Dive torches

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Dive torches

Post by Jacko »

Thought I would start a thread about dive torches.
Having done a night snorkel last week I learnt that my dive torch which I have had for over 20 years is quite dull and does not have a good beam compared to the current dive torches.
Especially compared to Eddies "MCG lights" that he loaned to Merv.
Unfortunately the globe blew on my Underwater Kinetics dive torch a few years ago and replacement torch globes don't seem to have the same focal length.
I thought I would try to fit a LED instead of the incandescant globe and have ordered a 6V white LED globe I found on ebay from Germany to upgrade the torch.

Meanwhile Mav put me on to a NUDive 130 lumen LED dive torch that runs on 2 C cells from Jacar for under $30 so I went in to have a look.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3459

I walked out with the 130 lumen dive torch and a divers 200 lumen 30 m LED headlamp and a water activated safety strobe LED for a bit over $60.
Looking forward to trying the torches out in the water either at night or looking under ledges during the day.

What dive torches do VYakers use ?
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Dive torches

Post by maverick »

Hey Jacko, I thought those torches I told you about were 250 lumens? If they are only 100 then they are not that great.

Have you tried out the new gear in the dark yet, be interesting to hear a comparison as compared to your old torch, even out of the water.

Also, how will the head lamp go wearing a mask? If it works ok I might grab one as well.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

Yeah that's what I was thinking to Mav....if the mask won't get in the way could be a good idea too...as for the other torches you know what I use 8-) 8-)
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

The Jaycar web site says 250 lumens but the box says 135lm MEASURED.
The beam creates a well lit approx 4 foot diameter circle when I hold the torch about 6 foot off the floor.
If snorkelling in 6 foot deep water it should light a 4 foot diameter area on the bottom.

The headlamp I bought is brighter (box says 200 lumens) and has a narrower beam.
I don't particularly like headlamps for diving because it is hard not to look towards your buddy and accidently "blind" them, but at $30 I thought I would pick it up & try it.
It feels like it sits on my forehead above my mask seal but a test in the water may prove it to be a dud for diving.
If it is no good for diving it should still be usefull for night fishing on the yak or maybe a headlamp for a bike.
dilwad
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Oasis

Post by dilwad »

The knock off led lensers from ebay are the bomb. A bright tight beam is great for checking ledges and the yellow colour makes them harder to loose. I usually buy half a dozen at a time because they are so cheap, and then I don't feel sad when I loose them up a cray ledge or through lack of care/maintenance.

The 4xAA batteries go a long way too. I have left them on in my dive tub and come back a week later to find them still going.

I have also tied them to a pole before and used as a flounder light.

The link just shows the kind I'll look for, 4xAA battery power and 300-400lm.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/500-Lm-CREE- ... ff5&_uhb=1

One of my dive buddies has the elastic headlamp variant, which has been working great for him.

If it was exclusively for night dives, I would want a torch with a super wide beam and lower intensity, but to dazzle/stun fish while night diving no worries.