Well Earned Beer (Altona Rescue)

GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Well Earned Beer

Post by GoneFishn »

Rhino wrote:So that's two rescues this week that I know of. The police told me of another very recently where a kayak that had a sail had gone over and the yakker couldn't re-right it. He ended up being rescued 5 kilometres out to sea.
Hey Darren do you know much more on this one. Was it an Island or kayak fitted with a PA sail?
Pearcy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport (pretend its a big yak)

Post by Pearcy »

Its all been said by the others Daz so well done. We might start calling you the Hoff from now on, got the lifesaving, drinking and smoothing the ladies down pat (not sure we need to go as far as the budgie smugglers thoigh). Good effort big fella!
Pearcy.
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

Wow what can one say except good on you Rhino, it seems like you've developed a sixth sense for imperiled people of poor judgement. In my opinion a child that young has no place on a yak in the bay - my 9yo only gets to go on calm lakes with me so far.

I'm so hopeful that we don't have another tragedy this season, but given the early start of incidents and the apparent rise in frequency it almost seems inevitable.

Well done mate.
bj fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie sport

Post by bj fisherman »

That's a close call. Well done rhino.

During all this drama you noticed the hot girlfriend and police. :thumbsup:

I didn't think jet skiers were good for anything. I stand corrected.
Pb: snapper 67cm, garfish 44cm, calamari hood 25cm
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

cheaterparts wrote:well done again Rhino -- they'll have to put one of those life saver towers up for you soon or have you patrol the beach all summer
Thanks mate.

There is a Lifesaving club at Altona. It's on the other side of the pier from where I was. The first thing I did was look across to see if the flags were up. They weren't. I started to run there anyway but thought better of it and headed for my car. I drove passed the LSC and it was closed. I would have stopped there first and not have gone to the boat ramp.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

GoneFishn wrote:
Rhino wrote:So that's two rescues this week that I know of. The police told me of another very recently where a kayak that had a sail had gone over and the yakker couldn't re-right it. He ended up being rescued 5 kilometres out to sea.
Hey Darren do you know much more on this one. Was it an Island or kayak fitted with a PA sail?
No I don't Kelly. I asked some questions about it though, like was it a trimaran style with outriggers?. He said it was just a kayak with a sail. THe way he described it initially suggested that the sail was stuck. So I thought that the guy had left the yak and drifted 5kms out, but the copper meant that the sail was "stuck" in the water and he couldn't re-right it. He was still with it.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Thanks mate. I know that with my sail if I go over it either collapse or you just need to release one line from a jam cleat and it's all good.
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Sweet baby Jesus!

I reckon you deserve more than a beer for that effort mate.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Well done Dazza you have done what many would not have, the observation to see what was happening is something that should be rewarded.
I think a mention to whomever is involved with the bravery awards wouldnt go astray.

Once again well done..

Enjoy the well deserved froofi..
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
squidgyflicker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 hobie revolution 13

Post by squidgyflicker »

Haynsie wrote:Sweet baby Jesus!

I reckon you deserve more than a beer for that effort mate.
Too right mate...bloody good job done rhino, well done on the quick thinking too,glad to see you didn't go out yourself without back up or a pfd