Ouback vs Pa12 Yeah i know i know...

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: Ouback vs Pa12 Yeah i know i know...

Post by Wind Waker »

Many also say the PA14 rooftops easier than the PA12 due to the extra length making lifting a shallower angle.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Daniel
Apprentice
kayak: Pro Angler 12

Post by Daniel »

I have not tried an outback but have had my PA12 for just over 12 months. I car top it on an X-Trail with ease. I really only take half the weight at any one time so it's not an issue & it's so easy I think I should have taken more of a look at the PA14. I will say on those rough & windy days I feel extremely exposed on the PA, I think it's because you sit much higher than a regular yak. On the nice calm days I can't imagine there would be a better way to fish. It's got a comfortable seat, lots of room to move (can stand up to pee), it's very stable & relatively easy to get back onto if you do come off. Not that I have fallen off, just jumped off for a swim...Hope this helps, it's a big decision.
Dan.
sputnik
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by sputnik »

Daniel wrote:I have not tried an outback but have had my PA12 for just over 12 months. I car top it on an X-Trail with ease. I really only take half the weight at any one time so it's not an issue & it's so easy I think I should have taken more of a look at the PA14. I will say on those rough & windy days I feel extremely exposed on the PA, I think it's because you sit much higher than a regular yak. On the nice calm days I can't imagine there would be a better way to fish. It's got a comfortable seat, lots of room to move (can stand up to pee), it's very stable & relatively easy to get back onto if you do come off. Not that I have fallen off, just jumped off for a swim...Hope this helps, it's a big decision.
Hey man thanks for the reply, do you know if they take in much water when they flip? Couldnt think of anything worse than the hull filling with a fair bit of water whilst a km out from shore.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

sputnik wrote:Hey man thanks for the reply, do you know if they take in much water when they flip? Couldnt think of anything worse than the hull filling with a fair bit of water whilst a km out from shore.
Rhinos vid on flipping a PA
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

I used to own a outback and I thought it was the best kayak on the planet until I bought a pa14.
The pa seems a bit slower and turns slower then the outback but when your sitting on the water like a king there is nothing like it.
The rod storage and room around you is second to none in the pa.
The only down fall for the pa would be the steering but that can be fixed by making a larger rudder.
All I can say is try them both and see what you think your self.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Go see your local dealer for a run in both an outback and a PA. It all depends on what feels best for you. PA are a beast on the water. No one will argue with that. The stability is second only to a Adventure Island (or an outback with side kicks).
I'm happy with my outback and don't need the bulk of a PA but your circumstances maybe be different. I have to admit unless I'm pulling a lure out of a tree or standing up to change clothing the new seating really doesn't give me a reason to stand up that often which counters some of the stability advantages of a PA. Also remember a fully loaded PA might be too heavy for your roof racks.

A run on the water will make your mind up for you. Remember to allow an extra grand or so for your rod holders, sounder, battery, manual or elec bilge pump, pfd, torch, flag etc. Also allow some budget on an outback for a set of turbo fins and sailing rudder. The difference is staggering.

Lets be honest too - if you are 6'3 and 120kg buy the PA14. The Outback will be too small for you. If you are like me, about 5'9 and 75kg then the Outback for lifting, loading and leg room is heaps.

I really reckon this should be an Outback vs PA14 thread :thumbsup:
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
sputnik
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by sputnik »

Cheers guys you have all been a big help. I'm just on 6'1 maybe 6'2 at 93kg. So i think i might just save the few extra pennies and go with the PA12. :up:
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Ops
Last edited by bjspinner on 20 May 2015, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

sputnik wrote:Cheers guys you have all been a big help. I'm just on 6'1 maybe 6'2 at 93kg. So i think i might just save the few extra pennies and go with the PA12. :up:
Maybe a boat show deal at the Hobie stand :evilgrin:
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

sputnik wrote:Cheers guys you have all been a big help. I'm just on 6'1 maybe 6'2 at 93kg. So i think i might just save the few extra pennies and go with the PA12. :up:
I'm 6'3 and 105kgs (should be 95kgs :cry: ) and don't have any issue in the 2015 outback. I don't think I'd want to be in one of the older models though, the seats just don't cut it. In the new model I'm yet to get a wet a$$ and the hole where the mirage drive is drains all the water.

I bought the outback because I wanted something bigger than the revo that could still take on a small wave if going for a beach launch. The space isn't the same as a PA12/14 and I can see why people love them.

At the end of the day which ever you choose, you'll love it. I've never sat in a PA12/14 so I can't say they aren't better, but because I've not been in one, I don't lust after one either :)
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona