HOW TO COOK REDFIN

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Wortho78
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie outback- blue

HOW TO COOK REDFIN

Post by Wortho78 »

Hi all I got a few redfin up at Lake Eildon just wanted to know how to cook them as I not eat fish thanks
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Re: HOW TO COOK REDFIN

Post by Haynsie »

I like to scale them fresh, roll in flour (whole or filleted) and pan fry in butter and olive oil, then finish with a squeeze of lemon. If it's a large fish put a couple of slits along it's sides to help it cook evenly.

They're bloody nice in the smoker also.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Haynsie wrote:I like to scale them fresh, roll in flour (whole or filleted) and pan fry in butter and olive oil, then finish with a squeeze of lemon. If it's a large fish put a couple of slits along it's sides to help it cook evenly.
X2

Same but not; Off the hook, scale/gut and slice through skin, melt down some butter, add olive oil and season with salt/pepper. Lay fish in foil, pour over butter etc and rub into flesh. Grate lemon or lime rind over fish and place chunks of same in cavity, then complete wrapping in foil making sure to keep all mixture inside, then cook on coals of fire or BBQ. If you manage to catch a few nice yabbies at the same time (fish gut on string), the tails don't go to bad stuffed inside either.

Eddie
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Post by cbarker54 »

Scale and gut leave whole. Coat in seasoned flour with a few dried herbs for flavour.

Bake in the weber, the flour seals in the juices while the outside goes crispy.
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
sog
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revolution

Post by sog »

Fillet, skin and cook in beer batter
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

I usually fillet and skin reddies as I find them really tough and annoying to scale. They make really nice fish burgers - roll the fillets in a bit of flour, shallow fry and put them in a soft bap roll with a slice of cheese and a nice dollop of mayo. :yahoo: YUMMY!!!!!!
Wortho78
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie outback- blue

Post by Wortho78 »

Thanks for yr help all I'll cook it tomorrow can't wait