Ouback vs Pa12 Yeah i know i know...

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
sputnik
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2015 Hobie Outback

Re: Ouback vs Pa12 Yeah i know i know...

Post by sputnik »

hammertym wrote:
sputnik wrote:Cheers guys you have all been a big help. I'm just on 6'1 maybe 6'2 at 93kg. So i think i might just save the few extra pennies and go with the PA12. :up:
I'm 6'3 and 105kgs (should be 95kgs :cry: ) and don't have any issue in the 2015 outback. I don't think I'd want to be in one of the older models though, the seats just don't cut it. In the new model I'm yet to get a wet a$$ and the hole where the mirage drive is drains all the water.

I bought the outback because I wanted something bigger than the revo that could still take on a small wave if going for a beach launch. The space isn't the same as a PA12/14 and I can see why people love them.

At the end of the day which ever you choose, you'll love it. I've never sat in a PA12/14 so I can't say they aren't better, but because I've not been in one, I don't lust after one either :)

Cheers mate, throwing a spanner in the works and given me something to think about :shock:
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

sputnik wrote:
hammertym wrote:
sputnik wrote:Cheers guys you have all been a big help. I'm just on 6'1 maybe 6'2 at 93kg. So i think i might just save the few extra pennies and go with the PA12. :up:
I'm 6'3 and 105kgs (should be 95kgs :cry: ) and don't have any issue in the 2015 outback. I don't think I'd want to be in one of the older models though, the seats just don't cut it. In the new model I'm yet to get a wet a$$ and the hole where the mirage drive is drains all the water.

I bought the outback because I wanted something bigger than the revo that could still take on a small wave if going for a beach launch. The space isn't the same as a PA12/14 and I can see why people love them.

At the end of the day which ever you choose, you'll love it. I've never sat in a PA12/14 so I can't say they aren't better, but because I've not been in one, I don't lust after one either :)

Cheers mate, throwing a spanner in the works and given me something to think about :shock:
Who is the closest Hobie dealer to you?

Go and book a test drive then you will know for sure. Like I and others have said earlier.. :thumbsup:
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Being that he fishes patto sometimes I would say its the excellent crew at SLHobie Mornington. A morning at Mornington will have his mind made up for sure :thumbsup:
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
sputnik

Post by sputnik »

Would it be worth upgrading to the turbo fins on the Outback?
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

sputnik wrote:Would it be worth upgrading to the turbo fins on the Outback?
Sure would.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

bjspinner wrote:
sputnik wrote:Would it be worth upgrading to the turbo fins on the Outback?
Sure would.
I need to do this and update the rudder as well....
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Daniel
Apprentice
kayak: Pro Angler 12

Post by Daniel »

Hey man thanks for the reply, do you know if they take in much water when they flip? Couldnt think of anything worse than the hull filling with a fair bit of water whilst a km out from shore.[/quote]

Not sure mate, never done it. I do remember Shane having issues with his taking in water, but I think that was from rough chop... I think, by law, you need to carry some sort of bilge system anyway. Wether it be a sponge, bucket or a pump...

Again - good luck
Dan.
sputnik

Post by sputnik »

I was liking the blue one but would the colour be an issue when fishing? too visible to fish etc?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Daniel wrote:Hey man thanks for the reply, do you know if they take in much water when they flip? Couldnt think of anything worse than the hull filling with a fair bit of water whilst a km out from shore.
Not sure mate, never done it. I do remember Shane having issues with his taking in water, but I think that was from rough chop... I think, by law, you need to carry some sort of bilge system anyway. Wether it be a sponge, bucket or a pump...

Again - good luck[/quote]

My issue with water was from a cracked hull. That hull is now replaced although the new hull seems to be developing the same problem. The upgraded seals generally keep water out.
0408 565 763
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

Where is the crack developing Shane.
I have the same pa as yours and I wouldn't mind giving it a once over.

Thanks mate.