Well Earned Beer (Altona Rescue)

vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Re: Well Earned Beer

Post by vikodin »

Good stuff mate.
Glad to know there are still decent people in this world that go way beyond too help a total stranger.

Fair ordeal for the kayakers involved I bet, one they will never forget and take for granted.
But I'm sure its something that has effected you rescuers too and will need to take at least a dozen beers to process the emotions of what went on today.

:thumbsup:
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

Well done darren :clap:

with all the crap going on with the perception of "optional" wearing of PFD's this just re-enforces the fact and the consensus. JUST WEAR THE THING that could be the difference between life and death.

With the wind condidtions today I gather there were not many people out on the bay to see this and act. Good on you for being able to observe the unfolding dire situation and acting on it in a responsible and effective way :thumbsup:

Enjoy your beers mate :pint:
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Ghurkin wrote:Mate :king: :clap: :clap: :clap: come around here Rhino, I'll have a beer with you, :up: well done mate.
Thanks boys. If I lived closer we'd be on it Steve. :cheers:

They were wearing lifejackets Tas. I don't know how long they'd been in the water or how much longer they would have been.

No one else on the beach had noticed that they were in trouble. But I guess they had no reason to. IT was a warm day and people were playing in the water. No big deal. They were too far out to be obvious to most, but because I'm looking for kayaks I noticed them.

A couple of other funny things to come out of this. On Tuesday night (the day the last bloke was rescued) I went down to Millers Rd with a couple of beers. I got out of my car on the opposite side of the beach and walked across the road with my open stubby. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted the divvy van pull up at Millers Rd. I tried to hide the stubby and put it down on the beach wall trying to conceal it. It's a dry area where I was. The coppers entered the Esplanade and I heard them stop. I looked along the beach and out of the corner of my eye i saw them reverse and pull in near me. I thought I was pinched for driving with a traveller and drinking in a dry area, then one of the coppers yelled, "Rhino!" It turns out I knew him. It didn't go unnoticed that his young female partner was gorgeous either. Isn't that right Dognuts? She was one of the coppers who turned up and gave me a ride back to the boat ramp today. So I'm on a first name basis with her now :lol: :yahoo:

When I got to the boat ramp I went to thank the jet skiiers again. The guy I went with was out having fun so I got speaking with his parents. THey told me how they wondered what the hell was going on. I'd come running out the blue and hijacked their son and his ski. They had started coming up with conspiracy theories about what I was doing. They wondered why I was at the boat ramp if the people that needed help were on the other side of the pier. They thought that I might have come up with an elaborate story, taken off with the son, knocked him on the head, thrown him off the ski and then stole it.

Strange day.

When I saw the kid I was happy to have taken enough interest to have done something about it and not ignored it. I didn't know he was there because they were too far out to distinguish. I don't know how I'd have handled reading a bad news story tomorrow knowing I'd done nothing.

But I shared this story to highlight again just how important it is to wear a PFD, no matter how good you think you are. What worries me is that it's only October and all this S#!^ is happening already.
Last edited by Rhino on 19 Oct 2013, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Wow.

All I have to say is top work!!...and wow.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

Maybe you can get the police women to thank you personally or punish you....
MickS
Square eyes
kayak: PA 14 in Olive

Post by MickS »

Great work mate, cool calm and collected...good on ya!
Good to see you paying attention to the ladies as well :up:
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Fish Grylls wrote:Maybe you can get the police women to thank you personally or punish you....
The thought did cross my mind, but I don't think my Mrs would like it. I did make a flirty comment to her though. Something about handcuffs.
Dibbles
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA12

Post by Dibbles »

wow that's an eventful day.. Definitely a slabs worth...You keep going like this rhino and you'll be up for one of those community saftey award thingos. :up:

As for the PDFs, I drive a car and wear a seat belt, I fish on the water in a yak and wear a PDF.... The only time that I forgot It felt really strange.. I just can't see why you wouldn't, especially down here where the waters so cold
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

:thumbsup: Well done Dazzle. Your a legend . Lucky your as observant as you are.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Rhino wrote: Shortly after an ambulance arrived and they examined the kid. He was suffering with mild hypothermia and was wrapped in the silver stuff and other blankets. The Dad was treated shortly after and had his temperature taken. His body temp was already down by eight degrees. The police gave me a lift back to the boat ramp where my car was and I think the father and young son were taken off the hospital.
if the fathers temp was down 8 deg then the little tacker would have droped his core temp even more

well done again Rhino -- they'll have to put one of those life saver towers up for you soon or have you patrol the beach all summer
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657