roof racks help!

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Chevapi
kayak: eBay yak

roof racks help!

Post by Chevapi »

Hey guys iv got Proracks installed on my car they are rated for 50kg. Will that be safe to load a PA14? really keen on getting one but the roof racks worry me. thanks !
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Re: roof racks help!

Post by Hammertime »

Chevapi wrote:Hey guys iv got Proracks installed on my car they are rated for 50kg. Will that be safe to load a PA14? really keen on getting one but the roof racks worry me. thanks !
Hi Chevapi, welcome to VYAK and your first post.

The latest model (not sure what model - not sure what you have) has a fitted weight of 55KG and a fully rigged weight of 66KG.

So you will be exceeding the safe working load (SWL) of your racks.

The question is, how much tolerance has been built into the racks SWL, and is it worth taking the risk?

I myself probably would spend the money on a new set of racks that have a SWL that exceed the weight of the kayak to protect my investment.

Feel free to stop in the other pages and say hello to the guys.

HT
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I agree, I wouldn't be willing to risk a $4000 kayak + what ever other damage might be caused if they did fail while you're driving for the sake of a couple hundred dollars for a new set of roof racks. Even though they are specified at 55kg it will probably be closer to 60kg once you put some fittings and a battery in it. Also consider that if something were to go wrong and serious damage or injury resulted you could face criminal charges. I would have to do some research but I'm fairly sure there is some specific legislation sounding a persons responsibility to properly secure their load. In reality there is probably some tolerance over the specified limit but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Make sure you check the load rating for the roof of you're car as well. You should be able to find it in the car's manual. Sometimes that will be morel limiting than the actual roof racks. For example my roof racks have a load rating of 100kg but the roof of the car has a load rating of 75kg.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I've got Prorack Whisperbars that are rated to 75kg and my PA lives on them. I wouldn't go anything less in weight rating. Maybe double check with the manufacturer on the actual weight limit, if it's per rack and what other wind force loading etc is built into the rating.
0408 565 763
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 hobie revolution 13

Post by squidgyflicker »

rhino roof racks are really good i would recommend them if you have to change brands
Chevapi
kayak: eBay yak

Post by Chevapi »

hmmm okay looks like ill be doing some research on some new racks, rather be safe then sorry for sure. thanks heaps for the reply's fellas !
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

No dramas, plenty of knowledgeable helpful people here.... Just don't ask them where their secret snapper spot is and you should be ok
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 hobie revolution 13

Post by squidgyflicker »

my rhino's are 100kg rated
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Do a search on roof racks or even better some of the main brand names and you will come up with heaps of info.

To give you a head start here's a recent thread that went into some detail on the topic:
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... ilit=thule
0408 565 763