winter, what to wear in PPB

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: winter, what to wear in PPB

Post by ELM »

Appropriate Kayak clothing is clothing that is worn to protect you from the elements. Appropriate kayak clothing should protect you from the sun, wind, rain and more importantly immersion.
The dangers from an immersion situation are;
(1) Hypothermia
(2)Cold Shock

My opinion is that you should dress for immersion first and foremost, then work on a balance in comfort, freedom of movement and surface protection after that. If you are not dressing for immersion, and also advising others to do the same, in my opinion, you are sadly (putting it politely) very mistaken and should not be on the water in or on a kayak.

If you are getting cold on your kayak, then you are ill dressed for an immersion whether short or prolonged. If you are staying very warm or even getting hot then you are probably better suited to a prolonged immersion and will have a higher chance of survival when or if the situation arises. If you are getting cold on your kayak and cannot warm up, you are doomed and so is an enjoyable day out on your kayak, if you are overheating then simply take a dip, practise a quick re-entry to cool off and continue your day on your kayak.

To properly protect yourself in an immersion, you need to minimise heat loss to the water around you. The only way to do that is to have a completely sealed barrier or have a close fitting thermal barrier and minimise water flow next to the skin. Conditions change on a regular basis so it is important to take notice of the condition and dress appropriately to best protect yourself and that is more easily achieved by layering
A good balance should include;
(1) Base layer (thermal).
(2) Secondary (waterproof / wind proof / UV protection)
(3) Accessories (hats / glasses / boots / further UV protection)

Cotton and wool clothes should be avoided, in fact they have no place on a kayak as they absorb water, dry slowly and become heavy.

From personal experience a dry-suit is by far the best option as a secondary layer, but only if you keep it sealed and layer accordingly underneath to match that of the external climate and water temperature in your area. Having a relief zip or valve is also a must.

Pants that are loose fitting may be warm and protect you from splash, wind etc when on a kayak but will not give you any thermal protection in the water in an immersion, as the water can freely flow by your skin sapping important heat away, and should only be classed as a secondary layer.

Neoprene, as found in wet-suits, will offer thermal and UV protection and can be classed as your thermal layer, you need to note however. A tight fitting full wet-suit (like a diver would wear) will actually help cause fatigue from limiting freedom of movement, also full suits cause chaff and minimise freedom of movement through the shoulders and arms when paddling, causing further fatigue. Its also a good thing to remember, if you are wearing a neoprene suit and are wet, wind will penetrate the neoprene magnifying the chances of wind chill after an immersion, hence the need for a secondary layer.
Its also a good time to point out that any layer that is not sealed, needs to be able to freely drain water away, having a sealed boot/leg like waders, will not drain and can hold water against the body sapping important heat away. They can also hold water making you heavier and making the task of exiting the water even harder, remember the idea of your clothing is for protection.

If you cannot afford a dry-suit or prefer using neoprene then a good set of neoprene long John's will give your torso and legs thermal and UV protection, the thickness will depend on personal body heat loss and the amount of exercise one will be exerting, however for winter I think 3 mm should be a minimum in a cool climate like Melbourne. A free moving fibre thermal layer like a T-shirt (not cotton or wool) may also be needed for the arms and upper torso, once again depending on the amount of excursion and personal body heat loss.
As a secondary layer, you could then go for a windproof spray jacket similar to what cyclists and sailors wear, they will once again allow freedom of movement through the shoulders while blocking UV, water spray (not immersion) and wind.

It is common knowledge that most heat loss is through your head, as is hydration. A good hat is a must and while a wool beanie is comfortable, it is useless once wet. Go for synthetic hats or neoprene hoods. Both direct and reflective radiation from the sun can also do a lot of damage, sun creams of 30+ and sun glasses are also a good idea to wear for increased protection and yes even in winter there is a danger from UV light.

Heat loss through your feet is a major effect on a kayak. Your feet are constantly in contact with the water from the moment you start off, so protect them the same as the rest of your body with layers. A good pair of neoprene boots and thick thermal socks will help keep your feet warm. If you want to go one step further and keep them dry as well, do not go for waders. Sealskinz socks are waterproof, wear them as a secondary layer like a dry-suit, then layer with thermal socks underneath, that way your main suit will still drain if you are immersed. Also note boots with zips will allow more water to flow through allowing a greater heat loss, if you can, get neoprene boots with no zip.

