Kayak Fishing Novice / Beginner Story

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
amateuryaker
kayak: Ebay One

Kayak Fishing Novice / Beginner Story

Post by amateuryaker »

Impulse buying normally never ends well but in the case of my kayak couldn’t be happier. I thought I’d share with you my experience of kayak fishing from beginners, novice, lack of knowledge view. I’m 25 years old and my best mate was on my case about getting a kayak so we could go out fishing at Port Phillip Bay.

I don’t make a stack of cash and only had week to buy the kayak. I quickly jumped online starting sussing out kayaks. In my mind I was thinking no way I am going to be able afford a bloody kayak and be able justify it. I was sent a link from a friend who found a cheap kayak of eBay. It was around $370 off eBay, impulse kicked in and next min I had purchased it.

Next day drove down to my local BCF store and purchased a life jacket, rope and anchor. To get ready for the trip as in my mind thats all I could think of.

Ebay messaged me, saying Kayak was ready be picked. As it was a mile away from where I live my mate picked it up for me. I drive to his house the night before going out in the bay not having any idea what the Kayak looks like. When I got there the kayak was wrapped up in plastic, once I opened it and set it up couldn’t of been happier with my purchase.
11653372_10153448289682139_773248430_n.jpg
Day off the first trip out, we head out to Ricketts Pt just before sunrise. Drag the kayaks into the water. We took out prawns, pilchards and squid for bait. We got out within 20-30min of paddling to point we picked out from the shore. I set down my anchor but it was bit of pain as I had rope everywhere, the current was moving so more rope kept going out. Finally after playing around tied off the anchor to side of kayak. It was alright for first 20min as the kayak sat nicely on the water but as the tide changed and winds picked up, swell / waves increased and water started pouring into the kayak. I was sitting down in the kayak and the water was almost at my hips, I was scooping out water with plastic bags from the bait. While this was all going on I was having a blast fishing, catching small pinkies, nothing of size but getting a bite almost every cast and just enjoying being out the water. After 3 -4 hours of battling the water in the kayak and fishing, it was time to head in. I go to pull up my anchor and I almost capsize into the water. Gave me a massive scare. The anchor was stuck on the reef, I pulled and pulled, paddled around to different spots it wouldn't move. I didn’t like doing this but had no choice but to cut the anchor rope, leave the anchor at the bottom of the sea. We start to paddled in but the winds and current were working against us. It took us over an hour of non-stop paddling to get in, we were exhausted. If we stopped paddling for a rest, we would drift further away, so we couldn’t stop paddling. Once hit shore and showered, I had to recap on the day I just had.

First Trip Problems:

Soaking Wet & Cold
Anchor rope being everywhere.
Tying off the anchor.
Water coming into the boat.
Losing the anchor.
Issue of weather.

Looking at the problems, discussed with my friend I worked out going to need spend more money on accessories and right equipment to do this right.

1st Problem of being soaking wet and being cold - I went out and brought winter wetsuit and booties to keep warm.

2nd,3rd,4th,5th Problem - Anchor system. I decided the reason that loads of water was coming into my kayak is because I had tied the anchor to the side of kayak. Also worked out after reading forums that you don’t tie off the anchor with just a knot at the top. You need to have the knot at the bottom of the anchor and use a cable tie to hold the rope in position at the top of anchor. (See Pic Below). I didn’t want to have the trouble of tying off the anchor again so went out brought 276 Scotty Anchor Lock. (http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equi ... r-lock.htm) Which I attached to the back of my kayak. Still had the issue of not having a place to store the rope so brought a wheel to keep it neat. See pic below for the full set -up.

11292013_10153448296182139_525950515_n.jpg

6th Problem - Weather, the problem being young is you are arrogant. I thought I’d be right in any conditions and be able to paddle back with no problems at all. The paddle back in was a much needed wake up call and key is to check the weather, I found VIC Winds app for iPhone. I think it is the best to check out bay conditions.

