Not much $$$$

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Not much $$$$

Post by laneends »

wokka1 wrote:
Small Yaks have a place...my 3 m sit in gets me into areas I can't get a bigger yak either because of sketchy launch sites or skinny water. These are minimal gear trips so weight capacity ain't a problem and there is barely ever more than a ripple on the water. .
Which leads to another point sits ins for these uses have a big advantage in being lighter, low centre of gravity so dont dump you when you hit a rock etc. Easier manhandling, porting or down slippery banks. These short ebayers are not as light, and quite wide and bulky to carry too compared to a sit in, especially rigged. Being able to lift a sit in by the cockpit rim is easier.

My quest 11 is far easier to manhandle than the shorter ebayer. But there is a big $$ difference.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

The tarpon and the generic versions (terrapin xl, freak, etc) are somewhat similar with a few differences.. Ive got the specs here if your interested in a comparison.

As far as i can tell the overall shape isnt far appart.. The tarpon seems to make better use of space and the cockpit layout is different with a couple extra hatches and a better seat, and no doubt the quality of the finish is higher than that of the generics.. At half the price and a rudder coming with the terrapin as standard its not a bad piece of kit though. Good luck in chosing the right yak for yourself, and have fun :)

Tim
jamie2johnston
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie 2012 Outback - Red

Post by jamie2johnston »

If i don't buy a second hand Hobie i will buy a terrapin i think... I am going to up my budget but want to make sure i get something so i can also put a fish finder on it and anchor.
if anyone knows anyone selling an outback for a reasonable price please let me know.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

laneends wrote:How about this RTM keylargo
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATM-Keylargo ... 27fc6e4a87
Considering the average cart, rudder kit and paddle would set you back about $300, thats a good buy! Well spotted.
jamie2johnston
Apprentice

Post by jamie2johnston »

Thanks guys but i have decided to wait for a Hobie outback :)
Thank You again
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

You should be able to pick up a good second hand outback.
A lot of guys are upgrading to the 2015 model with the new seat and are selling off their old model.
I bought my 2009 model in 2013 for $1850 from a Forum member.
It came complete with heavy duty cart, anchor trolley, anchor, net, depth sounder, ram rod holder and rocket launcher.
Good luck with the search.

By the way did you used to go to Swinburne, I knew a Jamie Johnston when I studied there.
jamie2johnston
Apprentice

Post by jamie2johnston »

Hey Jacko
nah mate i didn't sorry, i Have decided on buying a brand new 2015 outback will be buying int he next 2 months