The RedFish 12

Show off your kayak!
R3dY@k
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Heritage RedFish 12

The RedFish 12

Post by R3dY@k »

Hey Guys,

As promised, some photos of my yak and gear. I'll need to upload some more once I get out with the recent gopro install. Enjoy! :D
Attachments
11.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: The RedFish 12

Post by laneends »

Haven't seen one of those yaks before.

Is there a central hatch or somewhere you can store your tackle in front of you rather than a bulky tool belt?

Couple of suggestions to consider

If you were to put a couple of extra starports on the bulkheads at the bottom of the foot wells you could have the option to mount a couple of rod holders there on extensions to bring them closer to you as an alternative to a single central holder.

The crate could be held in place by cutting holes through the corners and feeding the bungee through

Any thoughts on a sounder yet?

Do you intend carrying that trolley on the yak? It looks a tad heavy.
R3dY@k

Post by R3dY@k »

Hey Laneends thanks for the response.

The gear I cary in the photo all has a place in my life vest for easy access, I also carry extra jig heads and two packs of plastics (heaps of pockets - see photo)

I carry extra leader and a few lures / sinkers in the tackle bag which stores in the basket behind me for when i need it.

The trolley haha... yeah for a cheap easy option I went down to supercheap who had a sale on hand trolleys for $15 and then took an angle grinder to it. Extremely heavy but for now does the job, it wont be long before it rusts away :lol:

I like the idea of the extra rod holders i'll have to mock that up and see what it looks like. Also will take your advice to secure the basket down, it's a very good fit there and all it needs is to be secured.

In regards to the sounder I actually have had a lot of thought and have done some research through other threads here, I have a few Garmin devices already which I have confidence in although the Lowrance sounders also look like a good option. I already have access to batterys through work and have a pretty good idea where and how to fit everything.

Cheers!
Attachments
1.jpg
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

R3dY@k wrote:The gear I cary in the photo all has a place in my life vest for easy access, I also carry extra jig heads and two packs of plastics (heaps of pockets - see photo)
Nice to see a different yak being laid out :thumbsup:
With regards to packing your life vest pockets with gear, I used to be the same,but having practised re-entry with my life jacket packed for a trip I have changed things. I now only carry the minimum on it as bulky filled pockets make re-entry a lot harder and attachments catch in things when you are trying to get back in. Mine has a line cutter sown on and my phone is in one pocket in a waterproof case. I carry a vhf radio on the shoulder if I am heading offshore but that's it.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Just a heads up to not lube the railblaza sliding locks, it causes them to shear off
R3dY@k

Post by R3dY@k »

laneends wrote:Just a heads up to not lube the railblaza sliding locks, it causes them to shear off
Haha yes saw that strange warning on the packaging, apparently silicon based lube is OK, ive used it on a treadmill before so should still have it around somewhere. For now they are ok, I wash thoroughly after I hit the salt.
FishnDive wrote:With regards to packing your life vest pockets with gear, I used to be the same,but having practised re-entry with my life jacket packed for a trip I have changed things.
Good Point FishnDive, I could easily cut down on what I carry in the vest. I just got myself some new winter clothes so will need to get some more re-entry practice.

So no one has ever seen one of these before?? My research pre-buying said to me that they were popular in the states. I got it from Capacity Sports in Sandringham, they were very helpful in letting me trade my old Marvel 10 for this one.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

R3dY@k wrote:
laneends wrote:Just a heads up to not lube the railblaza sliding locks, it causes them to shear off
Haha yes saw that strange warning on the packaging, apparently silicon based lube is OK, ive used it on a treadmill before so should still have it around somewhere. For now they are ok, I wash thoroughly after I hit the salt.

Its the hydrocarbon (prropellant), so i wouldn't use any spray. Just wash to get salt and sand out. That was the advice direct from Railblaza.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

R3dY@k wrote:So no one has ever seen one of these before?? My research pre-buying said to me that they were popular in the states. I got it from Capacity Sports in Sandringham, they were very helpful in letting me trade my old Marvel 10 for this one.
They look pretty flat in the front well area, have you tried standing in it?
R3dY@k

Post by R3dY@k »

FishnDive wrote:They look pretty flat in the front well area, have you tried standing in it?
I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem with the right weather... Have not tried yet although its stable and well balanced, I can sit sideways with both legs in the water and not feel at risk of tipping.
Luckyphil
Square eyes
kayak: 14ft timber sea kayak, redfish 14

Post by Luckyphil »

Hi Ben,
Very nice yak !!
I have the Redfish 14 which I bought from a vyak member Redfish (jeremy), I have had it for quite a few years now and I am still happy with it. Very stable (maybe not for stand up fishing), flat bottom gets into really shallow water, reasonable amount of room and storage. The longer length and narrow entry are great for the inlets I fish as sometimes you have to fight a pretty strong tidal current.
The only downside with mine is no rudder, which tends to make running downwind in chop or small waves a bit of a pain as it tends to yaw off course a bit. I see yours has the rudder so that shouldnt be an issue.
Mine also had no paddle holders, but a set of aftermarket ones screwed on fixed that.
A pedal yak would be better and easier for trolling lures, but for a great paddle type fishing yak it has been perfect.
Enjoy yours, and catch plenty of fish. :up: :up: :up:
Cheers
Phil
It`s life Jim, but not as we know it ![/b

Pbs: black bream 38, Gummy 1100, whiting 38, flathead 60+,