After thinking I had everything sorted it was time to fish again. I checked the weather and it said was calm day. I went out to Ricketts again as it was a solo trip this time and thought go somewhere I knew. I got there before sunrise and paddled out to group of boats as thought they’d have the fish finders. The water was like glass couldn’t of asked for a more perfect day. Settled outside the pack of boats and started fishing and the bite was on. I caught two nice pinkies 34cm & 38cm perfect for dinner. I was just casting out pilchards and slowly running them along the bottom and bang they would hit. The problem I faced this time was I didn’t bring enough bait. I was out of pilchards within an hour and half, I did take squid but they didn’t want a bar of it. I was stoked to bring something home to eat and first time in ages that caught a keeper. The anchor system worked well, no problems with water coming into the boat, I was nice and warm with wetsuit on. It was the perfect day.
11120038_10153448289907139_455676925_n.jpg
Confidence was up, meanwhile I purchased a hand water pump to get water out of kayak. A different friend which owns a hobie kayak saw my catch was like "lets go lets go out”. We picked a day where the weather looked good and headed back to old faithful Ricketts. When arriving at Ricketts I could hear small waves hitting the beach and I was worried. The weather had changed, winds had picked up and still decided to head out. Paddling out the water was pouring into the boat and the swell was big, felt like I was getting air off the waves. (nose of kayak may of just lifted a little). lol. I anchored down but wasn’t pleasant fishing with no fish to been seen, water rushing in and out of the boat. Hand-pump worked well to get the water out of the kayak it was handy purchase. Caught two tiny pinkies after being out for 1.5 hours. I decided to call it early as it wasn’t fun. You wouldn’t believe but the anchor was stuck I was pulling and pulling trying to break the cable tie I had put on, next moment a small swell/wave came and I’ve capsized into the water. It caught me by surprise. Lucky I had the life jacket on but I lost everything in my boat. Tackle, fishing rod, new go pro and fishing net all at the bottom of the sea. I was floating in the water with the kayak upside down. I quickly turned it over and jumped back aboard to find everything missing, lucky hand pump floated lol. I wasn’t cold as had the wetsuit on but I was just in shock. Once calmed down I started trying pull the anchor up again but no luck the cable tie wouldn’t break. After losing everything else, this was the last thing I wanted to do but I had to cut the anchor rope AGAIN. I felt ill after this trip. After a day or two decided to re-visit the mayhem.

(Another gopro caught the action of capsize, check out @smithrob on Instagram, its video before picture of a turtle lol)

3rd Trip Problems.

Why wouldn’t cable tie break?
Capsized - how stop losing everything?

Having zero confidence after this trip and saving some money to re-buy all the essential equipment. I looked at the problems I faced, I went through lots and lots of guides before reading need to use smallest cable ties as the bigger ones will not break. So went to bunnings got the smallest cable ties and did a bunch of tests in the backyard so it will not happen again. I also jumped on eBay after the capsize and brought a paddle leach. I was lucky didn’t lose my paddle when I capsized so think smartest purchase I’ve made. I also brought leaches for my rod, net, tackle and tools so if I do capsize I shouldn’t lose anything.

I had a good little break after losing my confidence before heading back out to Ricketts once more. It is now early June, I brought head lamp and got on the water at 5am, it was freezing even with the wetsuit. I thought my hands were going to fall off. I went out with my mate who talked me into kayaking. It was so so cold but the water was calm and knew it was going to be good day once we got warm. The bite was quite early, only had few bites and only landed one pinkie between 5-7am. Once the sun started to rise and the tide change was over the pinkies were out. Unfortunately for my mate he snapped his rod in half out there. We didn’t want go back in so he used half of rod to fish with and he was catching bulk fish. Every cast we would catch a fish we caught 5 keepers between us ranging from 29cm to 33cm. Good for dinner. Just same method of running pilchards along the bottom. I had no troubles with the anchor and just good day on the water.
11350052_10153448367542139_1096133133_n.jpg
If you are still reading, thanks for listening to my stories. Hopefully learnt not what to do from my mistakes. Safety is key out on the water and good anchor system will save you a lot of troubles. If have any questions just write below. I’ll keep updated with my next fishing trip. Weather keeping the kayak dry at the moment, I’m looking head down to Rye or Mornington soon, I’ll keep you posted. Amateuryaker out!
11657333_10153448289922139_1731638515_n.jpg
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Re: Kayak Fishing Novice / Beginner Story