Finally PFD's are a legal requirement and should be worn at all times, a PFD Type 2 can also add some thermal and secondary protection while being able to help you float from the moment you hit the water, an inflatable PFD Type 1 offers neither of these properties.
Last edited by ELM on 31 Jul 2010, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Nicely written Elm, no a quick cut and paste answer for this question each time.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

although it not been used in a yak as yet I bought a 3 mm kayak wet suit and bootys
basicly its a 3 mm long john with more padding on the bum and knees with a fly zip - so far the only road test has been a surf trip
I did some spinning for quite some time standing in water and it was quite warm
I think a shark skin top is the next thing on the list

for a couple of hunded dollers the custom made wet suit ( in size short and fat ) was the go
it works well surf fishing and will do the job in the yak

cheater
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
mango13
Apprentice
kayak: Ocean Kayak prowler 13

Post by mango13 »

Hello everyone,
thank you for all of your replies. Your answers and input has been very helpful. It has given me several perspectives to look at, and i will take my time to decide which way to go. :?: A drysuit will be cost prohibitive for me, but i would especially like to thank ELM for his advice. :idea:
Also i would like to say gooday to Mordy, i hope to see you out there this summer. :)
Thanks everyone
Cheers
mango13
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

I just hope you got something out of it, the last thing I want is a statistic that looks poorly on our sport and is that of a fellow fisher's life.

Be smart and protect yourself.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,

Cheers
Eddie

Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Jem Southwind (built)

Post by Tormentor »

maverick wrote:ugg boots, trackie dakz, beanie, jacket & stay at home... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
agreed
squid ink
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2010

Post by squid ink »

I saw a utube video with a guy disclaiming that chest waders made you sink. He done some experiments in a swimming pool with his kayak wearing the chest waders. He also had a belt accross the chest and this helped keep him dry with only a tiny amount of water leaking inside the chest waders.
Does anyone wear chest waders? :?: :?:
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

squid ink wrote:I saw a utube video with a guy disclaiming that chest waders made you sink. He done some experiments in a swimming pool with his kayak wearing the chest waders. He also had a belt accross the chest and this helped keep him dry with only a tiny amount of water leaking inside the chest waders.
Does anyone wear chest waders? :?: :?:
Hi Squid ink
The "potential" problem with waders is not so much about them making you sink, its more about getting back out and what happens if/when you do manage to get back out.
A lot of people like to wear waders, specially neoprene waders, they are comfortable and can keep your feet warm and dry, there is no doubt about that. But waders have the potential to be as hazardous as an unzipped dry-suit, any layer that is not sealed, needs to be able to freely drain water away, having a sealed boot/leg like waders, will not drain and will hold water against the body sapping important heat away. They ability for water to enter your waders in an immersion, even with a belt, is very high, making the task of exiting the water, even harder due to the extra weight of the now trapped water. If by some chance you are “not” wearing a PFD and you enter the water head first, the air trapped in your waders has the potential to hold you upside down (head first) under the water. If you do wear waders, learn to do a somersault while in the water, this will then transfer the air from your feet back up to the waist of your wader where it is expelled and water gushes inside instead. In the end, remember the idea of your clothing is for protection and I would not recommend the use of waders on a kayak.

Cheers
Eddie

Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

I have just bought a pair of dry pants. At first glance they seem to be the ducks guts. http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=ttp My biggest problem is i hate getting my feet wet so these cover that as well as keeping the water out in the event of a spill. Will also double as regular waders up to the waste. Time will tell if they live up. Reckon Eddie might even approve :D
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Dognut wrote:I have just bought a pair of dry pants. At first glance they seem to be the ducks guts. http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=ttp My biggest problem is i hate getting my feet wet so these cover that as well as keeping the water out in the event of a spill. Will also double as regular waders up to the waste. Time will tell if they live up. Reckon Eddie might even approve :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: ;) actually I had a look at some, some sea kayakers were wearing, they look bloody brilliant how ever they did mention some chaffing from the seal around the waste, they also had bulky spray skirt cags on there (also sealed) jackets.

Just hope they work out for you Dognut and really looking forward to a full blown review on them, as long as they get you out of those waders mate, my work is done ;) :lol: .

Cheers
Eddie