Jay's Hobie Quest 13

Show off your kayak!
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Jay's Hobie Quest 13

Post by Jay »

Ok so as some of you may know, I lost a lot of sleep until I purchased my beloved Hobie Quest 13.

One thing I wanted to do, was take it out a few times without any mods at all and work out where to put what.

I've done that, and gone out a few times and last weekend I bit the bullet and decided to start drilling holes and fitting it out. Was very nerve racking drilling holes into my brand new yak ! The story goes something like this:

I went out last week and went on a shopping spree purchasing a whole heap of goodies from CH Smith, including a whole host of railblaza gear from side ports to star ports, to whip flag, rod holders, ram adjustable arm for Lowrance unit, Lowrance 4x HDI (new model), anchor cleat to name a few:

They sat in my shed for a whole week while I sat in the yak, took it out and just had a play around with where I would think would be the best position to put everything. As the rudder is due to be installed this week, I wanted everything else installed so once the rudder was on, I was free to get out amongst it !

First up, was to get rid of the centre gear bucket and make a hatch liner to suit. I used a flexi tub from Bunnings for some pocket change. While I was at it, did the front too ! and this is the result:

The transducer fitout was probably the hardest job, as the grommet behind the seat where the transducer wiring enters the hull is very fiddly and required some extra hands. This is where the bulk of my time was spent. For those of you who don't know, the 2014 model Hobie Quest, Outback, PA 12 and 14 and Sport all come LOWRANCE READY - this means the holes are pre-cut and the grommets are there for you to run the wiring. I would have thought they would have placed the grommet behind the seat in a much better position. It was an absolutely pain in the ar$e to get the transducer cable into there and reach the washer from the other side but managed in the end.
Jay
Square eyes

Re: Jay's Hobie Quest 13

Post by Jay »

Transducer going into hull via grommet:

Now that the sounder cables were run, time to install battery. I took the original gear bucket from centre hatch and cut it down to accept a standard 7aH SLA battery which fits like a glove. The container is waterproof also which is a bonus and sits up from the bottom of the hull if any water got inside ! :thumbsup:

Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Next up, rod holders.
I decided to place these behind the rudder pedals and they clear even at 180 degree bend. I find this spot allows me to straddle the yak but is clear of the deck space also, win win for me ! Also, having them this far forward means I can troll and not impede my paddle stroke:

And last, but certainly not least, the flag pole. I used a railblaza star port and railblaza flag whip. For a 360 degree white light I used an Anaconda light I picked up for $5 and cable tied to the top. Not flash but at $35, can't go wrong ! Runs on 3 AA batteries

That's all for the mods so far. I still have to drill an Anchor cleat in which is sitting in my shed but will do that this week some time. AKS is going to install the rudder and anchor trolley this week hopefully and it should be done... for now :-)
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

I'm happy with how it turned out. My main goal/focus was to keep the deck clean and to keep the gunnels clear for ease of car topping.

Cheers,

Jay !
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Post by MrTall »

Nice one Jay. I will be interested to see how long those caps last on the moulded rod holders. I got annoyed with them straight away.
Also how are you gonna mount the sounder head unit?
Dave
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Post by MrTall »

Oops scrap that last question. You posted while I was typing. :lol:
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Lol all good. Thanks mate. :thumbsup:

Yeah dunno about those caps they are pretty irritating! For now they stay though lol
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Nice work Jay the mods look the goods :thumbsup: Did you remember to drill some holes in the centre hatch liner that you made? I know water dribbles in when you open the hatch and people recommend adding a hole or two for drainage, but I actually added some so that I would know if the hull was taking on water you can't tell if you have a bunnings bucket that fits in there snugly. Just a thought!
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Thanks Eoin!

Nah mate I didn't. Dont really find water gets in alot. I wipe with my palm before I open lid. One or two drops get in but nothing to send off the alarm bells. I'll monitor it and if looks like it's going to give me a soggy hatch I'll get the drill out.

With the mods they are not major but sometimes simple and less is more
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Drilling holes is nerve wrecking isn't. With most things i've installed, even with all the procrastinating, on water trials always leaves me wishing they were a few cms this way or that way.

If you are ever at full stretch trying to reach a nut in the hull through the hatches, you can always unscrew and remove hatch assembly, sometimes it can give you that extra cm to reach. I'm thinking a couple of mounts behind the seat area, but its a bugger to reach