Living with the PA for a month / 9mth UPDATE

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Living with the PA for a month / 9mth UPDATE

Post by bilby »

Hi all,
With all the hype and talk of everyone upgrading to a PA i will try and tell you what i've found during the last month, living with pus-nuts the Papaya PA.
I sold my much beloved Outback to Deano's in early may, and prepared for the arrival of the new beast, on arrival everything was how it should be, but being me i checked everything out and fitted a sounder and a white light, by then i couldn't wait to go for a fish and test her out.
First thing i noticed when i got it, was its initial weight, its heavy but everything is well balanced and the wheels are a huge improvement over the old version of wheeleez. All the rods and tackle boxes have a place and can be stashed to the yak at home and makes setup a breeze. At the water, i took out the trolley and got in, without getting my feet wet :D, pedalling out i thought i was doing a higher cadence (more pedals) than normal but when i noticed i was keeping up with a walker on the beach i knew i was doing about 5kph +.
There is so much room on these things that i could easily take four rods, all my tackle, lunch, jackets, etc, for a full days fishing no problems, being able to stand was the reason i wanted a PA, for one sight fishing is a huge advantage and makes accurate casting easier, two as i suffer a bit of lower back pain, being able to stretch my legs is awesome, on the subject of standing the PA'S are extremely stable but standing in 10kn plus winds i reckon it would be easy (for me anyway) to fall out, not from kayak stability but from me overbalancing. Fish ability is unreal and as you can stand and walk up to the front hatch to get tackle etc, it makes the old shimmy, shimmy forward to get stuff or take a leak a thing of the past.
The steering is good once you get used to it, and the turning circle is good for a big yak, i did notice that the mirage drive, hits the hull underneath at full stroke, its not a huge issue but the fins lay parallel to the ground and could be damaged more easily once on the beach.
All in all i'm rapt with the pa, they are a big, heavy yak, pretty quick through the water and a great platform to fish out of, the seat is awesome, the freeboard is high and a very dry yak. I couldn't think of anything that would make them any better, except for having more colors to choose from (three is a bit rough).
Cheers Bilby.
UPDATEOK well its been 9 months with Pus-nuts the PA, I thought i would put a few pro's and cons of the beast i have found so far.
As everyone knows the PA'S are a big, heavy and hard to manage yak on the beach, anyone who reckons they are on par with an Outback or Revo have rocks in their heads. The newer Hobie trolleys are a huge improvement but over soft sand they are still very hard to pull / drag / push, I've tried a few different wheel ideas and reckon if Hobie used the 30cm Wheelez wheels it would make lugging the heavier yaks in the range PA, AI, TI so much easier, why they use such small wheels has me stuffed. The fish ability of the PA'S is awesome, i've had some great days standing and casting lures around Mallacoota, The Wallagaragh river, Lakes Entrance, PPB, the Patto, it does take a bit of getting used to standing and fishing but after a few minutes your confidence grows and grows, as the yak would be near impossible to flip (in smooth seas anyway), by far the worst feature on the Pro anglers is the steering, it is crap in anything but smooth conditions (you are always adjusting the trim) but they do handle following, bow and off the nose swells with ease, you just need to always be on the steering lever, but most yaks will vary off course a bit in lumpy seas. I've never had a wave break over the side and I've been out in some bad conditions, a wet arse is not a problem as the seat drains any rain, wave sprays through the scuppers under the seat. The seat is great, its comfy and gives plenty of support, it doesn't get hot and breaths well, i've got a bit of a stuffed lower back and i can do 6hr stints no probs, the peddle position is good and the ergo's are spot on. The Hobie livewell's are another awesome piece of kit, these things can hold up to 8 US gallons (approx 35litres) which equates to 35kg and you wouldn't even notice that its there, the livewell is great for comps but its also awesome for keeping your catch fresh until the end of the session, the battery lasts for ages and i've yet to have it run out during a full days fishing. The side mounting boards are a great idea and can accommodate a lot of gear ie sounders, rod holders etc. One tip i highly recommend is to cut out the bottom edge of the seat the edge of the seat is too low and really restricts opening the lid to the tackle box, i jigsawed an extra 15mm out of the height and about 20mm each side and its made a heap of difference, (if your unsure i can send some pics of the mod).

Anyway apart from the weight issue these are an awesome yak for serious fishing.
Bilby.
Last edited by bilby on 17 Mar 2011, 20:23, edited 7 times in total.
Bill 0409139460
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Re: Living with the PA for a month

Post by cruiser »

Glad to read you are enjoying the pa Bilby ,thanks for shareing

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
Bigyakka
Square eyes
kayak: 2010 P.A a sexy dune one

Post by Bigyakka »

I agree fully Bilby :D Its a great yak and you could seriously stay at at sea for a full day and have everything you need. I agree on the falling in would be an over balance on our behalf as i think it would take some seriouse issues to roll the beast(except surf launching) Hopefully i dont fall in off it as i dont need to give Mtfisho any more ammo :lol: :lol: All in all a great yak
78.5cm, 5.5kg Snapper Sunnyside, 59cm flathead safety beach, 56cm Salmon safety beach, 60cm Snook Black Rock, 34cm King George Whiting Oliver Hill, 38.5cm Bream Patterson River
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Rapt to here you are enjoying pus-nutz Bilby and happy with the layout, they certainly seem to be doing what they were designed to do. "Fish".

As for the balance, practise makes perfect, isn't that what they say ? I am guessing you will get the hang of it as time goes bye.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

Good to hear you are enjoying the pa bilby that made for a good read. Makes me want to upgrade at the end of this year even more
deano
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA

Post by deano »

Glad you're enjoying it mate. Looks great with the few mods you made to it.
Nice work.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.

Post by bilby »

Thanks fella's, i still like the Outbacks though.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
bilby
PHD in Yakology.

Re: Living with the PA for a month / 9mth UPDATE

Post by bilby »

bump :)
Bill 0409139460
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Hi mate, I brought the later model with the rudder change and its a vast improvement. Took bozzies out prior and got really frustrated with the steering.

The new model is awesome cause your ARM rests naturally on the rudder control at a great height. Gets in the way slightly as it sits where your 6th rod would be stored but taking 6 rods is overkill...... isn't it?

I believe there are conversion kits available or you can do what some (like bozzie) have done and remount it like a boat throttle.

Like you, I am stoked with the beast and look forward to my trips.

Cheers
Herbie
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
bilby
PHD in Yakology.

Post by bilby »

Hi Herbie, does the Pa actually hold its course better with the steering upgrade or does it just operate smoother ??? i know the newer system uses pulleys instead of running through tubing like on my 2010 model.
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460