What to tether

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: What to tether

Post by GoneFishn »

Tether rods in rear holders and paddle.
Used to have tethers for when using rods up front but found it to be a pain. Pliers and other tools are stored in center console.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

tightlines wrote:I sort of go on the notion of 'that's fishing'. If I lose some gear over, I'm less likely to do it next time.
Same here. I tend to take less out now than I used to so not such a drama for me. Although this summer I did end up with my fly line wrapped around a Railblaza extension as it lay loose in the yak and next cast, over the edge it went. Still spewin about that. Just plain lazy.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Galey wrote:
tightlines wrote:I sort of go on the notion of 'that's fishing'. If I lose some gear over, I'm less likely to do it next time.
Same here. I tend to take less out now than I used to so not such a drama for me. Although this summer I did end up with my fly line wrapped around a Railblaza extension as it lay loose in the yak and next cast, over the edge it went. Still spewin about that. Just plain lazy.
My fav is hooking the railblazas out with the landing net :oops: so I get paranoid about locking them in place.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

laneends wrote: My fav is hooking the railblazas out with the landing net :oops: so I get paranoid about locking them in place.
I don't have any railbalza's now so I can't check but from memory don't the rod holders have their own leash point on them?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

FishnDive wrote:
laneends wrote: My fav is hooking the railblazas out with the landing net :oops: so I get paranoid about locking them in place.
I don't have any railbalza's now so I can't check but from memory don't the rod holders have their own leash point on them?
Not much good when a fish breaks off the rod holder. :o
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

shane wrote:
FishnDive wrote:
Not much good when a fish breaks off the rod holder. :o
ok if you are thinking of leashing the holder to the yak in case you don't lock it..but thats even one more leash, I move mine between mounts (the big advantage of railblazas) when in use, hence forgetting to relock
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

laneends wrote: ok if you are thinking of leashing the holder to the yak in case you don't lock it..but thats even one more leash, I move mine between mounts (the big advantage of railblazas) when in use, hence forgetting to relock
No. If you're going to leash then bypass the rod holder and leash the rod to part of the kayak. One less point of failure. I'm particularly talking about very big powerful fish as that's the only thing I leash rods for and then only on the troll.
0408 565 763
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

I think whether you tether or not also depends a hell of a lot on how much you spent on the item and whether you have enough $$ to replace it if it goes swimming.

I wonder how many people have gone over board on kayaks or boats trying save something disappearing over the side?
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

The only thing I tether is my dry box that I keep my phone in.
I've capsized and lost rods but I would rather loose them than my life.
p.s. the capsize is the only time ive lost anything on the yak over many years
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

I use a short tether on my rods that snap hooks onto guide ropes that act like rails so I can slide gear up and down the area where I sit on the kayak, gives freedom of movement and avoids tangles. My gear isn't cheap and on more than half a dozen occasions I've had fish take rods including one that broke off the rod holder. I tether my lip grips and pliers to the same guide ropes. The paddle and GPS are tethered to an anchor point between my legs and the phone is tethered to my PFD, I don't bother tethering the net. If anything does get into a tangle or I need to re-rig I just unhook the tether from the guide rope.

If the weather turns sour and I expect a rough trip back to shore it takes minutes to pack down everything and have a clear deck, I lash the rods using the tethers to the guide ropes so in the likely event the yak rolls nothing gets lost or damaged.