Hopefully they make a full recovery and learn a lesson with it
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Re: Well Earned Beer

Post by paddlepop »

On ya Daz.
Not too much beer though.....beer drinkers don't make for good swimmers!!!! ;)
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
lunar12
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Extreme Kayaks Outlaw

Post by lunar12 »

Well done mate.

Question 1: Wouldn't have been easier if you just called 000 as soon as you realised the kayak had no paddler and let them handle it (perhaps even quicker) ?

Question 2: Pending he had his mobile phone with him, why didnt the kayaker do that?
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie outback

Post by DOMINATOR »

lunar12 wrote:Well done mate.

Question 1: Wouldn't have been easier if you just called 000 as soon as you realised the kayak had no paddler and let them handle it (perhaps even quicker) ?

Question 2: Pending he had his mobile phone with him, why didnt the kayaker do that?
Would have been easier just to get in his car and drive home 000 might not have got there within 20-mins if u are in a situation to help save someone sooner from possible drowning I really don't think a descent human being really has to think. Thank God Daz is just one of those people rather than putting it in to the its not my job to save people basket. If there was more people like Daz around there would be a lot less crime etc. I just hope the young bloke recovers mentally from the ordeal and doesn't keep him away from the water in the future with the memory of how easy it is to become unstuck.
ANYONE NEEDING A FULLY LICENSED AND INSURED ELECTRICIAN CONTACT DOM ON 0409135701
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

Rhino wrote:I appreciate the comments, but I think they would have been ok at the end of the day.

I'd left my phone at home which I don't think I have ever done, but somebody had called the police. I don't know whether it was the family I spoke with, the girlfriend of the brick shithouse, a local resident or somebody else who'd noticed the drama.
The police helicopter came over as I got off the ski and the police boat was on the way, although it was called off. They would have been picked up not too long after we'd done it anyway

I think most of the boats were at Port Melbourne again. There were none at Altona at the time.
Brett
lunar12
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Extreme Kayaks Outlaw

Post by lunar12 »

Cool
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

GoneFishn wrote:Three cheers for the new Hoff
yay thank god I'm not it any more :bananaman:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

The only thing I've got to say is...WHY the hell would you take a kid that young out in a Kayak? My grand daughters 5 & 9 keep asking for me to take them out and I refuse to until, as I've told them "when you can swim 4 laps of the pool effortlessly" I'll take you. I think he's a total idiot and so is anyone else that "thinks" its cool to take their little kid out for a spin. As Darren said "S#!^ happens" and can happen fast, what would have happened if Darren hadn't seen them and the guy got so cold he just slipped away, what about the kid? What a dip S#!^...the only thing he should have got is a punch in the head.
And as someone who nearly drowned as a kid, I hope that this event does not affect the kid, still in the back of my mind every time I go on the water.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Firstly, you're not my mate.

Secondly, what is it with you and trying to make other people look stupid?

Honestly, it's having the opposite effect.