Post by happyas »

Howdy amateuryaker. Have you introduced yourself on Say G'day. Please read the sections on safety and use the search facility. The mistakes and adventures you are making/having have all been done before. Read up on anchor trollies and anchoring methods. I am sure that by reading of other's experiences, you will increase your safety and enjoyment, and save yourself some money. Great to see that you can get back in when tipped out. Great and honest read, it's not easy to say "I stuffed up."
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

amateuryaker wrote: If you are still reading, thanks for listening to my stories. Hopefully learnt not what to do from my mistakes. Safety is key out on the water and good anchor system will save you a lot of troubles. If have any questions just write below. I’ll keep updated with my next fishing trip. Weather keeping the kayak dry at the moment, I’m looking head down to Rye or Mornington soon, I’ll keep you posted. Amateuryaker out!
Rob as Larry pointed out your learning curve has all been done before , in fact one of my anchors is stuck in the reef at Rickets from about 5 years ago
using a short Ebay kayak pay a lot of attention to the weather as you have found they are slow and are hard work at the best of times add a head wind and chop
Then that hard work becomes impossible quickly

and by the way Welcome to Vyak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
amateuryaker

Post by amateuryaker »

Hi Happyas & Cheaterparts

Thank you for the reply.

I haven't introduced myself on "say g'day" I'll get on to it tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestions on place to look as I do lack a fair bit of knowledge and its good hear from people like yourselves. I'll def check out the anchor trollies and anchoring methods. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person lose an anchor at Ricketts lol. I'll def keep eye on the weather from now on as you said it can become impossible quickly with the ebay kayaks.

Look forward to reading yours and others comments /thoughts.

Cheers boys! :up:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Whats with all the bailing?? Do you have your scupper holes plugged??

Do not underestimate the problems you will have in strong wind or choppy conditions. You are not the first one to have these issues in these Ebay yaks (including me :oops: )

Re wind conditions, an onshore wind will create choppier conditions than an offshore wind.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Hey mate , welcome.
Another safety issue is lighting. Legally u need a 360 degree visable white light between sunset and sunrise. A head torch is not enough. Search this forum for led light poles and make one for your self.
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
amateuryaker

Post by amateuryaker »

Cheers boys for the feed back, making a led light pole this week. :thumbsup:

As for the scrupper hole plugs, this might sound very stupid but I thought if I opened them I'd sink the kayak lol. :oops:

Yeah I only learnt recently that its alright to open them up.

Thanks guys!
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

Welcome to VYAK Robbie. You've had you're share of misadventure but you're now on the best place on the web to get your knowledge up to speed quickly & avoid dramas in the future. Good on you for posting an honest account of your experience so far. It gets easier with research and experience.

PS I know money's an issue but ditch the wetsuit and get yourself some drypants like kokatats or the SLH ones. Best money you'll ever spend - been there done that....
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Well done on the write up robbie, and welcome to the forum! With all the info on this site im certain it has saved lives, probably my own! Not to mention meeting great people at the same time. The work on your yak looks quality, keep it up :thumbsup:

Tim
edt4eva
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by edt4eva »

Tim399 wrote:Well done on the write up robbie, and welcome to the forum! With all the info on this site im certain it has saved lives, probably my own! Not to mention meeting great people at the same time. The work on your yak looks quality, keep it up :thumbsup:

Tim
x 2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
PB's / Estuary Perch 42cm (Nelson), Pike 85cm (Curlewis Bank), Flathead 50cm (Portarlington), Trevally 38cm (Swan Bay)