Kayak Fishing Novice / Beginner Story

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: Kayak Fishing Novice / Beginner Story

Post by Wind Waker »

Drypants and lavacore socks... Worth every cent
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Try reducing the anchor line to 5mm or 7mm cord - no need for the boat rope.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
bj fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie sport

Post by bj fisherman »

Thanks for sharing your story. It takes guts to share your misadventures with everyone. Oldies like myself remember the impulsiveness in our youth so empathise with your story.

I fish ricketts frequently. I don't go out if I see white caps. Especially the case it winter. Hypothermia is a killer.

Breaking the anchor tie is not easy as you found. Floating you have no point of fixation to pull against. I go with a heavy mono fishing line as my breaking point. It means it may break against a heavy current, however your not fishing in strong current. Also I have had success breaking off by tying onto the rear of the yak and peddling strongly away from snagged line.

Now that your kayak is full of leashes consider a divers knife. You don't want to be capsized and entangled!

Anyway good luck. :thumbsup:
Pb: snapper 67cm, garfish 44cm, calamari hood 25cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

bj fisherman wrote:
Now that your kayak is full of leashes consider a divers knife. You don't want to be capsized and entangled!
Especially with the anchor rope. Dont leave that laying around between you legs. Single purpose sharp knife or line cutter attached to you, or your pfd, not floating around the yak doubling as a bait knife

You can always put a small nick in a cable tie to weaken it. Then carry some spares.

Also keep in mind if you really have to haul on an anchor when it suddenly gives way you can topple backwards. so loop it around a forward point when retrieving, so you are pulling back into you seat. Pulling side on into the waves is never a good idea anyway. Catastrophic in rough conditions or high tide flow. Pulling from behind in anything but a PA can upset your balance with twisting.

without a sounder in reefy areas like ricketts you are going to get a lot of stuck anchors. shopping bag full of rocks is a cheap alternative if you keep loosing them. Proper anchors though are more effective per weight carried
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:Also keep in mind if you really have to haul on an anchor when it suddenly gives way you can topple backwards. so loop it around a forward point when retrieving, so you are pulling back into you seat. Pulling side on into the waves is never a good idea anyway. Catastrophic in rough conditions or high tide flow.
Keith has a good point -- you'll get away with pulling your anchor rope up from the side in places like rickets most of the time as there is little to no tide flow
however in the wind you will go side on the the waves and swell
by taking the rope forward ether by using the anchor trolley to the front and locking it there or having a position you can put the rope forward ( I use my side rod holder as it's a solid point forward of the center )
By doing this ether the yak swing into the tide flow or weather making the yak more stable , less drag and you are working pulling from the front not the side

every thing works in your favor - if you do end up fishing areas like Westernport or the sth end of PPB where the tide does rip along it's worth having your anchoring down pat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
amateuryaker
kayak: Ebay One

Post by amateuryaker »

I really appreciate the feedback guys, I've been taking everything on board, I've been looking into Dry Pant and diver knifes.

Cheers boys!