blank canvas

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
motspach
kayak: none

blank canvas

Post by motspach »

Hi guys

Just picked up an aquayak scout for a steal with trolley, no fish kit though.

So, for a beginner yak fisher, what are the essentials? I'm looking at 2x rod holders up front, anchor trolley and anchor and obviously safety gear. Anything else I should consider for my first forays into yakking?
I'll keep my eye out for a used sounder on ebay/gumtree but its not a priority right now
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: blank canvas

Post by laneends »

Look at safety section.

Most importantly watch weather patterns on BOM site, as scout has limited capability in anything but good weather.
motspach

Post by motspach »

Thanks laneends
I'm pretty comfortable with weather patterns as its basically a full time hobby when snow season starts. I'm definitely a fair weather fisherman - I've got plenty of other hobbies to pursue if the weather turns.
Jerryx4
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ebay Banger

Post by Jerryx4 »

Rod holders at back are best on a lil yak ;) can't get up front unless u can lean further forward then ur legs outstretched lol
I came here to get wet.....
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

motspach wrote:Thanks laneends
I'm pretty comfortable with weather patterns as its basically a full time hobby when snow season starts. I'm definitely a fair weather fisherman - I've got plenty of other hobbies to pursue if the weather turns.
I think Keith was referring to the weather turning while you are out on the yak. Welcome aboard.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
motspach

Post by motspach »

Yep I know. Using bom and other charts I can tell you fairly accurately wind strength direction temps and snowfall for 3 days time. I spend way too much time at work studying weather charts. ive also done plenty of fishing out of a small tinny which would capsize from a whale fart :lol:
I've installed 2x rear holders (cheap cheap) and a swivel on the front side. Where do people mount their sounders? Between the feet or on the side of the hull? is a second holder up front worthwhile? Not sure if I should leave it free for a sounder down the track.
I figure I'll have a rod in hand when not paddling and one put back when on the move.
Cheers guys
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Check "the beast" and DIY forums for examples. Paddle yaks sounders usually go central in front of you. If you have a consol then there. You dont want it to foul paddle stroke or impede access into and out of yak. Dont have it too close to you either or it gets in the way of landing fish and just generally cluttering workspace.

I have a front central rod holder on an extension so rod butt is above sounder.