My boat.

Show off your kayak!
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

My boat.

Post by Deefa »

After 7 months of pimping and refining my kayak, it is pretty much done.

Cheap ebay yak, same hull as eco ambush. I have sprinkled some SOLAS tape around the hull, light pole and crate, for low-light visibility around any vision impaired stinker captains...
Echo 100 FF, wet shoot-through mount for the transducer with ultrasound gel, display wedged into the drink holder. battery behind rear twist hatch, bungeed in place in container.
A triple rod holder on the centre console, two holders pointing at 10 & 2 aclock, A basket for lure boxes in the middle.
A new 5 holder rocket launcher setup (I am finding too much drag induced turning when trolling one deep diver lure from the front holders) - it holds my anchor reel, net, 'priest' hammer and my spare rod as well.
Crate with holes for fish bag, any other stuff I rarely need. :) I keep valuables in rear twist hatch, and pliers/tools/glasses in twist hatch between legs, along with a snack. Sea anchor wedged in front. Light/flag pole in cable-tie 'holders' down one inside corner of the crate (I forgot this during the pics, added later)
Anchor trolley running from rear to about 3/4 forward on the starboard side.
Everything is pretty much leashed, I don't take everything every trip (if only trolling, leave anchor/sea anchor/spare rod.
Tyre tube in repair...
Cockpit view:
Light/Flag pole.

While I have no issues righting a capsized yak and re-entering, I'm kinda interested in how I would go with a full load...
Last edited by Deefa on 21 Dec 2013, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: My boat.

Post by Babylon »

Very nice setup :clap: :clap: cheers babylon :thumbsup:
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

That's not a yak! It's an engineers wet dream!
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

very very nice

I often go out with a full load
Last edited by Ghurkin on 21 Dec 2013, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
winchbitch
Lord of the fish
kayak: wavedancer kingfisher

Post by winchbitch »

Nice setup Deefa, although that trolley could be a bit tricky to use :evilgrin:
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

winchbitch wrote:Nice setup Deefa, although that trolley could be a bit tricky to use :evilgrin:
I gave it a workout in pretty mild conditions today, and getting the anchor reel off the trolley was pretty easy - the yak hadn't started to rotate then. Retreiving the anchor was the hard part, I couldn't get the yak to point in to the wind/chop. Not sure how I would go in 15kt winds - maybe I will stay away from those conditions.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Deefa wrote:
winchbitch wrote:Nice setup Deefa, although that trolley could be a bit tricky to use :evilgrin:
I gave it a workout in pretty mild conditions today, and getting the anchor reel off the trolley was pretty easy - the yak hadn't started to rotate then. Retreiving the anchor was the hard part, I couldn't get the yak to point in to the wind/chop. Not sure how I would go in 15kt winds - maybe I will stay away from those conditions.
I dont trawl out front either, if you stop paddling to attend to a line next thing you know yak starts to slow and turn and the other line is wrapped around the rudder, or your paddle.

I use two half trolleys, that way it avoids trolley trying to cut over side of yak (if that was the reason for the 3/4 trolley), and end anchor points can be located further forward and aft then normal. Anchor rope is secured with central zig zag cleat, with rope running through carbiners attached to anchor trolley loops. To retrieve I run slack part of anchor rope (upline of where cleated) through front trolley clip. Run that trolley up to front before even starting to retrieve anchor. Then pull anchor rope to relieve tension on rear trolley while pulling that forward and unclip. Release rope from cleat and it automatically switches it to front trolley guide already at bow. Dont need to run trolley forward whilst under pull from anchor. Yak swings to face current as it takes up the slack, then i haul anchor up dragging yak forward.

Having two half trolleys also means i can anchor out the back and drift chute out the front. stops nose of yak swinging at anchor and tangling lines.
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

laneends wrote:
Deefa wrote:
I dont trawl out front either, if you stop paddling to attend to a line next thing you know yak starts to slow and turn and the other line is wrapped around the rudder, or your paddle.

I use two half trolleys, that way it avoids trolley trying to cut over side of yak (if that was the reason for the 3/4 trolley), and end anchor points can be located further forward and aft then normal. Anchor rope is secured with central zig zag cleat, with rope running through carbiners attached to anchor trolley loops. To retrieve I run slack part of anchor rope (upline of where cleated) through front trolley clip. Run that trolley up to front before even starting to retrieve anchor. Then pull anchor rope to relieve tension on rear trolley while pulling that forward and unclip. Release rope from cleat and it automatically switches it to front trolley guide already at bow. Dont need to run trolley forward whilst under pull from anchor. Yak swings to face current as it takes up the slack, then i haul anchor up dragging yak forward.

Having two half trolleys also means i can anchor out the back and drift chute out the front. stops nose of yak swinging at anchor and tangling lines.
Cheers Keith,
I had worked out that I needed some way to swap the rope from anchored at stern, and to haul it via the bow. You have given me something to work on, thanks.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

I think winchb might have been referring to your cart / trolley only having one wheel fitted ;)

Oh yeah, have you been out for an extended sit in it yet ? A seat pad of some description might improve comfort. Clark rubber sells some cheap kiddies foam kick boards that do the trick.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Deefa
Square eyes

Post by Deefa »

wokka1 wrote:I think winchb might have been referring to your cart / trolley only having one wheel fitted ;)

Oh yeah, have you been out for an extended sit in it yet ? A seat pad of some description might improve comfort. Clark rubber sells some cheap kiddies foam kick boards that do the trick.
What wheel? Two rings, no pulleys. ;) I won't be anchoring in over 5kt winds with this setup - but I may invest in some pulleys soon.

Re: hard seat - I've been in it for 6-7 hours, no probs. I have more trouble with my legs than backside - I like to get out and move/stretch every hour or so, or I can't get up out of the yak. (I should probably lay off the weights at the gym the day before my trips. :shhh: )