How far is off shore?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
seamuppet
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Adventure

How far is off shore?

Post by seamuppet »

Hi guys hear this off shore discription a lot. How far from land is off shore any way? Do we hv a consensus or international standard at all? Tx
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: How far is off shore?

Post by cheaterparts »

seamuppet wrote:Hi guys hear this off shore discription a lot. How far from land is off shore any way? Do we hv a consensus or international standard at all? Tx
off shore are waters that are not inclosed - ie Westernport and PPB are inclosed waters ,where as the front of Phillip Island ( surf beach side ) is off shore
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Headake
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ivory Dune Hobie Outback

Post by Headake »

are you asking how far from land people go on their Yaks?
I was raised on a farm in Moooresville, Indiana. My mama died when I was three, my daddy beat the hell out of me cause he didn't know no better way to raise me. I like baseball, movies, good clothes, fast cars, whiskey, and you... what else you need to know?
wacazac
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revolution 13

Post by wacazac »

Spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

pb dusky flathead 60cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Basically there are two definitions of offshore.

1. Around here and many yak fishing circles offshore is fishing in the open ocean from a beach, ramp or inlet launch. eg fishing the ocean out from Barwon Heads or one of the entrances to WP or PPB.
2. The formal terminology for what's described above is inshore waters. To be truly offshore you need to be more than 2 Nautical Miles (3.7km) away from the nearest land. At this distance different safety regulations for yaks such as an EPIRB, flares etc. kick in.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

General term for being a fairway from the shore even while still in the bays is 'out wide'. Which to me would be over 1km, this would make you either insignificant or invisible to anyone on shore. You need to be confident in yourself, your equipment and weather conditions to go further than that, mainly because it can take a while to get back in if it turns foul.
seamuppet
Apprentice

Post by seamuppet »

Thanks guys so if I am not in the bay but rather close to land it should be as safe as in the bay right? How is the tidal force in ocean near land? I hope it is better than WPB?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

seamuppet wrote:Thanks guys so if I am not in the bay but rather close to land it should be as safe as in the bay right? How is the tidal force in ocean near land? I hope it is better than WPB?
You will have ocean swell to contend with

Look over meteye
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/?loc=NSW_FA001
seamuppet
Apprentice

Post by seamuppet »

laneends wrote:
seamuppet wrote:Thanks guys so if I am not in the bay but rather close to land it should be as safe as in the bay right? How is the tidal force in ocean near land? I hope it is better than WPB?
You will have ocean swell to contend with

Look over meteye
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/?loc=NSW_FA001

How was the ocean swell experience you had urself? I was hoping that since ocean swell has a longer period, stability should not be a big issue for me, I hv a old hobie adventure with add on amas not the sailing type. Hv not try off shore yet try to get some idea first.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Offshore swell can be an issue over 2m, especially if anchored. Mostly its OK and can moderate wind but its something to get used too. Big swells make it difficult as you are normally launching through surf or an inlet where the tide and swell interact to form waves that can easily be dangerous. Tides offshore are usually minimal flow but again at inlets and bay entrances can flow extremely quickly. Get the tide wrong and you can be in a very dangerous situation.

Best to take small steps only going out on very calm days without much tide/swell interaction until you gain experience.
0408 565 763