Thinking of selling my Yak due to Safety

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Thinking of selling my Yak due to Safety

Post by ELM »

Good call to protect yourself from immersion, more so an extended immersion in water colder than you are used to, and that effects you. Winter here, water temps can get as low 9 degree's in Port Phillip Bay, and while it may feel safer in a stream somewhere, be aware that most will probably be colder. While streams are generally protected, lakes are a different kettle of fish and can be just as rough/dangerous as any bay, so I am not sure that advise to head inland, will solve your problem.

Agree with others that only you can make the final decision, smart to seek opinion though. Like Diggers, I also had to give it away, and know it is a kick in the pants. Kick or not, if it is no longer safe to continue with the kayak,then you should stop and find another way to continue fishing until it is safe.

In saying the above, you sound as if you are a switched on bloke, have plenty of ability and know your limitations. If you know you have a chink in your armor, and can find a safe affective work around to strengthen it, then I see no reason to stop (but again, only you can make a final decision).
Cheater, etc, have put you onto Martin at Oceansuits. They have been around for a long time, make quality gear, and see no reason why they can not fit you out with some nice custom neoprene longjohns.
Rhino is probably one of the best to talk to, about re-mounting PA's, on here. He has put you onto the stirrip, which I think could be a good work around for you, as it has helped others.
So all you have left to do, is knock one up, drop a post that you wish to have a re-mount day, and wait for the possie to arrive. Always safer to have a practice with others around. It's also a great way to meet others that share the same interest, and no shortage of people willing to have some practice.

If after all that, you find the armor still leaking nd not happy, then maybe it is time to get a boat or hire charters. No loss, you still have a nice pair of longjohns, that will serve you well in the boat here in winter.

Eddie
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

PoddyMullet
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Dagger Drifter 2, Perception Swing, Hobie Revo

Post by PoddyMullet »

These Tassie based guys will also whip up a suit to ya own measurements, no affiliation just chatted to em at a fishing show.

http://www.anchorwetsuits.com.au/
fatyakker
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by fatyakker »

Thanks for all the advise guys.

:thumbsup:
edt4eva
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by edt4eva »

Don't know if this will help, but it seamed to work for me. Several years or so back I learnt to scuba dive (bloody love it) and the best water to dive in around these coasts is tempered water or cold water. I could never afford a proper wet suit, so what I did was always drive around with the air con on cold and wear shorts more etc this seamed to condition me better for the cold, or maybe it had the placebo effect, but it worked for me.

Me in Geelong, look forward to going fishin together one day.
PB's / Estuary Perch 42cm (Nelson), Pike 85cm (Curlewis Bank), Flathead 50cm (Portarlington), Trevally 38cm (Swan Bay)
fatyakker
Apprentice

Post by fatyakker »

Yes I loved my diving and had a wetsuit then... still love snorkeling.. the 26-28 degree waters made it easy too.

I am thinking of seeing if a local pool will allow a safety day

Like this
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Mick, why not make rope stirrup off the rear handle to remount from the rear or off the side handle. I keep my gear to a minimum so I won't lose much, if anything and won't get in the way to remount if I tip the PA over. I've seen some of the yaks on here and just shake my head with the amount of crap they take, you'd think they were going out for 3months instead of 6-7hours.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
fatyakker
Apprentice

Post by fatyakker »

Jenko wrote:Mick, why not make rope stirrup off the rear handle to remount from the rear or off the side handle. I keep my gear to a minimum so I won't lose much, if anything and won't get in the way to remount if I tip the PA over. I've seen some of the yaks on here and just shake my head with the amount of crap they take, you'd think they were going out for 3months instead of 6-7hours.
I do run the live tank on the back so that makes it harder..
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Jenko wrote:Mick, why not make rope stirrup off the rear handle to remount from the rear or off the side handle. I keep my gear to a minimum so I won't lose much, if anything and won't get in the way to remount if I tip the PA over. I've seen some of the yaks on here and just shake my head with the amount of crap they take, you'd think they were going out for 3months instead of 6-7hours.
I have this problem, too many rods and too many leashes. Yet to catch more fish than rods I take.. :oops:

Best if you can lock the rods in holders and tubes so they dont come out at all if you tip.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Before making your decision to sell your yak consider the Kayak Fishing safety/starter course run at East Coast Kayaking out of Sandringham. (No affiliation)
There is one next week on 9th Feb and another next month on 9th March.
See my post in this safety section.
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17525

and last years report on the course
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12921

I did the course last year and plan on going back for a refresher this year.
On the course the instructors demonstrate and you will practice re entering your kayak after falling off and tipping your kayak with your gear under instructor supervision in the "colder" waters of Port Phillip Bay.
The course don’t offer the training in a pool as on the video you posted but they do use the protected waters in the lee off Sandringham yacht club for initial demonstration and practice.
The course also covers appropriate clothing for thermal protection, safety equipment etc which will reinforce the advice given by others on this forum.

If you do find a pool which offers kayak training post it up and let VYAK members know.
I did some Eskimo roll training in the pool at Monash University Clayton many years ago but that was run by a canoe polo club at the university.
fatyakker
Apprentice

Post by fatyakker »

Thanks for all the feedback guys

I have decided in the interest of safety to sell, with 3 kids it is just not worth it

I have a goal fitness level and when reached will reward myself with a new tandem island I can enjoy with the family.

I will soon post an add for a pa 14 with trailer, sail, sounder, live tank and more

Cheers Mick