Brand new Adventure Island

Show off your kayak!
Serge
The force is strong in this one
kayak: RED - Adventure Island.

Re: Brand new Adventure Island

Post by Serge »

bjspinner wrote:
Serge wrote:Finally I was able to take the AI out for the first time yesterday. Sailed around Brighton pier. I am very happy and impressed as to how easy it was to operate. I've never had any experience in sailing before so this was all new to me. The only problem I had was putting the wheels back on while it was still in the water by the ramp. The wheels are inflated with air, I was holding the yak steady with one hand while trying to submerge the cart with the other which i found impossible to do. I had to dissemble the yak so as to put on the cart. How do other AI owners do it?
You could try taking one wheel off the cart so it is less buoyant.
Yes I thought about that only when I got home those wheels are easy to remove and re-attach.
For CCTV, Intercom, Access control or Alarm system please contact Serge on 0419 136 081. Service and installations.
MickS
Square eyes
kayak: PA 14 in Olive

Post by MickS »

Hi Serge, did you launch from the North Rd boat ramp yesterday around 3:30pm?
Serge

Post by Serge »

I was browsing around eBay and found tramps that match the colour of the AI's with front skirt shields for half the price sold in Australia. Has anybody bought a set? How good are they?
For CCTV, Intercom, Access control or Alarm system please contact Serge on 0419 136 081. Service and installations.
Serge

Post by Serge »

MickS wrote:Hi Serge, did you launch from the North Rd boat ramp yesterday around 3:30pm?
Yes that was me.
MickS
Square eyes
kayak: PA 14 in Olive

Post by MickS »

I was at the park with the kids, saw you taking off :thumbsup:
Serge

Post by Serge »

Serge wrote:Thanks Mike, but if I'm on the boat ramp I don't really want to drag the AI along the concrete.
mingle wrote:
Serge wrote:Finally I was able to take the AI out for the first time yesterday. Sailed around Brighton pier. I am very happy and impressed as to how easy it was to operate. I've never had any experience in sailing before so this was all new to me. The only problem I had was putting the wheels back on while it was still in the water by the ramp. The wheels are inflated with air, I was holding the yak steady with one hand while trying to submerge the cart with the other which i found impossible to do. I had to dissemble the yak so as to put on the cart. How do other AI owners do it?
This had me stumped for a while, but here's the best way to get your A.I. back on the cart:

1: Drag it up onto the beach.
2: Remove the mast/sail and anything that could fall off.
3: Fold the outriggers against the hull and use the paddle-keeper bungees to hold them against the yak.
4: Get the cart in one hand.
5: With the other hand, lift the entire boat using one of the side grab-handles, until it's about 70º from horizontal.
6: Slide the cart into the scupper holes and gently lower the boat back to the horizontal.

It takes a bit of practise and moderate strength, but it's easy once you've done it a few times.

I use my right hand to lift the boat, holding the cart in my left and I use the right-side grab handle
(if that makes sense!)

Cheers,

Mike.
Are the amas supposed to fold to the front or the rear of the AI?
Last edited by Serge on 16 Sep 2013, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
fishingbay
kayak: Hobie adventure island

Post by fishingbay »

I've been looking at that set aswell looks pretty good for the price especially with the spray skirts included.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Serge wrote:Are the amas supposed to fold to the front or the rear of the AI?
They fold to the back...
Spiegel35
kayak: Revo 13

Post by Spiegel35 »

Hi Serge,

i have had the same problems with the wheels being too buoyant when still in the water and trying to insert them in the AI.
If you take a fair bit of air out of the tyres you can get them in a bit easier, however its not nearly as smooth when your dragging it across solid ground. The guy i bought mine from seemed to have a lot of air out of the wheels and initially i wasnt sure why this was.
Ideally a cart with non bouyant wheels would be much better or one you just strap to the AI.
Anyone ever changed the AI wheels (hobie trax 2 ) and replaced them with something else on the same cart.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

mingle wrote:
Serge wrote:Are the amas supposed to fold to the front or the rear of the AI?
They fold to the back...
No they dont
mob 0423 492 759