surf entry and exit vid

A forum for member's kayak or fishing related videos
blinky
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback

surf entry and exit vid

Post by blinky »

gday folks, been learning to handle my outback in the surf lately. this is my first video attempt at capturing some of the action. Also its my first video using Cyberlink powerdirector 12. So far in my experience handleing the kayak when the waves are breaking right on shore has been the most awkward. the kayak wont sit straight for long, getting washed sideways as the waves retreat. you also cant wade far out because of the odd bigger waves dumping hard on shore. when even a tiny wave hits your kayak sideways its very hard to hold on to. When watching for a gap in the swell you have to try and look far out the back to see if you can see bigger waves coming. because it takes a certain amount of time to get from shore out past the breakers, for example 30 seconds to a minute you have to try and see big waves that are coming from that far out. It isnt always possible. I think with experience you get much better at judging this. every location and swell/wind/tide conditions will change whats safely doable. you have to judge for yourself at the time you are there and observe the conditions thoroughly.
I was also wondering peoples opinion on leashing or not leashing the paddle during surf launch and re-entry?
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: surf entry and exit vid

Post by GoneFishn »

Don't teather the paddle, and I'm not sure your aware you where using your paddle upside down the whole time :lol:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Looks like a good spot to go have a play in the waves.

Dont tether, you have no time to mess around with leash tangles, which are more likely as you a not using steady strokes. Also if you fall out, or need to hop out, it becomes far worse if leash gets wrapped around your legs. Its all going to end up on the beach anyway

Dont be afraid of trailing the paddle or backsweepng to keep it straight. At the end of the day broaching may become unavoidable.
blinky

Post by blinky »

GoneFishn wrote:Don't teather the paddle, and I'm not sure your aware you where using your paddle upside down the whole time :lol:
Oops there's a right way up?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Well done on putting together a great video of your session Liegh.

It looked like ideal conditions for getting out for a play with very gentle surf and plenty of spacing between the sets. In those conditions coming in conventionally with a little bit of broaching at the end would be comfortable and the way to go. I suspect it would get a lot more interesting with bigger and closer sets. :roll:

A few comments if I may:
- You've used the paddle to get out without your fins or rudder. This will be problematic on an outback, particularly as the surf gets bigger. You are much better off using your fins and rudder to drive the yak out through the waves and keep your paddle in your spare hand in case you need to pedal and paddle. The mirage drive has much greater torque and will drive the kayak faster from a standing start. The rudder will also keep you straighter into the waves as it looked like hard work keeping it straight with the paddle, even on smaller waves. You should find it much easier to just wade out into waist deep water, drop the fins, jump on and power out. Pumping hard on the pedals will give you much better forward momentum through waves and allow you to maintain and re-establish speed. The rudder will keep you going straighter and you can always use the paddle for additional corrections.
- You did well timing your entries between the sets. On beaches with bigger waves or closer spacing this will be much harder. Try using the fins and rudder to move between sets and then quickly spin around to face bigger waves front on as if you were heading out. This can work well in bigger waves and you either turn and run between waves or allow the wave motion to gradually push you to the beach. (But remember to push the fins against the hull if you go sideways or your will flip more easily, better to lock them up or pull iof you're intending to broach at the end).
- If all else fails you can jump off and hang onto the back to ride the yak in, using your bodies drag to keep it straight through the surf.

Congratulations for putting this up and hopefully it encourages more Vic yak anglers to spend more time beyond the breakers. :up: There's a lot of great fishing out there that's largely going untapped.
0408 565 763
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

blinky wrote:
GoneFishn wrote:Don't teather the paddle, and I'm not sure your aware you where using your paddle upside down the whole time :lol:
Oops there's a right way up?
There is for an asymmetric paddle :thumbsup:
blinky

Post by blinky »

Thanks for all the advise guys. At the moment caus im very new to the surf stuff I've been keeping it really simple. Once I get more comfortable with judging conditions and know my limits I'll try the mirage drive and rudder. I need to work out a way to secure the drive Up front so its more readily accessable. Atm I have it secured in the bungees at the back. The tethers/leashes I have now arent up to holding anything in a capsize in the surf. Another little problem I had was the plastec lugs that hold the seat in were seriously jammed with sand and I nearly broke them trying to twist them out. Anyone got a solution for this? Hopefully I can get out with someone who has more experience than me and learn some things first hand.
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

Leigh what seat lugs do you have :?:
Are they the old ones with the key ring you turn
Or the new ones that you do a quarter twist on on a plastic tab :?:
Brett
blinky

Post by blinky »

Bretty wrote:Leigh what seat lugs do you have :?:
The plastic tab ones brett. There was sand in every crack and crevice and was packed tight in and around the lugs
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

blinky wrote:
Bretty wrote:Leigh what seat lugs do you have :?:
The plastic tab ones brett. There was sand in every crack and crevice and was packed tight in and around the lugs
Doh that sucks :cry:
Maybe take a 3ltr bottle full of water and a extra cap with some small holes drilled in it.
Tip the yak on its side and try squirt the sand out with the water bottle :idea:

Ps nice vid too :up:
Brett