an upgrade :lol:
Check. Mate. :lol: