What to tether

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Brute
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie

What to tether

Post by Brute »

After a bit of reading here seems some tether their rods & some don`t . I can understand both ways of thinking here , not wanting to get a hook in me or tangled up in a tip over, but it`s also very easy to drop or knock a rod over the side . Also seems a lot of people take their mobile phone with them . Wouldn`t like to drop a $600 phone over the side , think I`ll have to get one of those life jackets with the pockets to keep a few essentials with me . I also like lure wraps though I don`t see them in shops any more . They`re a canvas type material that wraps around lures or hooks which close with Velcro . I`ve been to the docs on 2 occasions to have fish hooks removed . What about tethers on other stuff , like pliers , lip grips , nets etc . Just seems so easy to lose items from a kayak .
Wizaed1
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Angler 14 Olive

Re: What to tether

Post by Wizaed1 »

Great question. And you're right lot's of different views. For me I have pretty much everything leashed except the mirage drive (PA). Rods all leashed, oar, pliers, net all leashed with elastic so plenty of movement as needed. Even have my esky behind the seat hooked into the velcro straps. Main reason for all of this is is I tip it I won't lose everything. Have heard of the horror stories of people getting caught up in ropes etc so I don't have the "right" answer. Just do what you're comfortable with I guess.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Wizaed1 wrote:Great question. And you're right lot's of different views. For me I have pretty much everything leashed except the mirage drive (PA). Rods all leashed, oar, pliers, net all leashed with elastic so plenty of movement as needed. Even have my esky behind the seat hooked into the velcro straps. Main reason for all of this is is I tip it I won't lose everything. Have heard of the horror stories of people getting caught up in ropes etc so I don't have the "right" answer. Just do what you're comfortable with I guess.
Interesting Wizaed, the mirage drive is the one thing that I do tether every trip! For me it is a case of cost of replacement Vs increase in risk. Mirage drive is expensive to replace so it tethered, rods pliers etc are cheap by comparison so not leashed with the exception of my two offshore outfits that I spent more $ on so they get leashed also they are used for bigger fish, ones more likely to pull a rod from a holder on the take. Works for me pretty well but I did lose a combo to a snapper at Mornington last season.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I have rod tethers, but not particularly strong ones, they would save a rod slipping over the side, probably not a heavy locked drag strike, and could be ripped off in a tangle situation. They are a pain tangling in use, but I am clumsy so need them when unhooking fish in net etc, If I had a bigger yak say PA probably wouldn't bother and just try to keep rods locked in holders when possible.

Small stuff pliers, knifes etc. i dont tether and use cheapies and allow for them being lost over the side on a regular basis. I find those ebay combo pliers/scissors for a few bucks work ok, and buy a batch of them. A stronger pair of pliers is stored safely in side mesh if needed.

I have a webbing cutter permanently attached to PFD for woret case scenario

Phone is best on a lanyard.

Good paddle leash is essential. If you have any quick connect buckles on them eg standard hobie paddle leash, zip tie it closed, mine came apart once and was nearly left in middle of WP without a paddle.
Brute
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Brute »

FishnDive wrote:[quote="Wizaed1]
Interesting Wizaed, the mirage drive is the one thing that I do tether every trip! For me it is a case of cost of replacement Vs increase in risk. Mirage drive is expensive to replace so it tethered, rods pliers etc are cheap by comparison so not leashed with the exception of my two offshore outfits that I spent more $ on so they get leashed also they are used for bigger fish, ones more likely to pull a rod from a holder on the take. Works for me pretty well but I did lose a combo to a snapper at Mornington last season.
[/quote]
I`ve wondered about the Mirage drive , seems I only put it in in shallow water & lift it out when I`m about to beach it . Would be upset if I lost it though . Another thing is finding places to tie all these things to also .
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

pairs of padeyes with a length of bungie stretched between them and clip leashes onto bungie. Use clips so you can change mounting positions.A length down each side of yak.

If rod holders have locking mechanism use them, much safer in case of flip over.
Brute
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Brute »

Just googled pad eyes . Neat idea .
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

laneends wrote:pairs of padeyes with a length of bungie stretched between them and clip leashes onto bungie. Use clips so you can change mounting positions.A length down each side of yak.

If rod holders have locking mechanism use them, much safer in case of flip over.
Similiar. I have eye spliced dyneema loops on the hobie under the seat and on various other padeyes and then clip things onto that. I have kept the area in front of the seat clear for reentry though.

I tether in my rods. I tether my bilge pump. Keep tackle below deck. Tether the mirage drive. Clip tools on very short tethers from the loops when I need them.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

As little as possible. And if you do keep them short and out of the way.

This is what I generally have tethered:
- Mirage drive. A short strong cable for surf landings. I lost it once, don't want to lose it again.
- Pliers on short bungee. So I can find them quick.
- Landing net. Short bungee clipped behind the seat but stretches to either side.
- Lip grips. Short bungee so fish don't swim off with them.

That's about it. I generally don't tether rods except when trolling for SBT or other big fish where a violent strike can rip a rod off/out.

I'd also avoid long chord type tethers around the cockpit. Winchbitch had some hairy moments trying to cut all the strong chord tethers wrapped around him (without a knife - knocked out of its leg holster) following his capsize at Balnarring a little while back. :o
0408 565 763
tightlines
Square eyes
kayak: PA 14

Post by tightlines »

Hrm. Good question. I don't tether anything accept my anchor with a quick release clip onto a ziplock that will snap before it pulls me under. I sort of go on the notion of 'that's fishing'. If I lose some gear over, I'm less likely to do it next time. Of course I strap my paddle and have a spare under the hatch. My mate was once cubing on the boat and hit the bottom of his rod (that was in a rod holder) when throwing in the cubes so sweet that it flew out and into the water. He dove in after it with no luck. This was my introduction to daiwas saltiga range. Haha almost 2k lost but worth if for the story we still tell. Reel is mag sealed. Now and again we go and fish that mark in hope we'll drag it up :lol: