any advice is good advice

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

any advice is good advice

Post by Franko »

hi brand new to the world of yak fishing..... so any advice anything regarding starting points gear and must haves will be appreciated. My plans consist of salt or fresh
my rig atm is a cobra tourer rods are daiwa gen black 2-5 and daiwa sol 4-8 lb to start with target species well redfin yellas cod and bream flattys pinkies salmon squid.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: any advice is good advice

Post by choppers »

Have a look at the safety section mate
Welcome
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

My must have list
Pfd
Bailer
Anchor
Sunscreen
Water/ drinks
food
Safety flag pole lunch heavy traffic areas
Plan for the session ie weather forecast wind and a back up plan
Some reentry practice on ya yak too
if night fishing a led light pole
and have fun
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

As choppers said- check out the safety section.
Most questions can be answered by the search function, if not there are plenty of ppl here that will be happy to answer your questions and queries.

Welcome to vyak Fank :thumbsup:
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

You've made a good start already Frank nice first yak! Quick on the water those, it will serve you well! As other shave said check out the safety section and practise how to re-enter your yak before you have to do it. Essential gear is the legally required safety gear everything else is an extra.
http://www.transportsafety.vic.gov.au/_ ... pter-4.pdf
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

:yahoo: :yahoo: cheers gents ill check it out. my knowledge of the bay is good all safety aspects PLB, bailer, safety lines and waterproof bags etc. weather plays a big part I do not have a sounder but GPS capable. I would like a starting point was thinking of trolling whilst paddling to get hours up paddling and cover more ground close to shore or river until I get confident changing from boat to yak slightly daunting. re-entry has been practiced up the coast.
0401 314 820

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Sounder wont be long off the shopping list, especially as it can save you loosing a lot of expensive lures trolling. Helps you not loose anchors dropping them in the rocks too. Only need a cheapie
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Cheers good advice much appreciated now the weather is finnally looking up time in the water is a must
0401 314 820

Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

What area are you fishing?
CaNoE-YaK
Apprentice
kayak: Mad River Canoe - Adventure Series

Post by CaNoE-YaK »

Hey Frank,

Great to see another newbie to yak fishing, likewise I'm quite fairly new to it as well and can offer some tips when heading out for the first few times;

Don't overload ya yak, can be very nice to have everything ya need (plus what you really don't) but all the extra weight can make the experience a little off putting. Especially when the catch is so little for the huge effort put in. Also make sure anything you have on board is well secured as losing anything over the side is not worth experiencing (many stories on VYak about and lost a few items myself I wish never happened, but a great lesson learnt, maybe something you don't want to go thru)...

Having strong knowledge of the areas ya plan to fish is always great to have (& a must to always build on & forums like this really do help) but yak fishing can sometimes throw all that out the window. By this I mean if ya used to fishing out of a boat especially a sizable one, getting in the yak for fish ya need to check & re-check the conditions to make sure you will be coming home safe & sound. Please don't take this as me trying to scare or put you off, just sharing my experiences. You will become very addicted to yak fishing as it's like no other fishing I have ever done, best way to get as close as possible to the action & rewards it pays out just can't be beat.

Wish you all the best with you yak fishing journey & also which area ya from?

Cheers, Rob.