Pro Angler on a Small Car

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Pro Angler on a Small Car

Post by Anthony »

I'm thinking about upgrading to more stable yak. I've got my eye on the Hobie PA12 but I'm a bit concerned my car won't be up to carrying it. Sorry if this type on question has already been answered but I couldn't find anything by searching. I currently use a pair of foam soft racks to carry my kayak on my BMW E36 Sedan but I'm getting some Prorack roof racks put on this week. The Proracks are rated at 75kg, will I run into any issues trying to carry a heavy kayak such as the PA? So far I haven't had any issues transporting the X-13 but the PA is double the weight so I'm a bit concerned.

Also for anyone who's bought a hobie is there any point trying to get a better deal or are the prices set?
tightlines
Square eyes
kayak: PA 14

Re: Pro Angler on a Small Car

Post by tightlines »

I used to transport a pa 14 on a Mazda 3. I used plumbers pipe to support the kayak instead of pool noodles. I think it's important, and maybe law, to secure the bow to the front of the car so the yak can't bounce off. I tied mine to the towing anchor point. Give us a shout if you want more info.
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

Shane on this site carts his PA14 on his scoda and I'm sure he'll give u advise once he see's this thread.

Regarding price I think they pretty set on prices but I've heard people getting extras thrown in so definitely worth it.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

small cars make great yak trollies :evilgrin:
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Anthony »

Thanks guys, that puts my mind at ease.

My car didn't have points to tie down the bow and stern so I made some loops like these to attach the tie downs to.

Can you go into more detail about the plumbers pipe, I'm not really sure what you mean. I just assumed that the kayak sat directly on the roof racks.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

As has been mentioned, I carry my PA14 on a Skoda Octavia (actually it mostly lives on there). I have the prorack whisperbars on it and also have a thin rope from the front handle to the tow point on the car. The front rope is recommended as the racks are only around 900 apart and so it helps the yak sit straighter and more secure without needing the cam cleat straps overtight. I sit reinforced pool noodle running along the hull grooves to help support the hull across the racks and to help stop it developing flat spots where it sits on the racks.

To load I use a side bar running across each rack with an upturn at the front. I lift the nose onto the side bar and the upturn keeps it from sliding off. Then I lift the rear and swing it around so it's sitting on the racks. With a bit of practice its very easy. I hope this helps. :)
0408 565 763
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Anthony »

The spacing between the roof racks will only be about 700-800mm on my car. My current kayak balances pretty well once it's in the right spot so hopefully the PA will be the same.
monty
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Papaya Hobie pa 14

Post by monty »

I have similar spacing on my roof racks and carry a PA 14 and wasn't happy with the way it sat :?
So I used two alloy 50mm \ 50mm fence posts from masters coverd them with marine carpet (glued) and used a pice of wood each side of the rack and fixed it off with screws,through the posts into the wood.
Then all I do is zip tye the skids to the roof rack so they don't slip when loading and take it off when not in use.
It has been in use for two years now and never failed me ,on long trips I do tye down the front to stop it bouncing and I use the rack n roll system to load.
Hope that makes sense :up:
Pb snapper 90cm 9.2kg. Flathead 63cm. Ting 42cm. Pike 98cm. Brown trout 54cm Toolondo. Redfin 46cm wartook.
gummy 112cm. ellie 89 cm . :yahoo:
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Anthony »

Cheers, that makes sense. Sounds like I should be able to figure something out to make it work.