How far is off shore?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Re: How far is off shore?

Post by cobby »

Last night the main sw running swell was around 1.8m with some bigger sets about 8 second spread. There was a smaller ~1m se running swell only 3 or so second spread. Combined they broke in 12m of water. They were big when combined. It's not easy out there in a boat let alone kayak if it's like that
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

Post by Matt.A »

Swell can be a big issue offshore. This was barwon heads bar the other day and I had to go through it -.- 2.5-3m solid breakers rolling through (Shane you'll probably appreciate the size.. It was dwarfing the red stick out the entrance) Close to land offshore can be more dangerous than out wide somedays. Keep offshore for when you are 364456363% confident in your abilities.
Attachments
image.jpg
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

The guys have answered your original question pretty good, but I could not help myself with the following;
seamuppet wrote: I was hoping that since ocean swell has a longer period, stability should not be a big issue for me, I hv a old hobie adventure with add on amas not the sailing type. Hv not try off shore yet try to get some idea first.
From my experiance with amas, they can give the unexperianced a false sense of security, specially when you start adding swell/chop to the equation. Small add on amas are desinged increasing stability for flat water, they are not for rough conditions.

When you sit on a kayak (only) and side on to a swell, the hull will tilt on the water surface allowing the kayaker to maintain a balance ( a vertical position) and stability to a point. Amas on the other hand work in the oposite, forcing the kayak hull to tilt to the same angle as the face of the wave, the greater the angle, the harder it is to maintain balance and the quicker you lose stability.

I personlly have had a 1 meter bay swell/chop (breaking) throw my AI over, and let me tell you, it was far more violent than any kayak only capsize. As far as I am concerned, the quicker you get off the training wheels (floaties, unless you need them to "stand and fish" off the adventure), the better off you will be, specially if you are planning to go off any ocean beach.

Eddie
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

That's some truly excellent and informative advice Elm. :up:
0408 565 763
seamuppet
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Adventure

Post by seamuppet »

Thanks all for the heads up, :up: I am in awe with the challenge offshore :o it seems I need more practice time chasing mullets and pinkys in the bay and a proper AI before going Off shore.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

seamuppet wrote:Thanks all for the heads up, :up: I am in awe with the challenge offshore :o it seems I need more practice time chasing mullets and pinkys in the bay and a proper AI before going Off shore.
just go with someone who is familiar with the area and conditions
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

seamuppet wrote:Thanks all for the heads up, :up: I am in awe with the challenge offshore :o it seems I need more practice time chasing mullets and pinkys in the bay and a proper AI before going Off shore.
The Adventure is more than up to the task of heading offshore. You just need to gain experience and take it in steps until you are properly equipped to venture far offshore. Going out with someone else is always a plus.
0408 565 763
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

shane wrote:That's some truly excellent and informative advice Elm. :up:
Cheers Shane and agree the adventure (with the right equipment and operator) is very suited to off-shore. Without a doubt, amas have thier uses, but they can also make things very uncomfortable. Its my opinion that one needs to be profisient both with & without the ama, so they can then make more informed dicisions when and how to best use them.
You can start practising with an AI now with a little investment, and happy to throw in advise for free.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

seamuppet
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Adventure

Post by seamuppet »

ELM wrote:
shane wrote:That's some truly excellent and informative advice Elm. :up:
Cheers Shane and agree the adventure (with the right equipment and operator) is very suited to off-shore. Without a doubt, amas have thier uses, but they can also make things very uncomfortable. Its my opinion that one needs to be profisient both with & without the ama, so they can then make more informed dicisions when and how to best use them.
You can start practising with an AI now with a little investment, and happy to throw in advise for free.
Good price but I hv now one pa12 and one adventure hardly getting on water enough, need to sell the pa12 to release some $$$ first. :up: